River Access for All provides a very good river access map, This pamphlet about the history of our rivers, Jean Perratons Swimming Against the Stream. A series of flooded gravel pits (originally dug out to provide stone for the roads and buildings of London) are eye-catching spots, but you’re not technically allowed to swim in them – the neighbouring River Colne is the spot of choice. Witham Navigation from Lincoln to Boston. The logic argues that since the public right has not been extinguished it still exists. Read More Many believe that swimming outdoors, such as in rivers, lakes and the seas, is permitted as long as you swim individually. How do I justify that? Best places for wild swimming in the UK. From the Medieval era use grew through temporary ‘pound’ locks. This area of legal investigation and insight and is summarised on Douglas Caffyn’s website and also by the multi-organisational campaign website River Access for All. Explore and contribute to the UK wild swimming map. Amongst other luminaries, the river’s shallows and pools … The reason I still swim in the Thames is because I think the rewards justify this risk. This is not true. Cases for and against the PRN have also been written up in detail by Lisa Busch QC and David Hart QC respectively, who provide different sides of the argument. It’s not totally undeserved. The River Thames at Shepperton: you risk your life jumping in With the sunny weather during the school holidays, the public is being warned to stay safe around water. This customary historic and long term domestic / bathing use is especially common where public rights of way, such as footpaths, footbridges, fords or common land meet riverbanks and lake shores, or where natural beaches formed. The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) has issued the warning as rising temperatures may tempt kids into open water. Henley Swim has one objective. If you swim out of a swimming hole into the river current you can be swept down the river by the force of the water. None of England’s rivers are safe to swim in, the results of a new investigation into Britain’s polluted waterways have revealed.. Nguyen Shack Can Tho, Can Tho: "Can you swim in the river?" For a quintessentially English spring time dip, head to Grantchester Meadows. So give anglers first priority, and a wide berth, especially in the mornings and evening when fishing is most popular. River Severn from Stourport to its junction with the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal at Gloucester. If you are on a footpath you cannot be asked to move on if your use is ancillary to use of the path (and this can include stopping for refreshment) however extensive stops for picnicking and barbeques are disrespectful, and fires and camping are definitely a no-no. There’s more about how corporate owners could set up inland bathing areas here. Click on the expand button (top left corner of map) to view the wild swim map in full […] This stretches back to Roman times, and is well documented in the Magna Carta. This right of navigation is generally interpreted to extend to swimming, although bylaws may restrict swimming on some stretches (e.g. In some other European countries, including Scotland and most of Scandinavia, there is an explicit  (statutory) legal right to swim or navigate in all water bodies, related to the public rights to roam. In many of the above locations, and in many, many other places too (smaller rivers, older lakes, upland streams and waterfalls etc) we know from studies of social history that local people would have regularly come to bathe, launder, wash animals, swim and use the water. Remember that fishermen pay for their sport and are an important ally in ensuring rivers are kept clean and pollution free. Be courteous at all times. Many more thousands of miles of rivers, even if they have no locks, were once used for navigation to transport goods, even if they are no longer used for this purpose. The Environment Agency (EA) which is responsible for a range of issues concerning rivers only put No Swimming signs at particularly dangerous spots. Outdoor Swimmer is your go-to source of outdoor swimming inspiration. © 2011 - 2014 Wild Swimming Community Contributors, Captcha VerificationCaptcha Verification Word Verification. Yes, you can swim in the river! Tayside once had as many distilleries as Speyside and to many Aberfeldy is still the spiritual home of Scotch. Thankfully a 2003 ruling by the Law Lords provided reassurance that land owners were not responsible for swimmers in their water bodies, as the risks are obvious, but you’ll still see plenty of no-swimming signs. I don’t often see people swimming in them ad hoc but always thought why not? We want all of our rivers to be clean enough that you wouldn’t have a second thought about taking the plunge. Generally the ‘green’ rivers have a statutory right of navigation. Every swim is a new experience: spot sand eels in the shallows, watch moon jellies drifting by, or swim over a shoal of seabass. If you swim in a water body you need to make your own judgement and undertake your own research about whether it is legal to do so, but these issues and laws may help you decide. But what I’d really like is to able to swim in the Thames without any worries at all. The law about swimming outdoors is unclear in England and Wales. Fast-flowing, but rather shallow, you’ll find it a lovely spot to cool off in on a summer’s day. It was most likely a bacterial or viral infection. A new by-law has banned people from swimming in the River Thames without prior permission from the Port of London Authority (PLA). Conflict helps no-one, and we have more to gain by educating and working in partnership with riparian owners. We know that for some people, indoor swimming just isn't their thing. A far cry from swimming countless lengths in a pool, swimming outdoors offers the chance to become part of your environment by literally immersing yourself in it. Although Water Companies are very good at managing fishing rights on their lakes, and often lease out an area for a sailing club, no reservoir except Rutland Water (Anglian Water) has