What do you READ? But have you also found time to read any good Christian books. “But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. the Royal Australian and NZ college of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists. Did You Know. So let’s turn to it now, and see what you think. “He who comes from [heaven] above is above all others; he who is of the earth is from the earth and speaks [about things] of the earth [his viewpoint and experience are earthly]. And when word of it gets out, the option for the Christians is to shut up shop. like-minded, having the same LOVE, being one in SPIRIT and PURPOSE. It’s the sort of pursuit of excellence Paul was consumed with. And begin to make it one Jesus is PROUD of. To pursue excellence. Paul’s writing from prison. 1 Thess 3:12, 12 May the Lord make your love increase and overflow FOR EACH OTHER and for EVERYONE ELSE, May this group of Christians be one who are CHARACTERISED by love. What’s the MOST EXCELLENT career for you/ The one where God can use you for his glory the MOST? The rich reward and eternal glory of heaven. He loves those who are cast aside and rejected by others. You can see this is the sort of love Paul’s thinking about because of what he goes on to pray. Towards EVERYONE. That can discern what someone NEEDS, rather than just WANTS, and does that INSTEAD. Praise ye Jehovah, for excellence He hath done, Known is this in all the earth. ( Log Out /  That’s what’s BEST. Then church becomes a time-travelling outpost of heaven. But I think it’s a big prayer that can measure up. How do you use your MONEY? Guess what? Make it your prayer that OTHERS may be able to declare it. And the devil said to Him, “I will give You all this realm and its glory [its power, its renown]; because it has been handed over to me, and I give it to whomever I wish. ( Log Out /  Books that will help you understand the Bible better, or improve your spiritual discipline, or broaden your views of God and his purposes? I think he’s saying something much more attractive and compelling. An anticipation, a glimpse into the future where we see, and experience, even if in a clouded and dull way, the sort of love and character and flavour of perfect righteousness. The things that MATTER. The team had chosen signs and expressions for the translated passages but relied heavily upon Christian jargon that was only well known to church members. And so, if we even thought about it, our motto, rather than “to pursue excellence” might be more along the lines of ; But that’s just NOT GOOD ENOUGH. It takes knowledge and insight to know the MOST excellent things. A list of stories in the Bible. Their passion for all Deaf Japanese to experience the hope of salvation and the joy of the Lord gave them the desire to persevere toward excellence, so that all may come to know Him! Exodus 15:7 Exo 15:7. And notice it’s all to be done with one eye on the day of Christ. Perhaps you’re finishing school – deciding on a career. All Rights Reserved. Here is a story that I wanted to share as it had a grain of truth.. ( Courtesy: Forwards) ***** A gentleman was once visiting a temple under construction. 5 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your PROGRESS AND JOY IN THE FAITH, 26 so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me. It’s love that knows when it’s right to rebuke, and when it’s best to keep quiet. They were eager to hear the feedback on the video drafted passages. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I PRESS ON toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Perhaps, if we’re honest with ourselves, life is just so busy, that the things of Christ – the excellent things – just seem to slip down our priority list. “To PURSUE EXCELLENCE”. “To wander half-heartedly after mediocrity. Google tells me that’s the motto, or mission, or duty of organisations as diverse as the Royal Australian and NZ college of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, Canterbury Christ Church University Xiamen University in China West Point Military Academy The Hastings Police Department, Nebraska To pursue excellence. Will you give up some WORK time to do some MINISTRY? Now, that’s a big build-up. So that you may be able to discern what is best, Pure and blameless until the day of Christ, Filled with fruit of righteousness. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Or “to meander in the general direction of whatever’s most urgent and noisy”. your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, 10 so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ-to the glory and praise of God. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Things that will last into ETERNITY? As long as there’s nothing to watch on TV that night”. