Yes, that is a very bold and dramatic title, I know. Thanks so much. Cheese enchiladas for my hindu friends who love to try new food. Thank you to all of you !!! I will literally NEVER buy canned sauce again! I made a recipe and a half and there was plenty for a whole pan of 8 enchiladas plus extra and we like our enchiladas saucy! Thanks! The only complaint from my family was that there was not enough of it! thanks Barb! But just be warned:  you will probably never see a can of red enchilada sauce in your shopping cart again. Tonight I’m making a layered Enchilada Casserole and I’m so excited to have a fresh sauce NOT CANNED! Gradually and slowly add the broth, whisking to prevent any lumps. What would you do differently to make it authentic cab? Hello home-made! Thanks Simona. I ran a family restaurant for many years and Mexican food was a major part of my menu. My husband and son love it!!!!! Goodbye store-bought! I prefer New Mexico Chili and it comes in mild, med, hot, and very hot. Add the flour and whisk for approx. Here's a simple recipe for quick homemade 5 Minute Enchilada Sauce that requires no cooking, no chopping and can be made in five minutes flat using a blender! I make this version all of the time because it reminds me of my Tex-Mex mom’s enchilada sauce. This sauce is great for enchiladas. Authentic Tex mex! I was wondering about Weight Watchers information. My favorite recipe is this one from Happily Unprocessed, which I have adapted to be vegan. But whatever you use, be SURE to check the salt as you are making it. The folks who didn’t like the recipe are probably accustomed to interior Mexico sauces. I’m just getting started cooking and am looking for recipes to replace “stock ingredients” that we use so often. Thanks again! I was leary of the vinegar, but tested before adding and the sauce was a tad bland. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. This enchilada sauce is WORLDS better than ANYTHING canned, I promise you! Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until enchilada sauce thickens. Hello! And some people may not be able to get the dry chilies so powder is acceptable. The best is authentic. Just a minute is good or it can get bitter. This has made it to my favorite recipe list. Aside from adding 1 drop each of Basil & oregano essential oils, I pretty much follow the […], […] Enchiladas– I make homemade enchilada sauce which is actually very easy. Im also from las Cruces new Mexico, 15 minutes from Hatch, chile capital of the world. I hope it all works out. – don’t over cook the chili after adding to rue. Made it today with homemade broth and a little fresh lime juice. Were those accidentally left out or am I totally mistaken about enchilada sauce? This is a very good and simple enchilada sauce. ★☆, Welcome to our newly updated website! Your email address will not be published. 1 minute. Ill let you know how it turns out! Thanks for your creativity in this lovely dish! Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge. Thank you Jake D !! This sauce is delicious! Read More…, © HappilyUnprocessed. , I’m confused that this enchilada sauce has no tomatoes or tomato sauce of any kind. Simply THE BEST Red Enchilada Sauce EVER! Powdered dry spices like chili powder and cumin can lose their good flavors and kind of absorb the other flavors they may be close to in the spice cupboard. Seriously excellent. Calories, fat grams, carbs, sugar, protein,. My mom would usually make it this way. Gradually and slowly add the broth, whisking to prevent any lumps. Thanks for sharing! Never did we imagine what we started in 2012 would explode into what it has become today! Using this sauce. Have to say it was my first attempt at making homemade enchilada sauce. 5 Homemade Enchilada Sauce Recipes - Home Cooking Memories, Cinco de Mayo Roundup - 17 Awesome Recipes, Cinco de Mayo Roundup – 17 Awesome Recipes & Link Up, Cinco de Mayo Recipe Round-Up | Home Cooking Memories. A simple recipe for Quick Homemade 5 Minute Enchilada Sauce, using basic pantry ingredients and a blender. I think I would water it down a bit though. Super easy to make. This is awesome enchilada sauce. This sauce was amazing! So if folks made this and thought it bland or that it tasted “off” may want to try again with fresh supplies. Someone else commented that it ruined taco night? I have made it twice now. Wow, husband and kid said best enchiladas ever! thanks for taking the time to leave a comment Amanda! Judging from comments I feel like it should be good. I use it in enchiladas, as well as “enchilada stuffed shells.” I always have the ingredients, and making my own frees up some pantry space! California chili is also good. Tasted like the stuff you get at Mexican restaurants. I’m sorry it didn’t turn out for you Justine. I try to go as unprocessed as possible so this is a real treat for me and my family! You can certainly try beef broth Jessica. What makes it red? Will it hurt anything to use beef broth? Added the vinegar, stirred and retested after a couple minutes and ohh sweet baby Jesus in a Manger that’s good. Made this sauce tonight and I added some cinnamon so my kids would eat it n and used beef broth, it was delicious! I followed this recIpe exactly as written and it didn’t taste good at all! so excited too Jena .. pls let me know how it turns out. