As part of the ongoing celebration of the Allman Brothers Band ‘s 50th anniversary, a 4-CD set titled Fillmore West ’71, was released on September 6, culled from a weekend of live music recorded at the San Francisco venue.The band was the middle act playing between headliners Hot Tuna and the 24-piece opener Trinidad Tripoli Street Band. Privacy Policy | We do not sell or share your personal information | © 2020 All About Jazz. The music? Learn more. Find articles, news, musician pages, and more! In that respect, it’s a playbook for performing guitarists. Though we've all heard those songs before, the Allman's, much like the Grateful Dead, rarely played their songs the same each night, so plenty of these tunes will sound quite different than their first cousins over on the At Fillmore East double live album. You can still see all customer reviews for the product. Allman Brothers Band devotees happily listen to different versions of the same songs over and over, marveling in the majesty of them, as well as in the subtle variations in each performance. Must-hear tracks: “You Don’t Love Me” (1/31/71 and 1/29/71), “Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’” (1/29/71), “Dreams” (1/29/71). Privacy Policy | Featuring the iconic roster of guitarists Duane Allman … The band didn't change up their set too much on those early tours, so most of the songs made famous on the Fillmore East album are also here, the band just really changing up a song or two each night and the rest staying intact from night to night. My first exposure to ABB at the Fillmore East was Alison Steele in NY playing the entire album on WNEW one night the week of it's release and as a child of the sixties, (some of you may know what I mean) I was hooked ever since. The same was the case several weeks earlier, when they’d touched down at promoter Bill Graham’s San Francisco home, the Fillmore West, where the Allmans were opening for local favorites Hot Tuna. View credits, reviews, tracks and shop for the 2020 Vinyl release of Fillmore West 1-31-71 on Discogs. On the first evening, the rootsy "Midnight Rider" comes out for a spin, followed by a lengthy "Dreams", but on the show from the 30th, both of those are scratched in favor of the blues classic "Stormy Monday". That is why Duane' cabinets had "Bass" on the corner. Design, CMS, Hosting & Web Development :: ePublishing, On PremierGuitar.com, "Sponsored Content" refers to articles, videos, or audio recordings that are produced or curated by an advertiser but that, Classic Fender Amps in the Palm of Your Hand, Devon Allman and Duane Betts Announce New Album and Tour as The Allman Betts Band, The Allman Brothers' "Play All Night: Live at the Beacon Theatre 1992" Album Review, Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks to Leave Allman Brothers Band, Film Review: The Punch Brothers - "How to Grow a Band", 5. The record company must have no shame. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. You Don’t Love Me Reviewed in the United States on September 14, 2019. Membership has its privileges. Second, the live versions of these songs are a work in progress. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Although the arrangements differ, they are similar. The performances are what most of us would expect from The Allman Brothers in their prime but are likely not going to replace "Live At Fillmore East" in the hearts, mind and ears of the faithful such as myself. Extended excursions reveal the evolution of the material and that I love. I suspect that this would not have been released if Gregg Allman were still alive. And Gregg Allman's vocals during this period always seemed so lived-in and slightly weary--perfect for the band. Of all the many live recordings with the famous lineup, they all pretty much feature the same 6 to 8 songs that were played, over and over again. Disc 3: 1/31/1971 Part I - Statesboro Blues; Trouble No More; Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’; In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed; Midnight Rider; Hoochie Coochie Man; Dreams; You Don’t Love Me. It seems to have been hastily released, without much effort to correct flaws, and unlike Fillmore East, no effort to use the best songs from three sets, because apparently, they could make more money releasing this as a 4 CD album. First the recording quality is poor, and apparently not much effort was made to improve the quality either in mixing or mastering. With all of my whining about feeling slightly ripped off aside, I'll recommend this release wholeheartedly to anyone on the prowl for hard to find live ABB material. Whipping Post, Added: July 29th 2019Reviewer: Pete PardoScore: Related Link: Band Facebook PageHits: 946Language: english[ Printer Friendly Page ][ Send to a Friend ], For information regarding where to send CD promos and advertising, please see our. You can hear the band perfecting the arrangements that later appeared on At Fillmore East. Few fans know that when the Allman Brothers Band recorded At Fillmore East— considered by many to be the greatest live rock album ever released—during the weekend of March 12-13, 1971, they were not the headlining band. Disc 1, 1/29/1971 I was lucky enough to see/hear the band several times (with Duane Allman) and they were truly one of the best bands of that era. We recommend moving this block and the preceding CSS link to the HEAD of your HTML file. Disc 2: 1/30/1971Statesboro Blues; Trouble No More; Don’t Keep Me Wonderin’; In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed; Stormy Monday; You Don’t Love Me; Whipping Post.