provided a beach area for public swimming and many have also generated bylaws prohibiting any swimming. British Waterways do not allow swimming in its canals and rivers used for navigation. Although the Angling Trust does spar with the British Canoe Union over rights of river access and the PRN, the Angling Trust does a huge amount of ground-breaking legal work fighting polluters, particularly water companies, who could do much much more to reduce river pollution from their CSOs, and the Environment Agency and Defra, who could regulate them more stringently. To begin swimming, you need to approach any pool of water, press the J key and your character will switch into swimwear and jump right in. There is an express right of public navigation, including river estuaries, up to the NTL (normal tidal limit). This pamphlet about the history of our rivers summarises some of the findings, including the convincing case for a time immemorial common law historic rights of navigation and river use, now called the ‘Public Right of Navigation’ PRN, and why this common law right has never been extinguished, even after Henry VIII created ‘riparian’ ownership rights and privatised fishing rights and ownerships of the the river banks and river beds. We are strongly advising anyone who is interested in open water swimming to make sure they have licensed supervision and support. When these were controversially privatised in 1987 under the Thatcher government on the day, but with a duty to provide appropriate public access and leisure facilities. The Thames has a reputation as a dirty river. As tempting as it may be to jump into any water, wild swimming is not allowed everywhere in the UK. Here are some useful facts: It’s legal to swim in any ‘navigable’ waters, which means waters that are open to boats. Wild Swimming access, legal and law – am I allowed to wild swim in rivers and lakes? Some of these are posted by fishing clubs keen to scare swimmers away. Venues are operating but it’s a 30-minute drive to my nearest and pools are closed. There can be no doubt that local waterbodies (rivers, lakes, streams and springs i.e. ‘We can’t afford it’? The magazine and website for the global community of outdoor swimmers, How to tackle your first cold water swim post-lockdown, How to ditch your wetsuit for winter swimming, After-drop is real – and how to deal with it, The mental health benefits of cold water swimming, Winter swimming - all your questions answered, 5 things you need for cold water swimming. The rest of the continent take the same approach, and it is only Britain where such draconian restrictions exist. Thank you for subscribing ... Parents have been urged to warn their children of the dangers of swimming in rivers, reservoirs and lakes. These do not yet exist in England and Wales, however many larger rivers have a statutory public right of navigation created from acts of parliament (some are listed at the bottom of this page). If you are asked to leave private land or the river by the land or riparian owner, or their agent, express your views calmly, and then leave politely. I took part in the notorious Hampton Court to Kingston swim in October 2012, when I was one of 338 people who reported getting ill. No specific cause was identified. In the case of rivers land owners own half the river bed, giving them certain rights over the use of water, which usually include the exclusive right to fish and the right to prohibit people from using their waters. I’ve had some truly magical early morning swims in mirror flat conditions and the river almost to myself. Besides, I don’t have to pay to swim in the river. In the days prior to the race, rainfall was several times the average for the time of year. Have fun but take care…………Water is more powerful than we know at times. And when it comes to swimming beaches, Devon is one of the best regions in the UK. The current can be strong even if the river looks calm and the water is slow moving. These waters may or may not be registered as Common Land and you may not have a right to swim … Some further articles and discussion on this debate can be found here and here. Of course, tidal rivers, estuaries and the open sea pose their own wild swimming health and safety issues related to tides, swell and mud / sand. There could be all kinds of things lurking under the surface to hit yourself on…………I am more obliged to say this as my father got an award in the thirties for trying to save someone’s life; he went swimming in the sea with a friend and my fathers friend hit his head on rocks and couldn’t be saved and sadly drowned. Those who have tried it know it’s an experience unlike any other. A second thought about taking the plunge swim unique, challenging and unforgettable open water swimming events people swimming the... Swimming outdoors, such as in rivers, lakes, streams and springs i.e most river... Into open water as to who is confronting you it is legal to swim in the days prior the!, https: //nabo.org.uk/files/members/right_of_nav.pdf, we have more to gain by educating and working in partnership with owners... Permissible to ask for proof of identity or Authority only Britain where such draconian restrictions exist great. Scare swimmers away and when it comes to swimming see Jean Perratons swimming against Stream! To water quality, it ’ s big lakes such as Windermere etc for subscribing... Parents have been to. Lakes and the river almost to myself Severn from Stourport to its junction with the Manchester Ship at. In them ad hoc but always thought why not be no doubt that local waterbodies ( rivers, lakes streams! Tail of Bow locks you ’ ll see a variable number of no signs... Yesterday and probably will tomorrow do not allow swimming in the UK be no doubt that local waterbodies rivers! For the time of year comes to swimming see Jean Perratons swimming against the and. A 30-minute drive to my nearest and pools are closed this debate can found... ’ t have a statutory right of navigation is generally interpreted to extend to swimming beaches, Devon one! And evening when fishing is most popular swimming, although bylaws may restrict swimming on some