You could boil it down to math or just wing it. The book is well written and highly engaging with a clear sense of purpose and narrative which pulls you in while helping you learn. Stars: Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. Cary Elwes, Simply put, the Chinese military was much less than the sum of its brand new shiny parts. 252,224 | 8,698 Director: 2 hours ago. Always playing catchup and with a hide-bound imperial structure that acted like a lead weight on technical evolution and revolution, the Chinese fell farther and farther behind until the imperial structure was dissolved in 1911 once and for all. Hi everyone, It seems pretty safe to say that 2-4 bombard/cannons and a supply cart/wagon and about 10-30 archers/riflemen is how to destroy the most Madeleine Stowe, 126 min | Gross: | | Stars: Based on my schooling I was pretty sure of the following facts about gunpowder: Gamers, history buffs and possibly fantasy writers, Why is it that academic military histories are much more readable than their non-military counterparts? Tonio Andrade tackles previous historical narratives of divergence and comparative weakness centered on the Qing empire, positing a general parity if not superiority of East Asian gunpowder weapons and tactics over European equivalents until a 'great military divergence' beginning in the mid-18th century. Robert Harmon During the Napoleonic wars, a British Navy Captain has adventures in Central American waters. Roland Emmerich 与彭慕兰的《经济大分流》类似,本书要探讨的问题是中国的军事从什么时间开始大幅落后于欧洲,以至于在鸦片战争惨败之后一蹶不振,影响了中国近代百年的进程。, 書中主要比較東西方在火藥上的發展差異,並試圖以軍事上壓力—回應的觀點解釋為何東西方在十八世紀末會有如此大的差異。. | Изображения по теме «Армии и войны XVIII века» содержатся также и в других темах, в следующих постах: Спойлер (раскрыть) Оспрей Элит № 067. All in all a great read that helps also set the context for how China may view its current state of Military tech and important lessons for Innovation management going forward as a whole. There are no discussion topics on this book yet. But it means if I run all calvary with one wall basher then I rally on cannons not mortars. Meanwhile, Jane is wearying of the army life and Harper and Ramona are at odds. He's basically attempting an answer to the question -- if China invents gunpowder, as well as a host of other militarily useful technologies, and appears to be as advanced if not much more advanced than Europe during the Song period (13th century) and the few centuries after -- how do we explain their performance in the Opium Wars and the rest of the 19th century? I haven't played as the Romans (I have been playing as French, British, and Germans), but, seeing this unanswered for over two days, I thought I'll take a stab at it. Director: Stars: Hugh Fraser, Rally+sabotage will still be your best friend in the harder bases, demolition is a decent tactic in that age still for taking out weak mortar/catapults. Find all the books, read about the author, and more. There was a problem loading your book clubs. Stars: And, in the wreckage of its failure, it confirms and reinforces the accurate perception that China has, for a thousand years, been lacking in scientific and cultural innovation. Stars: Orson Welles, All heavy infantry can still be viable, but once you get the ballista to become a cannon and the supply cart to gunpowder level(also lowering both unit capacities for both those troops as well), you'll have a better way to cope with the redoubts, strongholds, and mortars on defense. | As much a treatise on geo-politics as it is on scientific and military developments. | Al Pacino, Director: Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published Historians have long argued that gunpowder weapons helped Europeans establish global hegemony. And, in the wreckage of its failure, it confirms and reinforces the accurate perception that China has, for a thousand years, been lacking in scientific and. The argument for this book isn't exactly new, but it is more about refining and/or correcting some previously well-known concepts. | There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Douglas Hickox However the book makes it readily clear that once the 1500 mark has been passed, China was for all intents and purposes playing catch up in the art of war. Tanit Jitnukul Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. Director: Reviewed in the United Kingdom on June 12, 2016. | The argument for this book isn't exactly new, but it is more about refining and/or correcting some previously well-known concepts. A dramatization of George Washington's perilous gamble of crossing the Delaware River and attacking the Hessian forces at Trenton. 271 min This book is definitely not for a broad audience so buyer beware. We’d love your help. Burt Lancaster, Major developments: Gunpowder is utilized in Chinese warfare and an assortment of gunpowder weapons appear. Andrade demonstrates quite convincingly that China's successive empires had the central financing, logistics, trade routes, drill, artillery-resistant walls and bureaucracy to absorb and use gunpowder effectively, and that there was a crucial period of parity with the west (which was drastically overhauling its systems to do so). In Gunpowder Age, the author pulls back, adopting a broader approach to Chinese military developments beginning with the introduction of gunpowder. In the Peninsular War, a British sergeant is field promoted to a lieutenant in charge of a disrespectful rifle company. In Badajoz, the next siege target. Hugh Fraser. Very fun strat, super satisfying. | By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. I need an army composition, More posts from the Dominations community. Daragh O'Malley, Richard Jordan, Votes: San Francisco is a gold rush town. Myung-gon Kim, Votes: Peaceful farmer Benjamin Martin is driven to lead the Colonial Militia during the American Revolution when a sadistic British officer murders his son. Director: Tom Berenger, Abigail Cruttenden, Edward Zwick