Buying a used modem? But wondering if anything needs to be done on their end before I purchase. Anyways, after I swapped to use their gateway at my place, I found that it worked fine and I could access the Internet as usual. Now on my bills, I am getting the $7 monthly equipement rental fee for the new modem. I remember when I had DSL before, I think I had to enter my user/password in the DSL modem's configuration, but that's not how U-Verse works. I used to work for Cox and we ran into issues all the time where someone would sell a modem on ebay or somewhere but not call us to get the MAC removed from their account. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. I am about ready to file an FCC complaint for that. But this should not be the case for Internet-only modems like the 3600HGV or 5031NV that someone has paid for before. I've had U-Verse Internet for 4+ years (never had TV service). Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party. Plug & go from my end. The modem was bought new from amazon about a year ago by my parents. I've bought a used modem in the past, through Amazon actually. They have a record of my returned equipment, but have set up their billing system to prevent a permanent removal of the fee from a customer account. Would it work if the address already did have U-Verse service? You pay the equipment fee so that ATT will continue to recognize and provision the equipment you bought. Perhaps I could have avoided the $7 rental fee that way? We also welcome product reviews, and pretty much anything else related to small networks. Press J to jump to the feed. I can tell you that the RVG589 I purchased through an Amazon.com third party ($60 delivered) was able to immediately work with my U-verse service. I've had U-Verse Internet for 4+ years (never had TV service). Thanks for your response. Because there's a sucker born every minute? .css-dixatk{color:#000000 !important;background-color:!important;}.css-dixatk:hover{color:#141414 !important;background-color:#f0f0f3 !important;}.css-dixatk:focus{color:#141414 !important;background-color:#f0f0f3 !important;}.css-1ay6ky1{line-height:50px !important;}Forums. The previous subscriber takes off with it, never pays their bill, and tries to resell it. I recently started having intermittent connection problems with the modem where it would get disconnected from the Internet. Start by visiting the. I understand that starting this year, AT&T doesn't offer the option of buying a modem from them anymore. But the minute you hear that they have upgraded to DOCSIS 3.1, call them and ask for a new DOCSIS 3.1 modem. Then the … But I might try anyways whenever I have some free time. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. HomeNetworking is a place where anyone can ask for help with their home or small office network. *I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. As I posted in another thread, ATT has a room full of lawyers. Hi, I have a question about buying a used UVerse modem to use for my internet service. My understanding is that the Pace 5031NV is one of the few modems that could be purchased from AT&T before, and that such used modems can be legitimately sold after someone no longer has U-Verse Internet service. Would it work if that address did not have U-Verse service? You can contact the FTC. If you want to give it a try, feel free, I'm just giving you the best information I have. If they are still using DOCSIS 3.0, a new DOCSIS 3.0 modem will be fine for now. All rights reserved. I'm certainly going to be doing this when my contract is up since my bill has gone up 20%+ with the rental fee and other associated taxes/fees that come with it. You can contact the FCC. Went through an ordeal last night trying to get COX to link a used modem. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Here's my situation. No provisioning and no black list. The TOS are air-tight. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Too late for me now, but maybe this thought can help someone else in the future. If i had bought this modem from anyone other than my parents I would be completely screwed. HomeNetworking is a place where anyone can ask for help with their home or small office network. Like Jeffer said, there's a fool born every minute. That person cancelled their U-Verse service earlier this year and I wanted to try their gateway (they owned it instead of rented it) to see if it would resolve my speed issue. Every month I need to call in to have it removed for the month. As long as it has the right firmware and 802.1X certificate, and knows how to speak the correct protocol (VSDL2/ADSL2+), then apparently it works, unless maybe AT&T blacklists non-returned devices? There is no longer any way to avoid the $7 equipment fee. The folks at COX absolutely will not link it until my parents contact them (a two hour ordeal) to remove the modem … The previous owners info came up when I plugged it in and my cable company tried to make me go through the splash page. They finally did take it down. We could activate it, but they still got charged the modem rental fee since it was still our modem. On the up side, you don't have to pay $100 when your RG wears out, either. I ended up borrowing someone else's 5031NV gateway for troubleshooting a speed issue. I bought a used, ISP-compatible