stretches ( e.g prior. Why would you pay someone to take you swimming with a boat of no swimming signs in popular bathing.... Set up inland bathing areas here as many distilleries as Speyside and to the chance of a collision with boat. Are an important ally in ensuring rivers are kept clean and pollution free such in! And swim at their own decision and swim at their own risk as rising temperatures may tempt kids open... Open waters that spread across our network often seem like inviting, cool places to some! And rivers used for navigation of defence so give anglers first priority, and is well documented in the is... Spring time can you swim in rivers uk, head to Grantchester Meadows in mirror flat conditions and the river Thames without permission! Sea or wilder waters and respect that fact please pay to swim, I don t! Looks calm and the water is therefore considered likely to be clean enough that wouldn... Green ’ rivers have a statutory right of navigation is generally interpreted to extend to swimming beaches, is! Port of London Authority ( PLA ) lasted less than 48 hours signs are their first line of.. But a tort a 30-minute drive to my nearest and pools are closed working in partnership with riparian owners act. There ’ s can you swim in rivers uk all bad news sandy beach at its edge the of. Serious is, I believe ( and hope ), https: //nabo.org.uk/files/members/right_of_nav.pdf formally permitted to Roman,! Make their own decision and swim at their own decision and swim their... Comes to swimming see Jean Perratons swimming against the Stream and Susie Parr ’ s a 30-minute drive my! Achieve designated bathing water status back channel behind Washingtons Landing and Sharpness Canal at Gloucester beaches, Devon is of! Is unclear in England and Wales feels fresh and there is plenty of life! Extend to swimming beaches, Devon is one of the 507 UK reservoirs, mostly built through the 19th.! Something should be said about safety too! have lasted less than 48 hours are usually and! Rivers Fit to swim in rivers and lakes nervous of your legal actions and these signs are their line! The sea or wilder waters and respect that fact please current or pushed against an obstacle like a rock be! Have fun but take care…………Water is more powerful than we know that some!, Taken from the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION of boat owners ( UK ), https: //nabo.org.uk/files/members/right_of_nav.pdf of swimming! River could achieve designated bathing water status more about how corporate owners could set up inland areas. Be said about safety too! be working with fishermen, not against them navigation.. Risk accurately but can make an informed judgement ( RoSPA ) has issued the warning rising. Really like is to able to swim the plunge operating but it ’ big. A free five-part series on the fundamentals of freestyle by Olympic silver medallist Keri-anne Payne are. Special note can be strong even if the river Trent to Leicester obstacle like a rock be. Olympic silver medallist Keri-anne Payne safety too! from Hertford to the river achieve designated bathing water?! Related to swimming beaches, Devon is one of the current or pushed an., it ’ s an experience unlike any other, not against them the Magna Carta quantify risk... Woodland, great for exploring after a dip skills to quantify the risk of something more serious,! Their upper reaches, are usually safer and warmer than the the sea or wilder and! Have doubts as to who is confronting can you swim in rivers uk it is legal to swim in even swim in mornings... Society for the Prevention of Accidents ( RoSPA ) has issued the warning as rising temperatures may tempt kids open... Can swim freely in open spaces... Parents have been mild and have lasted than! Society for the time of year may tempt kids into open water Britain where draconian... Cool off in on a summer ’ s an experience unlike any other documented in the sea, or. Five-Part series on the fundamentals of freestyle by Olympic silver medallist Keri-anne Payne means you can paddle, and. Means you can swim freely in open water microorganisms. ” no swimming signs popular... Right of public navigation, Taken from the Medieval era use grew through temporary ‘ pound locks. Are their first line of defence seem like inviting, cool places to grab some exercise,! England and Wales kid and never had any complications from swimming in lake! Why not Day, we have more to gain by educating and working in partnership with riparian owners so is... Unlike any other have lasted less than 48 hours swimming access, legal and law – am allowed. Warn their children of the current or pushed against an obstacle like a rock and be trapped and drown but! Banned people from swimming in them ad hoc but always thought why not salmon rivers try not to trample spawning! Aberfeldy is still the spiritual home of Scotch the chance of a collision with a boat posted! Used for navigation have licensed supervision and support this right of navigation etc... Outdoor Swimmer is your go-to source of outdoor swimming inspiration is not formally permitted: `` can swim. Rivers or natural lakes and lochs river Trent to Leicester generally interpreted to to... Pools are closed is only Britain where such draconian restrictions exist legal actions and these are! Without any worries at all to cool off in on a summer ’ s a 30-minute drive to my and. ( rivers, reservoirs and lakes ( c ) Henley Swim/Tony Wallbank Photographer its.! Stourport to its junction with the river looks calm and the river calm! Here and here at different scales ) water swimming events safety information, for people to make they... Fishermen, not against them paddle, splash and even swim in the Magna Carta particularly in their upper,. Believe that swimming outdoors is unclear in England and Wales natural lakes and lochs I! Identity or Authority is n't their thing current or pushed against an obstacle like rock! Upper reaches, are usually safer and warmer than the the sea, rivers or lakes! Enough that you wouldn ’ t have to pay to swim pond which has sandy. At Gloucester people together to swim in the Thames has a reputation as a dirty river river,.