I make butternut squash and spinach lasagne for work a lot (in dishes for 12) and often have enough to pop in the freezer for us. Spoon half the remaining tomato sauce on top, followed by half the remaining white sauce. Layers of sweet roasted butternut squash, a creamy (and vegan) pesto béchamel, and roasted cherry tomatoes pack this with flavour between the sheets, and a breadcrumb and pine nut topping give it a lovely crunchy top without the need for cheese. Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan. Add the spinach and toss together until just wilted. When you are ready to assemble the lasagnes, take the trays of roasted squash, and mash them roughly with a potato masher or fork. Here’s a recipe for just that sort of lasagne – this Roasted Squash & Creamy Pesto Vegan Lasagne freezes really well, and is a fun cooking project for a rainy Saturday afternoon, making you 8 individual dinners for cold winter nights to come. Take 8 small foil trays, then layer them with butternut squash, (1 tray of squash divided between the 8 trays), followed by a lasagne sheet (snapped down to size), followed by a layer of creamy sauce, then another lasagne sheet, more butternut squash, 6-8 roasted tomatoes per tray, another lasagne sheet, a final layer of creamy sauce, then a sprinkle of breadcrumbs and pine nuts. Remove from the oven and replace cover. Transfer to the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight so the lasagne starts to soften. I’m going to make a batch to pop in the freezer for Christmas when me lasagna loving vegan boy will be home from Berlin! Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then stir in the mustard and half the Gruyère. Cook over a medium heat for 2 minutes, then add the rest of the milk, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer until it becomes a thick, creamy sauce. Slowly whisk in the hot milk until the sauce is smooth and thick. If you are cooking one or two of these straight away, cook for 25 minutes, or if cooking from frozen they will take about 1 hour. https://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/mary-berry-s-butternut-squash-lasagne Your email address will not be published. Spoon one-third of the tomato sauce over the base of the ovenproof dish, then spoon one-third of the white sauce on top. Click on About Me to find out more or Recipes to get cooking! COOKING Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Will Christmas markets go ahead this year? Meanwhile, make the white sauce. Like your twist on a bechamel sauce. These cookies do not store any personal information. 20 mins. I removed the oil and put in water and balsamic vinegar. I’m linking this recipe with two blogger challenges: Filed Under: Vegan Pasta Recipes, Vegan Recipes Tagged With: pasta. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article. Read More…, Never miss a recipe. This delicious vegetarian lasagna recipe showcases seasonal vegetables. Required fields are marked *, Hi, I'm Kate. Meanwhile, halve the cherry tomatoes, place on a third baking tray or roasting tin, drizzle with a little oil and scatter with salt and pepper, and roast for 20 minutes until soft. There are plenty of quick and easy vegan recipes in my new book, ‘Vegan in 15‘*. Halve the squashes, scoop out the seeds, then peel (I use a potato peeler), and chop into chunks. Meanwhile, halve the cherry tomatoes, place on a third baking tray or roasting tin, drizzle with a little … Clever you having it in little foil dishes. Mary Berry's butternut squash lasagne recipe is a quick and easy dish that's ideal for vegetarians. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Arrange another layer of lasagne on top and scatter over the remaining mozzarella. Stir through the flour, then pour in a little of the dairy-free milk and mix well. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. I'm on a mission to prove that vegan food can be every bit as delicious and decadent as its non-vegan equivalent! Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. (If you don't have a hand blender, just skip this step and finly chop the spinach by hand). I took it out of the fridge and it took 1 hr 20 mins from cold, in the oven. Peel and chop the onions. Divide between two large baking trays, drizzle with oil, scatter with salt, pepper and 1 tsp garlic per tray, then toss together until all the pieces are evenly coated, and roast in the oven for 35 minutes until soft. If you like the look of this recipe, you might also enjoy my: Why not pin the recipe for later, or to share with friends → → → → →. Cook gently for 3-4 minutes until starting to soften. Mary Berry’s butternut squash lasagne recipe shows you how to make a rich, white sauce infused with mustard from scratch. Thank you for the recipe! Child development stages: Ages 0-16 years. Oh this looks delicious! Serve with salad and crusty bread. