It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Buy or make a pretty card and tell your teacher why you appreciate her (or him.) Volunteering at my kids’ school has given me an insight into the “behind the scenes” aspect of being a teacher. Learn how your comment data is processed. That might sound too simple but a sincere, verbal thank you is never a bad idea. The non-teaching staff (office workers, cafeteria workers, and custodians) deserve your thanks and kindness too. If you have the time to volunteer in class, offer some of that time. Donate a coat or jumper to charity (leaving a happy note in the pocket) Donate to the local food bank; Make christmas cards for your neighbours; Leave change in the vending machine; Sort through your toys and donate any that you no longer play with to charity or your local church 101 Random Acts of Kindness Ideas, All The Best Acts of kindness and Random Acts of Kindness Examples for Everyone, Acts of Kindness for Kids, You'll find over 200 Easy Random Acts of Kindness and Small acts of kindness. Newsflash: public school teachers don’t make a large salary and although I’m sure there are exceptions, the vast majority of teachers are teachers because they care about the education of our children. Most schools have some sort of teacher recognition forum, such as “teacher of the month.” Check to see if your community or school district has a teacher recognition or awards program you can nominate your teacher for. Clean up the area where you live by picking up litter. Apr 8, 2017 - Promoting acts of kindness teaches empathy and good citizenship. It’s okay to need a reminder to do important things. That sounds terrible, right? This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. These hard-working folks are often overlooked. If your school is in an urban area, how about buying some metro or train passes? Contact us 24/7. See all of the posts, plus other RAOK ideas and resources by clicking the image below. I was that person. Put together a basket with bottled water, bottled coffee or tea drinks, fun and healthy snacks, and maybe some fun and not-so-healthy snacks. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. Even if they’re too young to write complete sentences, maybe they can write their name or decorate the card or paper with stickers or drawings. These cookies do not store any personal information. Keep an eye out at yard sales and used book stores for grade-appropriate books. Your email address will not be published. This compilation will give you 50 acts of kindness that you can use in your classroom to engage your students in acts of kindness that they can do at school. But, the next time you think about teacher gifts, why not turn your thoughts to kindness acts? You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. I’m not proud of that. Your email address will not be published. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. Check beforehand to see what she’s got and if she has a wish list…the answer is probably yes. Do you know your teacher’s birthday? I haven’t always been kind or charitable towards my kids’ teachers. Feb 16, 2017 - Promoting acts of kindness teaches empathy and good citizenship. Give a clear voice to your documents! Gum is a big deal when you’re seven. Knowing a little bit about your teacher’s life outside the classroom can help you hone in on how to give the gift of kindness. If you can give your time, offer at various points in the year. I’m sure my largess had something to do with the fact that I felt guilty for being that jerk of a parent the teachers probably hated to deal with. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. DOWNLOAD THIS FREE PRINTABLE and share with your friends. My son’s second-grade teacher gives kids who got a 100% or more on their spelling test a piece of gum to chew during the next week’s test. I can’t really tell you when my “aha” moment came. Hold the door open for the person behind you. Hang it on your family’s bulletin board or slap a magnet on that baby and tack it to the front of your fridge as a reminder. Think about it: Most school restrooms are probably stocked with industrial grade supplies (AKA the kind of TP that feels like sandpaper), unless someone take the time to upgrade. Favorite hobby? Not an email. Knowing a little bit about your teacher’s life outside the classroom can help you hone in on how to give the gift of kindness. Promoting acts of kindness teaches empathy and good citizenship. They will come up with something and it will probably be something you’ve never thought of. Teachers that don’t have their own static class are making a tremendous impact on our kids so don’t forget about them! Feb 14, 2017 - Promoting acts of kindness teaches empathy and good citizenship. Everyone likes chocolate, right? You could even splurge for some of the nice toilet paper! Hold the door open for the person behind you. Compliments are one of the best acts of kindness we can bestow. I’m not saying teachers don’t like gifts. A teacher probably gets dozens of offers of help on back-to-school night but she might really need the help in mid-February. Ask your kids what they love about their teacher. I used to be that parent who gave a large donation to fund the Teacher Appreciation Week gift. Make sure you wear gloves and do it with an adult. If she’s a cat person or a Houston Astros fan, a heartfelt note written on a piece of note paper decorated with cats or a reference to her team winning the World Series is going to make her day. Give these to individual teachers or bundle them and give them to the school administrators to hand out as they see fit. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website.