While the barley is resting, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil (or your favorite cooking oil) in a saute pan set over medium heat; add the onion, garlic and carrot as well as the salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Harvest Pasta Sauce {Trader Joe's Copycat}. Thank you for posting this healthy and delicious recipe! Do you have to use pearled barely? Bake uncovered for 60-80 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the barley is tender. Garnish with green onions, if desired. It usually does take longer than rice but has a lot of potential in healthy applications and variety. It is delicious. 12-Inch Nonstick Skillet I’m Sonia, a former overweight who used to drink and smoke way too much and really didn't eat all that well... Then one day, I decided to quit all that and turn my life around. This one is very good. If there is too much liquid left just drain it out when the barley reaches the tenderness you desire. I also experiment with faro, spelt, black rice and quinoa. You are the best Mel! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe , You are very welcome, Alex. My kids, the ultimate skeptics, didn’t bat an eye at devouring this tasty side dish. Honestly, I can’t begin to understand why it is that we, as a culture, don’t eat barley more often, why it is that it doesn’t find its way to our plates on a regular basis, like say, rice and potatoes. I just tried this today, and it worked great! 5 minutes I found barley to make a nice variation in pilafs. Saute the mixture, stirring frequently, until the onions are tender and the barley is golden. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and add the barley, nuts (if using), garlic and onions. I make this recipe several times a year. Paired this with shrimp, scallops and peas with a spritz of lemon. What a great change in pace. My chicken broth had been in the fridge – do you think that could have had something to do with it? Required fields are marked *. We had it with salmon that had a very strong-flavored cream sauce and it was the perfect mild accompaniment. Add the beef broth, canned mushrooms with liquid and nutmeg. I’ve never tried barley but i feed it to my babies as cereal so i’m making this now to give it a shot!! Growing up, it was one of my favorite side dishes! Avoid taking the lid off during cooking. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Saute the mixture, stirring frequently, until the onions are tender and the barley is golden. Thank you. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. 53 / 62. Amazing! Measuring Cups There’s no need to even thaw those peas, the heat of the dish alone will take care of cooking them for you…. Threw it all in my rice cooker except added peas after. Absolutly delicious and easy to make. Saute the mixture, stirring frequently, until the onions are tender and the barley is golden. Put all ingredients in a large baking dish. slivered? Ingredients Three Years Ago: Chocolate Chip Cake. I credit it for helping my teen son enjoy barley. I live in Idaho with my husband, 5 kids, and selection of weird farm animals. Your email address will not be published. 1 medium onion, chopped No way!!!! Good to hear, Rich! I thought it was ok. Thank you! can’t wait to try this! We’d normally do brown rice, but I had barley that needed cooking and I’m tired of brown rice. Had a very happy family tonight! 2 of my kids didn’t like it, and my third who loves all things food, said it was good but bland. 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth All Yums. I love, love, love barley. Garnish with green onions, if desired. And that’s it! 1/4 - 1/2 cup pine nuts or almonds, optional The whole family enjoyed! Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. This was absolutely delicious! If you’ve never really tried barley before, here’s your chance! Add broth, water, barley and squash; bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the barley and squash are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 45 minutes. My daughter and I really enjoyed this recipe. When tender, add I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens! For lunch today I plan on adding a ton of roasted veggies to it and putting it in a wrap – LOVE this!! If you don’t have pans that are equipped with see-through lids, be sure to only lift that cover towards the very end, when you have very good reason to believe that the barley is done and that liquid is all gone. Thank you! I can’t believe I waited so long to try barley. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Once all the liquid is gone, allow the barley to rest, covered, for about 10 minutes. Growing up, it was one of my favorite side dishes! Your email address will not be published. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and add the barley, nuts (if using), garlic and onions. Per instructions it’s 35 minutes on high and 10 minutes for release. That’s where a see-through lid comes in super handy! A perfect side dish for a winter night! Thanks for a great recipe! Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. In my kitchen I have to serve a lot of different individuals. YUM! Subscribe to receive new posts via email. Cook Time: posted by Sonia! thanks! © Mel If you want to know more or withdraw your consent to all or some of the cookies, please refer to the cookie policy. I did make it with the Broiled Parmesan chicken as suggested and did a side of broccoli. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Made this last night and its delicious! Will definitely make this again! I made this today with almonds and it is so yummy! Desserts. 1/2 teaspoon pepper Can this be frozen and used later or made ahead? Required fields are marked *. Next, add the cooked barley, frozen peas, parsley and turmeric; stir delicately until well combined. 1 hour 20 minutes 2 tablespoons butter My oh my is this stuff yummy! It probably took closer to 2 hours to cook though! I have made this several times now and my whole family enjoys it. Add the cooked barley, frozen peas, parsley and turmeric; stir delicately until well combined. I, too, love barley Just gotta get some pine nuts & I’ll be set! DIRECTIONS. Oh I loved this. 3 ratings 4.4 out of 5 star rating. Go ahead and flip through the pages of what I like to call my culinary diary.