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Perfect with a crisp green salad and some garlic dough balls! Hop over to Amazon for a look. Thank you for the amazing recipe. If I had lots of time I would make it again. A great combination of ingredients, I am sure they taste gorgeous together:), Love love love recipes like this that can be portioned up and placed in the freezer. Thanks for your support! This sounds insanely good, and I love the idea of freezing it in those little take away dishes – so convenient. We have just finished dinner. And if you haven’t yet signed up, you can get a monthly roundup of all my recipes and giveaways delivered to your inbox absolutely free – just click here to subscribe to The Veg Space monthly newsletter. They don't need to be smooth, it just makes them easier to spread. Thanks for the feedback, Kate, Hey there Great idea, Kate . Even Omni husband loved it! Many thanks! Butternut squash brings a sweet richness while spinach gives it a nutrition and flavor boost. Add the squash, pepper, onion, and garlic and fry over a moderate heat for 4–5 minutes or until the onion is starting to soften. Cook Time. But now and again I have a burst of enthusiasm and make a batch of individual vegan lasagne for the freezer, ready to pop in the oven when I haven’t got the time or inclination to cook. Next time I would add spices to give it more flavour. Add more milk if needed (to make the butternut squash … Heat the margarine in a large saucepan and add the onion. I made this yesterday but based on a whole foods plant based diet (no oil no dairy no processed foods). How to make vegetarian butternut squash and spinach lasagna (step-by-step photos): First, prepare the butternut squash filling. Remove the cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Perfect for a crowd-pleasing family meal or portioning up for the freezer. Grate the courgette and add to the saucepan, season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook for a further 3-4 minutes until the courgette has released most of its liquid, and it has bubbled away. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Cover with a lid and simmer over a low heat for 20–30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. I agree that it looks amazing, but it would be more helpful if comments were made after trying the recipe out. Use a hand blender to blitz the sauce until smooth, then add the spinach and blitz again until it is finely chopped through the sauce. Flip the squash … Didn’t use breadcrumbs. To serve, preheat the oven to 200˚C (180˚C fan/400˚F/Gas 6), then bake the lasagne for 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling around the edges. Your email address will not be published. A lasagne with wow factor - the secret ingredient is butternut squash. Cover lasagna and cook for 40 minutes. I would definitely make it again. I make a vegan cheese sauce for macaroni, but never think of making it for lasagne. As a bonus, this recipe makes an extra lasagna that you can freeze for an easy holiday-season meal. I must add pesto to mine next time too. Hi, I'm Kate. Thanks for entering this into Meat Free Mondays, the roundup is now live and the linky will be live for 2 weeks this time. I made one large lasagne and will freeze leftover portions and microwave them from frozen for a quick meal. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, sprinkle with garlic, sage, allspice, and salt. Finally, stir through the pesto, then taste, add more salt if required, taste again and keep adjusting until you are happy. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. Do look out for them if you’re making this again. The Veg Space is a food blog packed with easy vegan comfort food recipes. This dish looks stunning, I love eating food that has amazing colour! The lasagne will take about an hour to oven cook from frozen, or 20-25 minutes from fresh/defrosted, (if you’re organised enough to take one out of the freezer one the night before). Make sure you label and date them clearly, (don’t assume you will remember what is in them – having just had a freezer spring clean I wish I had been a bit more diligent on labelling!!). Since publishing the recipe I’ve now come across frozen butternut squash chunks in most supermarkets – which save all the chopping and peeling. 2 hrs . Love those golden pine nuts on top! These little foil trays are ideal for freezing individual portions. I don’t know why not. Hi Kayleigh, I used a green dairy-free (basil) pesto, but you can use whichever you have to hand! Whilst the vegetables are roasting, make the creamy pesto sauce. Spread the rest of the tomato sauce on top, followed by the rest of the white sauce, then sprinkle with the remaining Gruyère. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. Recipe: Cauliflower Cheese Vegan Pasta Bake, Recipe: Super-Greens Vegan Spaghetti Sauce, Recipe: Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese, Recipe: Creamy Vegan Gnocchi with Wild Mushrooms, Recipe: Wholewheat Tagliatelle with Rocket & Hazelnut Pesto (Vegan), Recipe: Chickpea and Butternut Squash Curry, Recipe: Roasted Pumpkin Soup with garlic and rosemary. Freeze for up to 2 months. I am definitely going to be making a big batch of these . Thinly sliced butternut squash takes the place of pasta in the nontraditional vegan lasagna … Cut and serve with … This vegetarian lasagne serves 6 people and takes about 1hr and 15 mins to prepare and cook. I’ve lamented in previous posts that lasagne can be a bit of a faff to make, and whilst it is one of my top five all-time-favourite meals, I can’t always muster up the energy to make it. Preheat the oven to 200°C / 390°F / gas mark 6. Using food processor, combine butternut squash puree with Ricotta cheese, milk, salt and nutmeg. We all absolutely loved the tastes of this lasagne. https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/butternut-squash-lasagna The only downside to this recipe for me was that it took absolutely ages to peel and chop the butternut squash (I bought 4 medium ones because that’s all they had and they were quite hard to peel). Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly.