One column has 35 words/phrases that were commonly used (slang) i, This worksheet allows students to both review the social history of the 1920s and 1950s while comparing it to the 1980s. This bundle contains 11 ready-to-use Roaring Twenties Worksheets that are perfect for students who want to learn more about The Roaring Twenties which is a phrase used to refer to the 1920s in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. Write a description of changes or demonstrate the changes in the living and/or working conditions of your chosen character from the period 1900-1929. x��\Io+Wv��W�W&���;۠� ��E�d�Y�hM|eY��9í���[�xql�.�5��|g(~�To\����`�p�����˅�n.�]�^�"}'��ݿ|�SS������>ם ]t�������Z�>G���~} �I[��b��Ck��s.��wa����Jg��=^�{�� p��|�P�U%C��׋�?�}���J�ze���{x�ހ� ���o�T��_��2eB��C�Ww����@|lLtHDh��Q���&`ŭ��meS0�ay��+����-}ԙ|���p�,�@���=��u�3�6�9�=3�N�\�qÉ)����3���鞞�������M;��������e‹��OuV�Ց䧴��/P�7 �Mw�u�ġ�fiK"^W?��v�M��d�4S�nX{����k8��=?6t�ҲG�U���x�̏��*�+No��:�@�:��9$�Y8�-�D�����fB:O��h�^�B. We've included some of these terms and phrases here so that you could brush up on your 1920's slang prior to coming to our show. drugs. /Contents 4 0 R>> � Y۬j� aOm����(Wy�鶍��U�����T�,��c.~ᨒ������ŗ?�����e��v�Y̧������ᦻ�ζj?�@Y�k_�`�#�gy����2�| K�����g1ZE��*��޵g����Y�֪��l��q�dRe*�[�Ǧ]_G��ڔK2%�B�(�88oTR�����Iٵq�.fR���6�A$�*邋�������/����%���?�P�5P�ׅW�.���My.������Ͽ�Byx�xJ�)kL���f`���Y�U�)_�΅Բ.�=�+Y&�d��_LA��d��>�a*0�盍��w*_�rm��bȂy�y���%�-o�S�X��ʦ�8����-m[�f�e�o�8�G���|0�s Swanky- Upscale, Ritzy. 11 0 obj Same as big shot, Bluenose - An excessively puritanical person, a prude, Carry a Torch - To have a crush on someone, Cat's Meow - Something splendid or stylish; similar to bee's knees; The best or greatest, Drugstore Cowboy - a guy that hangs around on a street corner trying to pick up girls, Flat Tire - A dull insipid, disappointing date. f�ʑ ��B���W�b���e��_m8��zY���$�K�x�q��hu"�`����9� �m p��ٰ�Ix[�&g�3�(�9�}��m�����Y�; young man who sleeps all day and doesn't have a job. So they are now FREE! Activity KEY, Harlem Renaissance Activity One Pager Graffiti Distance Learning, Roaring 20s Resources 1920s including Harlem Renaissance, World War I Central Powers Internet Scavenger Hunt WebQuest Activity, FREE "DECADES" GRAPHIC ORGANIZER 1900s-1910s-1920s-1930s-1940s-1950s-1960s-1970s, US HISTORY -1890s -1900s -1910s America 3-unit bundle 49, 50 & 31-slides, World War I Allied Powers Internet Scavenger Hunt WebQuest Activity, US History Borders PART 3 FREE 1920s, WWI, WWII, Cold War, Roaring Twenties and The Great Depression Matching Vocabulary Activity (20's), The Roaring Twenties and Great Depression New Deal Unit Bundle, Babe Ruth Internet Scavenger Hunt WebQuest Activity, First New Deal Internet Scavenger Hunt WebQuest Activity, Prohibition Internet Scavenger Hunt WebQuest Activity, An Industrial Nation- The Boom of the Early 1920s, World War I Woodrow Wilson Internet Scavenger Hunt WebQuest Activity. Check out this internet scavenger hunt! This worksheet is a great pre-reading activity to use when teaching an older text. endstream Check out this internet scavenger hunt! !y��X��� 6�hN:TJJ)�����]��P�,�M �H���6�d�}x�#~G�"��ɞ�`�]��_Ľb:t(W���eb�Y��/n��$��g�����{��ڳ�P h��� As with any era, the 1920's had time period specific slang. 1920's Slang Dictionary . Integrate math in your social studies curriculum. �EΉE_Է��@�,�.''��cly���y����[U-u�ƲI�$N@�Z��U_}ui�+D��B���b���{���D��w����ZG���b[|sC}!Uq��H�+mW�J�������t&��ke��������_�Y��\]¥�K�������a�﹖�W6=�U�D(��L�G9! Check out this internet scavenger hunt! �ځ*vm�#WŢSL���Vj|yI�jz>��x��%tZ�:�n��ì�݁4�L]F�k0P;�IF�]Puy���&h�w��4 ��Ws�}wI�IPk5��j���X 5��0i�Ƥ5����ӛ��dC����6[+U޻Aa�F���UԾ]'�u+�����f� k�hd �����O��#OH!Cy�R��;@J�U�PFyh��w�"n��d'Ѯ��x�8f��j��k�V��8����!2�D���K$04����_��J��(X�#z�|������)yx��-��:�ʪ���1I����&�F��Е�M6m��ω��� ���mv4{lor`����ސ� �����K�͇h��Zq$���7_xmal'�H�f���q(�*���X�9ZzN��LB���P�+��8,��,/��.�/�Ԡ��1LO1��[����5[pl��B�1��m��� A�η�,#�r.����%r���5b��L@���n�Yǥ� �aB�1��9"(෻L��}��h+Т&�4\:k:Ot:���}�W��M��6�BRp-ͱ��� �6Q����T4���J�! w�bs9�IYA��}?��m��E0r��4=���;.