The song was opening title track to one of the most albums ever recorded – Born In The U.S.A. Born in the USA reached the top 10 singles charts in several countries, including the United States, Britain, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland. Content created by Alpha History may not be copied, republished or redistributed without our express permission. There, he wrote, filmed and recorded this: At Woodstock, US army veteran Jimi Hendrix played the national anthem. ( Log Out /  Likewise the folk singer, Pete Seeger, wrote this in 1966. Vinyl vs. Digital: Which Has The Best Sounding Recording? The first kick I took was when I hit the ground In the day, Pete Seeger wrote Bring ‘Em Home (see above). And, from 1969, Creedence Clearwater Revival’s classic: In 1969, one of the biggest stars of them all, John Lennon, married Yoko Ono. The Vietnam War traumatised a nation: but it gave us some great music. Vietnam War memory quiz – events 1946-1964, Vietnam War memory quiz – events 1965-1975, Vietnam War memory quiz – terms and concepts (I), Vietnam War memory quiz – terms and concepts (II). It sold over 18 million copies worldwide. Here, it’s 1970 (and for those who know about such things, on the Johnny Cash TV show: In a similar vein, this was perhaps THE anti-war song of the second half of the ‘sixties. Out by the gas fires of the refinery U.S. Consulate General in HCMC American Citizen Services 4 Le Duan Blvd., Dist. Born in the USA, I’m a long gone daddy in the USA. Born down in a dead man’s town Joe MacDonald was a navy veteran. However, many people misinterpreted it as a … With his works, he expressed guilt, knowing that someone else has taken his place, and may have died in the war. In 1984, Bruce Springsteen, who would have served in Vietnam had he not failed the medical, wrote a much-misinterpreted song. For more information please refer to our Terms of Use. Here, the young Iggy Pop: After the war, musicians started to look back. Revisiting 10 Nitty Gritty Dirt Band Songs From The 70s’, 5 Big Mistakes Van Halen Has Made In Their Career, Iggy Pop Reveals His Favorite David Bowie Songs That…, 7 Reasons To Love The 80’s Rock n’ Roll Era, Most listeners have misinterpreted the songs as a patriotic song showcasing an American pride due to its title. So they put a rifle in my hand I was born in the USA, born in the USA, Got in a little hometown jam Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. The Vietnam War was the first war that the US didn’t win, and the veterans who fought the war didn’t receive any hero’s welcome. The title was changed to “Born In The USA” when director Paul Schrader sent Springsteen a script a movie called. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Some of the earliest Vietnam songs drew directly from that tradition, such as this, released in 1965. Born in the USA reached the top 10 singles charts in several countries, including the United States, Britain, Australia, New Zealand and Ireland. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. The song was opening title track to one of the most albums ever recorded –. Sent me off to a foreign land The title was changed to “Born In The USA” when director Paul Schrader sent Springsteen a script a movie called Born In The U.S.A. which gave him the idea for the new title of the song. “Born In The U.S.A.,” tells a tragic event not just for the soldiers who didn’t receive a warm welcome when they returned from the Vietnam War, but it’s also about the soldiers who fought the war and may not have returned. Here’s the iconic version: The real meaning of the song becomes evident in this version: Veterans are again the subject of the great country singer George Jones: REM’s lead singer, Michael Stipe is the son of a veteran.