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until enchilada sauce thickens. ★☆ Log in. This is NOT authentic. It turned out great. Never buying another can of sauce…so easy and so good. 2. I make a huge batch and freeze in quart size bags. Add only a little broth at a time until desired thickness. Happy Cinco. YOU ROCK and it’s so EASY! Thank you I also did the same, and it did not taste like an enchilada sauce I have ever had. I am wondering if you could can this and have it ready at a moment’s notice? When hot, add chiles, onions, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft (about 5 minutes). Thanks for the great recipe! I have tried a similar recipe so nothing wrong with it! I made the sauce. A few notes why that make or break the final results: Happy girl here because I hate buying sauces I would always rather make it myself. Not to be rude but this is not how you make enchilada sauce. Rate this recipe Wish I had this recipe back then! I added a dash of cayenne for a little extra heat and a little lime juice too. I will try this recipe in my posole tonight. This was absolutely wonderful! Taco night was definitely ruined at our house…I’m not sure what could have gone wrong but the flavor was very off. Quick question however , I just left the store and forgot the EVOO, on account of me being lazy how bad will it taste if I use regular oil vegetable oil? We make it on holidays and put it over our turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing, and anything else we have. In addition to enchiladas you can use this sauce in Mexican lasagna, burritos, casseroles and Enchilada Soup. Let me know how it worked! My kids probably wouldn’t touch it if I put ancho chiles in it. ★☆ I always make a recipe ‘as is’ the 1st go around and change it up to suit my taste the next time. You can always dial it down a bit. VEGETARIAN/VEGAN: To make this vegetarian use a vegetable broth, Filed Under: CONDIMENTS, SAUCES AND DRESSINGS, I love this sauce. I’m missing something. But you have to understand that there were only 2 ways that Enchilada sauce would have passed my lips ~ the first would be in a restaurant or from a can. Going to use the sauce with I don’t follow WW. A bit spicy for my taste, but my husband loves a little spice! I’m glad you and your family enjoyed the sauce! But you are right, older spices will not produce the same flavors as freshly bought ones. I’m going to make a large batch and can it. THANK YOU for this recipe!!! I’ve been looking for a recipe similar to the one my Mexican friend makes., with NO TOMATO! thank you for the compliment Kristina! That’s quite a compliment (blush). The one change I made to this recipe was to use Knorr Tomato/Chicken bouillon instead of plain chicken broth. This will b our new go to sauce! All images & content are copyright protected. I’ve been making it for over a year now and I love it. I just made the mixture, and put it in the oven, I am super excited to try it! Added a little tomato juice for kicks and it turned out great. Homemade Enchilada Sauce takes less than ten minutes to make and tastes so much better than the canned stuff. Can the enchilada sauce be made and canned ? WHERE TO USE THIS SAUCE: there are no tomatoes in this recipe Ellen. This sauce is very much like the one I’ve been making for 40 years. We will never use tomato either. I am Mexican and I loved your enchulda sauce. This turned out so yummy. Your email address will not be published. Thank you. Thank you so much for the recipe! Not like canned at all. My mom and grandmother alway did their own sauces but i’ve seem to have lost the recipe book they did for me. How to Make Enchilada Sauce without Oil or Butter. Add tomatoes, sugar, and some salt and pepper. Thanks Katie! Chicken Enchiladas I made this tonight, it was sooo good! I’m nervous. I make a Mexican dish at least once a week and we love Enchiladas! I’ve made this before and it’s really delicious. Hi. Thanks for sharing! Thats American style, using tomato.