Use this weight to determine the amount of ground beef or ground pork sausage to add. By Helen. I have used pork steak in the past, this year I made some venison sausage with mild Italian bulk sausage. Pour in the red wine and reduce until most of the liquid is absorbed. Lower Sodium Venison Stroganoff. How to Make Venison Sausage. Liberally salt and pepper both sides of burger. Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3. Also, much easier to grind if it's half frozen, especially the fat. my ground meat , I add 1 pound of bacon to 10 pound of venison . To make the jerky, I enlisted the help of a Weston Jerky Gun kit. I lean towards dry binders like dried eggs or dried milk. Beef trimmings from my local supermarket... free or cheap and works better than pork fat in my opinion. ground venison , planko Italian seasoned bread crumbs, egg beaten, lipton beefy onion soup mix, southern garlic salt, seasonall, lemon pepper , chili powder Lastsight. Reed, “Field and Stream”; A Better Burger: Five Tips for Making Ground Venison Patties; Scott Bestul, et al. Trim the external fat of fresh, cooled venison with sharp knife. I guess I am looking for a way to make my venison stick together without actually adding another meat to it. The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. To do this, we used a remote thermometer. Mix in meat seasonings of your choice to mask the flavor of the venison, if desired. Chili Instant Pot® Venison Chili Chili is one of my favorite ways to utilize the abundance of ground meat you get with a deer. To cook Burgers: Shape ground venison into patties. Do not dry it at lower temperatures. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc. Add equal amounts of ground pork sausage or ground beef with a 20 percent fat ratio to the ground venison to achieve a 50/50 mixture. You can add 25 percent pork and 25 percent beef for three-meat mixture. Perfectly marbled ground venison will pour out of your grinder. seasoning mix, firmly packed brown sugar, cider vinegar, boneless pork shoulder roast and 1 more Crispy Venison Steaks with Spéculoos Crust and Blueberry Sauce On dine chez Nanou eggs, carrots, unsalted butter, unsalted butter, frozen blueberries and 8 more Making Your Own Blackened Seasoning (Cajun Seasoning) Earth Food and Fire I guess I just like my elk, deer, bear and other food straight up. Continue to add venison and fat into grinder. Discard the trimmings. The 275-degree temperature will kill of any pathogens that might still be in the meat. Use a meat grinder to process the meat into the desired texture. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the Weston’s original jerky gun is the Cadillac of jerky guns. this is a good hamburger recipe , we use the ground venison with . To make Ground Venison: Feed venison pieces into meat grinder. I get those trimmings and mix 20% in with the ground venison. 155°F                          4 hours. Gives great flavor and enough fat to hold it together. Where has this been all my life? Ground venison is a very and occasionally gamey lean meat that comes from deer, and its texture is generally improved by mixing in pork sausage or beef. Privacy Policy There are many ingredients that can serve as binders. Tracy said it is unwise to trust the factory-installed dial on any oven or dehydrator. It also shoots out two strips of jerky at a time. best ever juicy burger 1/2 cup Hellmans real mayonnaise 2 lbs ground burger 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs 1 packet Liptons onion soup mix mix … Aim for a quantity equal to 10 percent of the total weight of the ground meat. We’ve used cheap jerky guns that we’ve bought from the local farm/department store, but they were just that: cheap and unreliable. Plenty fine to make jerky, but any hotter than that and it would be difficult because it could overcook the jerky on the outside while leaving undone pockets on this inside. Makes a great tasting burger that holds together on the grill. Keep the meat cold while processing to prevent an environment for bacterial growth. Buy a box of ends and pieces. diagnosis or treatment. I add about 20-25%. used as a substitute for professional medical advice, Evenly distribute roughly 15% cubed pork fat with the venison. In the past I've mixed pork with my ground deer meat and it has been good or maybe good enough...... so what else can I do? Adjust the thermostat as necessary to obtain the desired temperature. this is a good hamburger recipe , we use the ground venison with . For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. 