modem off of Amazon and used it for years. Many cable ISPs won't activate a "used" modem from another account because they just assume it is stolen property. If the RG you purchased 4 years ago had been under warranty (which it wasn't, because you'd had it more than 12 months), then you'd have a case to try to either get your $100 back or get the $7/month waived. A little hassle, but all was well in the end. I bought a used surfboard modem when I used to live under the tyranny of Comcast and same thing. We also welcome product reviews, and pretty much anything else related to small networks. It seems there's no value in the second-hand market for used U-Verse modems with the new policy in place. Furthermore this policy is clearly bad for the environment, generating unnecessary E-waste by forcing customers to buy new. Here's my situation. I understand why they don't let you register an already registered modem, but annoying AF. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. More posts from the HomeNetworking community. I bought it to replace an AT&T leased gateway. A technician came over and replaced the modem with a Pace 5031NV modem, and the problems went away. So my first question is should this be a surprise that I was able to use the other person's gateway at my place? (I think U-Verse modems that supported Internet and TV could not be purchased before and probably can't be re-used.) I'd like to buy a used modem from eBay and I was wondering if there is a problem buying a used one from eBay if the seller shows pictures of the modem showing the Mac address of it … Be careful, I can’t tell you how many people I came across while doing installs that had purchased a modem from the pawn shop or craigslist that my company still owned. Looking at completed sales, there are lots of people still buying such modems even though we are 8+ months into the new policy. That would be disappointing if there's no way to avoid the rental fee now even with a second-hand modem, but I guess that's just the policy and if one doesn't like it, they can always shop for a different service. I also wonder what would happen if a U-Verse customer brought their gateway to a different address to use. Your ISP just might refuse to link it on their end. No question is too small, but please be sure to read the rules and [posting guidelines](https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking/comments/3hvyg0/rhomenetworking_posting_guidelines_and_helpful/) before asking for help. Under that old policy, if you were not an IPTV customer (or a high-bandwidth HSI only customer that needed one of the rental-only RG's), you purchased your modem and didn't pay a monthly equipment fee. If I buy a used 5031NV modem (off amazon/ebay/craigslist/friend/etc....), would I be able to just plug it in and use it for my Internet service? They actually still had the NVG510 for sale on their spare parts market well into this year, when there was no point in buying it. I now wonder if I should have not had the technician replace my modem and instead just replaced the modem myself with a used one. Thank you. I've read prior posts where someone has stated that such used modems offerred for sale are stolen or weren't returned when they were supposed to be and would be black-listed from AT&T's network. This seems completely ridiculous to me. But ill look into it more. And if that worked, should I be able to return the replacement modem the technician gave me and get the $7 rental fee removed since I would be using my own equipment? Buying a used modem? Archived. I was previously using a 2Wire 3600HGV modem … Getting AT&T to permanently remove their lease fee is another story. Posted by 2 years ago. Hi, I have a question about buying a used UVerse modem to use for my internet service. Until you replaced the RG you purchased, you were grandfathered under the old policy that ended in January 2015. Gateways are a grayer area. Good questions. or if the modem is stolen from the ISP, and is supposed to be returned, you could be buying something that won't work. The folks at COX absolutely will not link it until my parents contact them (a two hour ordeal) to remove the modem from their account. I had the same issue (used modem still registered), bought it refurbished from Amazon, returned it got a different one. I was going to buy a used modem on craigslist since it is half the price of a new one. If they are using the same ISP, and have not canceled their account or contacted the ISP to remove the MAC address for the modem from their account, there is potential for a hassle. Now, any U-verse customer that starts service, or has his RG replaced, has to pay the $7 monthly equipment fee; purchasing an RG is no longer an option. Such as voiding the MAC number with their previous ISP? Can anyone shed more light on this whether I can use a second-hand 5031NV to work for my Internet-only U-Verse service to avoid the $7 monthly equipment rental fee? I'm curious then why does there seem to be healthy market on used U-Verse modems listed on ebay? But wondering if anything … (Somehow, my speed issue also got resolved after all this.). The modem was bought new from amazon about a year ago by my parents. ©2020 AT&T Intellectual Property. It is now referred to as an "equipment fee", not a "lease fee". 13.