“There’s this expectation from others that there’s no problem now, like I can just go back to my old life.”. I don’t have family waiting for me back in the States. Publishes Quarterly in February, May, August, and November. The Mexican consulate employee assigned to Uribe was friendly, but once the woman saw Uribe’s deportation record, Uribe says, her entire demeanor changed. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), along with supporting documents and a fee, an alien can ask the U.S. government for permission to apply for entry before the required waiting time is complete. “She didn’t look at a single thing I [brought], just asked me if I had a husband or a child and asked me questions about my childhood and then denied [my visa] and gave me a piece of paper saying that unless [these things] changed, I would be denied again,” Uribe says. is the basic collection of immigration laws in the United States. Her family was also deported to Mexico and now lives in Tijuana, leaving her with no real roots in the U.S. Over the past several years, Landa has moved at least seven times—within Mexico and to study abroad in London. Similarly, aliens accused of terrorist activity are not likely to receive a waiver of inadmissibility. one of the most anti-immigrant periods in modern American history. If you are deported, you may be able to file an I-212 form to apply for readmission to the U.S. I want that for others too,” Uribe says. The cop who apprehended her transferred her to the custody of immigration authorities, triggering a process that would lead to Uribe’s deportation and 10-year bar from the United States. Much of her energy is being funneled into helping other displaced people, including a self-help guide she consulted on for people post-deportation. Her hope for the New Year is that she can root herself somewhere, as it’s been years since she felt a sense of home and belonging. I.N.A. This includes restricted travel to other countries for Landa, and the recent denial of Uribe’s visa, which would have allowed her to travel to the U.S. for the holidays to be with her family for the first time in 10 years. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Foreigners in UK, the webportal for immigrants in the UK. Sign up to receive email updates from YES! § 212 is the law defining the circumstances under which an alien may be inadmissible and the length of time an alien must wait before applying for reentry. Getting B Visa after 10 year ban 04-03-2016, 07:34 PM. “Even after a 10-year bar, I am not able to just get in line for a visa, or however people think this happens,” Landa explains.