2020 Looks like i will be trying some new recipes this fall. Makes a great tasting burger that holds together on the grill. To check the temperature, place the metal stem of a dial thermometer between two dehydrator trays so that you can read the dial outside the dehydrator. Copyright © (For more venison cooking tips check out my free guide!) This assists in air flow, which is the whole point of drying meat for jerky. Safe food recommendations call for drying jerky in the 145 to 155 degree range. I started by taking two pounds of pure ground venison (no pork mixed with it, which is important) and placed it in a big glass bowl. If you can get just the beef fat, I use 10% ground beef fat with 90% ground venison. This will kill any remaining pathogens that might be in the meat. She holds a Bachelor of Science in animal science and business from University of Wisconsin-River Falls. That doesn’t necessarily mean you need to add it while grinding—I often grind 100% venison that I plan to keep loose for recipes like Thai lettuce cups, taco meat, or Shepherd’s pie. Although the oven’s gauge said “170,” the actual temperature was about 164. Mix the venison mixture, pasta, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, and Parmesan cheese in a 3-quart shallow baking dish. pinterest-pin-it. It’s big — holds almost 2 pounds worth of ground meat — and built to last. For burgers, I like beef fat @ 10%. For burgers I just add onion soup mix and a little red wine to venison beef mixture. JavaScript is disabled. Process the meat combination with the meat grinder, or combine it with your hands, without mashing the meat excessively. Next add the beef stock, bay leaf and cherry tomatoes, reduce the pan to a simmer and leave the ragu to cook gently for 1 hour. EXPLORE OTHER MEDIA 360 PROPERTIES FOR OUTDOORS ENTHUSIASTS, How to Make Venison Jerky From Ground Meat in Your Oven, Bacteria and CWD Cure: Dr. Bastian Speaks, Venison and Cholesterol: What You Need to Know. Drying Temperature    Minimum Drying Time She now writes hobby-based articles on cooking, gardening, sewing and running. It's super easy and way more delicious than Hamburger Helper. Aim for a fat content of around 10 percent to create a juicy burger, or higher if you want to make sausage. For sausage, pork fat @ 30%. Salt and pepper. Beef and pork complement the flavor of ground venison, and contain enough fat to hold the meat together in a patty and prevent it from drying during the cooking process. That would be about 1/2 lb. the last couple years I go to the local butcher and get his shredded bacon , it's a lot easier to work with than store bought sliced bacon . What was the starting temperature of the oven? I buy a big packer(fatty) brisket and grind it in with my deer and elk burger. The racks went into the preheated oven for 2.5 hours. After 5 hours, we took the jerky out once more for blotting then turned up the oven to 275 — allowed it to obtain that temperature — then returned the jerky to the oven for 10 minutes. venison beef mixture. You must log in or register to reply here. finishing in the oven at 200 degrees for one hour. Instead of adding fat to your ground venison, use a binder and pan fry for a perfect burger. It’s big — holds almost 2 pounds worth of ground meat — and built to last. Honestly 6-8% is just as good as 10% in my opinion. Wild Chef David Draper has been processing his own (and others) deer and elk for about a dozen years and has viewed adding some type of fat to ground venison as a necessary evil––until now. The mixed jerky meat was enough to fill up two large wire racks. I like to mix 70 percent deer to 30 percent smoked bacon end pieces. pork sausage to 2 lbs. I mix beef suet with mine 20 beef /80 venison then it depends what I'm going to make if I add pork too and if I do add pork it's pork sausage for meat loaf or meat balls. It also shoots out two strips of jerky at a time. and Weigh the ground venison with a food scale. from the back of the Lipton onion soup and dip mix box . The problem is it varies depending on the oven’s temperature, the grind of the meat (course vs. fine) and the tools and seasonings (and cure) used to make the jerky. Grind with the venison. My son's restaurant buys a lot of beef, and trims the rounds. I freeze it until I work up a deer. Prepackaged venison or grilling spices are available at most grocery stores. Next, I combined the prepackaged seasoning mix and cure, and mixed it thoroughly into the meat with my hands (wearing food-grade gloves). For burgers, 75 % ground venison 25% cheap (fatty) ground beef. Terms of Use 145°F                          7 hours And the venison jerky you get is some of the safest and healthiest snack foods you can find. Also, be sure to follow the recommendations on \finishing\ the jerky at 275 for 10 minutes. With ovens, the common recommendation is to leave the door slightly propped open. Just did some ABT's with hot venison sausage mixed with the cream cheese. I add at about 10-20% ratio, higher % for deer. Raw eggs are a top choice, but I don’t use them for burgers because I like them on the rarer side. Bake for 20 minutes or until the mixture is hot and bubbling, and the cheese is melted. https://delishably.com/meat-dishes/10-great-ground-venison-recipes They were great We don't add fat to ground venison and when we need binders (rarely) use bisquick, and or eggs. I add teriyaki to the mix and smoke with alderwood for 3 hrs. You can choose a flavored oil, like coconut oil or clarified butter, to … Use the food scale to add the correct amount. You don’t want to cook it; you want to dry it out. Again, do not rely on the dehydrator’s temperature settings when making jerky. From there, I packed the meat into the jerky gun and tamped it down with a plastic plunger that comes with the kit. We can get ~ 5 lb frozen bags of ground fat at a local groceteria. She was right. We started by testing the temperature of our gas oven. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse It works out greatfor us. My dad disagrees with me. My son's restaurant buys a lot of beef, and trims the rounds.