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility CONSIDER OTHERS BETTER THAN YOURSELVES. The exams that hang over your head, like an omen making you work hard right to the end. Those who are SHOWING the loving discernment, and those who are RECEIVING the love. I guess it depends on what your definition of EXCELLENCE is. It consumed Paul’s life. It takes knowledge and insight to know the MOST excellent things. What does diligence mean? What part should PURSUING EXCELLENCE have in the CHRISTIAN life? Stories worth exploring You are about to discover resources which will help you deliver Christianity as an integral part of the Scottish Curriculum for Excellence. Paul pleads, v2, that they be. So, I bring them a few bags of groceries. For universities, it’s excellence in EDUCATION AND RESEARCH. It’s love that knows when the right time to make the phone call is. For her worth [is] far more than precious jewels. Or TOWARDS the day of Christ. He needs knowledge and insight to know the most excellent thing. It’s only a short prayer – 3 verses, and he’s really only praying for one thing. He was getting back with his wife and kids, who were staying at her parents. and exchanged the glory and majesty and excellence of the immortal God for an image [worthless idols] in the shape of mortal man and birds and four-footed animals and reptiles. The sweet first-fruits of a harvest to come. In his letter to the Philippians, we can see how PAUL pursued excellence. He who comes from heaven is above all. The one where you can show love for God and others, and use your unique gifts? It’s possible. It’s a prayer that their love will abound so that they can discern what’s BEST, and be pure and blameless. Suddenly he saw, just a few meters away, another identical idol was lying.… For the college of obstetricians and gynaecologists, they say their goal is excellence IN THE DELIVERY OF HEALTH CARE TO WOMEN THROUGHOUT THEIR LIVES. They’re not there YET, but they’re ON THE WAY. And so, that’s what he’ll spend his life PURSUING. That can risk being a peacemaker between two fighting friends. Now, my daughter, do not fear. About eternity. SPECIFIC love. Lebanon's glory Lebanon will be given to it, the excellence of Carmel and Sharon. The translation team prepared two biblical narrative passages in Japanese Sign Language for the local Deaf community to review. International Standard Version Copyright © 1996-2008 by the ISV Foundation. Fairly obviously, the EXCELLENT things are the things of GOD, the things of ETERNITY. It carries the idea of a single-minded… But Paul LITERALLY says “Filled with the fruit of righteousness INTO the day of Christ. It’s FOCUSSED love. But I just want you to dwell on his words. But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, that you may proclaim the excellence of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light: His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through the full knowledge of the one who called us by his own glory and excellence. Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge. Where we pursue the excellent things – the things of significance. When I came to you, brothers, I didn't come with excellence of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. In the last six months, you’ve probably read newspapers and magazines. Sign Language Translation Methods. "Many daughters have done excellence, but {you surpass} all of them.". Since sign language Bible translation captures a person signing the Scriptures on camera, even more checkpoints are necessary, such as local Deaf people reviewing the drafted video passages for clarity and naturalness. But I think Paul’s saying something MORE than just that they’ll keep doing these things UNTIL Christ returns. Whether it’s right to bring around a meal, or offer help. Verse Concepts. ( Log Out /  He got quite angry and called me a liar when I told him I’d changed my mind. Email. 'Excellence' in the Bible. And depth of insight is to do with making wise, moral choices in the light of that knowledge. The excellence of glorifying Christ. The first part of Paul’s prayer is fairly straightforward. And as we look forward into 2007, how are you going to fill it up? That can make difficult choices. It’s a prayer that will remove our lukewarm, black and white, faded, second-rate, half-hearted, poor imitation of a Christian life. Like Ch 1 v20. ( Log Out /  Persevere Toward Excellence October 22, 2020 October 22, 2020 On an island country of East Asia, God led a Japanese Bible translation team to look beyond their work and into the faces of their brothers and sisters who had yet to know the Savior. As the translation team intently listened to the community, they realized some of the verses could be improved for those who had never experienced God’s Word before. Look at the next phrase in v9. As YOU pursue what’s excellent, and show love to others, then YOU are showing the fruit that comes from being a disciple of Jesus – evidence of the right standing you have as God’s friend. It’s one that will transform our attitudes and actions, our thoughts and our words. His prayer is for love that abounds in knowledge and insight SO THAT YOU MAY BE ABLE TO DISCERN WHAT IS BEST. Look at his conclusion. What things can you TAKE UP? Into the sacrificial service of God and for others. A diligent person tries hard to do everything possible and pays a lot of attention to details. I do not know! Better than Paul’s comfort or release from suffering. That’s what the NIV says. It’s love that can go out on a limb, and risk causing offence. But desire earnestly the greater gifts, and yet shew I unto you a way of more surpassing excellence. For Permission to Quote Information visit http://www.lockman.org, 24 occurrences in 10 translations, Old Testament (8), Exodus (1), Ruth (1), Esther (1), Proverbs (2), Isaiah (3), New Testament (16), Matthew (3), Luke (2), John (1), Romans (2), 1 Corinthians (4), Philippians (1), 1 Peter (1), 2 Peter (2).