>-���K�h�ǡηS[ٰ�@���t�`�"`hyZ_:Ũ���/��K�/��5���ZS 5�x⒪k�����HJ���^��f�֙3n�钍�+�i_��k產Y(�w��a�M�~ 쥡Hi�-Y��z=� @�g\���5.l4G���H��F�|4Z��5U\��R�d�ѡL�'��Q;j�z����84c����Ǝ�a����A��]��R��ߛ���&�.�G7l��sc��4�ŐDq7��t�AI�r��s����k(�8}�x��M��8�{��q�tzAK���zK���2��a{�sX/��Q����|�� ^'q[`�1�+�;5��:h �H%Ջ�M������@�X����R����i� ��r'����u�)ݶ;��f�(g��:��G5 �t�D�{K(�O;)^�.�OVR/cU r� 1c��ؐ��u�� y"n1�f9��N���X�a�z�������-��`)�yF��HF��4��-�F:}��b��)����*ҶU�5�C"mѩ��G%Ѱ�޷��k���Oޓ�o�Ž�0{Κ���`Gۢ��u��w�M1F/�� `G.�p�,-%��z�s�gg�g6y��3��`x�Dg�Ziɚ!ܵƛGe:�l�����|c�b��p�f�kkF����ęTò�4��x������e�J�Z�x10+�q�B==���jZ�ay��^��6}�XF�K�G�/�w�k:N1P�$/�o�P9Fg���-}�4����TP˻�%K����h#�5�!o���C���/4 2 H6Ŗ��-2� �ŀD���w�b̍Q��R��r.R���&����/cBI^���}��u�}�a��&�i�8q87zt��c�C�Z�^O+�G�P^⁃���b�4`H�2� The 1920s were an especially rich era for slang. This worksheet accompanies the PowerPoint titled, "1920s Boom turns to Bust - Webquest PowerPoint." It sure is the berries! dewdropper. FREE!!! Here is a sampling. Student will already need some background information on the 1920s in order to completely comprehend this assignment. Go over Textbook Text and Graphic Organizer for Scopes Trial as a class. <>/Group <> stream <> Home | English Class Main | Gatsby Main | Gatsby Treasure Hunt, Bee's Knees - An extraordinary person, thing, idea, Berries - is attractive or pleasing; similar to bee's knees, As in "It's the berries. (In Class Activity) Tuesday, January 27: Prohibition, Red Scare, and Scopes Trial. Cold War Looking for a way to introduce or review Fireside Chats in your classroom? Check out this internet scavenger hunt! World War I <> �vRy��J����p 6�﹚dP\M]����U��雴l�'���:�G��Cz�g�4�U��)v@�09Y'A �d�e��{����)�vfDW��ʟS�:��eN��=Hc$��Ԝ r���о���҇4�� Eq��O��Df3f��b6L�����p$�]��&h64�����f�2�H�[�l���Y���W��f}}N�Ҟ���z�YO_N�aF���� A picture is worth a thousand words, and in this activity, students create an image about the artistry of the Harlem Renaissance. The Roaring 20’s gave birth to a number of new phrases – some of which are distinct to that era, and some of which are still used today. I used this with Of Plymouth Planta to walk. 1920s Slang Terms and Definitions. Check out this internet scavenger hunt! dead soldier. American History Smartboard Review Activities - 100 + Slides! Same as pill, pickle, drag, rag, oilcan, Frame - To give false evidence, to set up someone, Giggle Water - An intoxicating beverage; alcohol, Gin Mill - An establishment where hard liquor is sold; bar, Lounge Lizard - a guy that is sexually active, Pushover - A person easily convinced or seduced, Sheba - A woman with sex appeal (from the movie, Sheik - A man with sex appeal (from the Valentino movies), Speakeasy - An illicit bar selling bootleg liquor, Struggle Buggy - the backseat of a car. 1 0 obj endobj Roaring Twenties Powerpoint. A parent's worst nightmare, Take for a Ride -To drive off with someone in order to bump them off, Upchuck - To vomit when one has drunk too much. Free key that I was unable to upload with the activity (with the same name). endobj Students will use the scaffolded notes to guide their research throughout the website!Includes:- 3 page internet scavenger hunt (editable PDF or printable)- answer keyThis internet scaven, This PowerPoint presentation covers the economic factors that contributed to the "boom" of the early 1920s from an industrial approach. *���O&3Q ��b�U] T��TV���3��i�ݤ��be�M�ƃ����>��f The students group themselves up and they get a handout with two columns to match up. You m ay make This packet includes fun information on all kinds of popular products such as Kool-Aid, traffic lights, Band-Aid, and Green Giant. The challenge for students is in synthesizing their understanding of the art, music and literature of the Harlem Renaissance into a single image. endobj Check out this internet scavenger hunt! You can cut the vocabulary cards and definitions apart to match them or you can fold them to create flashcards.Includes:- vocabulary terms and definitionsVocabulary terms, Looking for a way to introduce or review Babe Ruth in your classroom? <>/Group <> Stuck On- To have a crush on someone. 5 0 obj Students will use the scaffolded notes to guide their research throughout the website!Includes:- 4 page internet scavenger hunt (editable PDF or printable)- answer ke, 10 Themes of the 1890s10 Themes of the 1900s10 Themes of the 1910s10 Themes of the 1920s10 Themes of the 1930s10 Themes of the 1940s10 Themes of the 1950s10 Themes of the 1960s10 Themes of the 1970s10 Themes of the 1980s10 Themes of the 1990s10 Themes of the 2000sThis graphic organizer can be used f, Looking for a way to introduce or review the Allied Powers of World War I in your classroom? This is how I introduce my 1920s unit but you could close your unit with this too. unattractive girl, student. Students will use the scaffolded notes to guide their research throughout the website!Includes:- 4 page internet scavenger hunt (editable PDF or printable)- answer key, US History Borders PART 3 FREE Check out this internet scavenger hunt! Students will use the scaffolded notes to guide their research throughout the website!Includes:- 3 page internet scavenger hunt (editable PDF or printable)- answer keyThis internet scav, Looking for a way to introduce or review the Empire State Building in your classroom? 1920s bug eyed betty. Utilize graphic organizer to identify: what they saw, how they felt, and what they witnessed in this exciting decade. 4 0 obj (The place where young sheiks struggle with young shebas). If you don't request extra foot juice tonight at that dive bar where you order the subpar pinot grigio, you are doing something wrong. /Length 3400 >> an empty beer bottle. The slang of the 1920s mirrored the social climate of the decade- loud, boisterous, and rebellious. The Bee's Knees, copacetic. stream 7 0 obj Reference Menu. Check out this internet scavenger hunt! Spiffy- 1920s slang term for "looking sharp," usually referring to a man's appearance. Two versions of this activity are included at different levels of challenge to enable differentiation of instruction. At Capone's Dinner & Show, our staff commonly uses slang terms from the prohibition era. �S�v�A����)lP�b�$� sD�]��eY'��|�v3Zt�� �}fJU� V�8����O2��̙�JY�9��́�/!��]�Z�N$��Ѽ���������X�{tf��S����ǂے�yv���^S��R %PDF-1.4 Hope someone can still find a use for them!If you are interested in the new Google Quizzes for American History, check them out here! World War II Students apply critical thinking and writing skills by creating two thesis-evidence-analysis charts in response to prompts about the liberal and conservative elements of the decad. It sure is the berries! )��u��0����o�` Z�;�TS\O%*MJ�����jx���p]0�r��_���5�5Z��[Nml9��֚rs �����h��rsM[rڕ�} �U/����|E��5z� ���W3U.P-P��7SG��� As with any era, the 1920's had time period specific slang. stream endstream This resource includes, Looking for a way to introduce or review the Central Powers of World War I in your classroom? x�3R��2�35W(�*T0P�R0T(�Y@���@QC= P A�J��� �1Tp�W� pretty or popular female, student. Swell- Awesome. A quick way for students to compare the cost of living in the 1920s vs. today. Have a swell time, but make sure you don't upchuck! It takes slang words from the 1920's, provides a definition, and then prompts students to provide a slang word that people use in present day that has replaced the old slang word. Homework: Use Scopes Trial Readings to complete Scopes Trial Readings Worksheet. Baseball stars were given nicknames such as “The Sultan of Sweat,” the “Big Train,” and the “Georgia Peach.” Calvin Coolidge was nicknamed “Cool Cal.” Big Cheese - The most important or influential person. endstream UPDATE: These files only work with Smart Notebook 16.2. endobj This resource is designed to accompany the 6-part PowerPoint series on the Roaring '20s, found here:https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/1920s-The-Roaring-20s-75-slides-HIGHLY-VISUALEnjoy! Monday, January 26: Intro to the 1920s. endobj A collection of English ESL worksheets for home learning, online practice, distance learning and English classes to teach about slang, slang 1920s slang was prevalent all through the decade: from gangsters to the everyday civilian, learn what was popular to say amongst each other with our list.