Set aside. At Room Temperature – Only store bought (or safely canned) enchilada sauce can be kept at room temperature because it’s properly preserved. About the Author Sabrina Snyder. Save. What You Need. When a sprinkle of flour mixture sizzles on contact, add flour and spice mixture. Go for it! Make a double batch and freeze some for later – it freezes beautifully! Lots of dried spices create a deep color and a Mexican flavor profile that is zesty but not too spicy. Get tips, tricks and recipes to host a memorable Thanksgiving! Show me what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me at @DinnerthenDessert or hashtag it at #dinnerthendessert. Perfect for tacos, salads and more! In a saucepan or pot over medium heat, warm oil. The red enchilada sauce spices can burn easily, so keep an eye on them. That naturally thickens the sauce, so it doesn’t typically call for any flour, making it gluten-free. For an extra layer of spice, add extra chili powder and even a dash of hot sauce. https://www.itisakeeper.com/34828/red-enchilada-sauce-recipe If you make this recipe, don’t forget to leave a 5 star review in the comments below! Whisk 1 minute until deep in color. Definitely not! In the end I discovered that not only is making enchilada sauce so ridiculously easy, you really don’t need much more than a jar of tomato sauce and some spices. It’s so fast and easy to throw together… this enchilada sauce recipe comes together in under 10 minutes. Vegetable Broth – substitute water or stock, Simple Sugar Cookies (Rolled Sugar Cookies with Cookie Frosting), Quick Caramel Cream Cheese Bread Recipe | Cheesecake Bread. To thin the sauce, simply add a little more broth or even water if necessary. The pinch of ground cinnamon really makes this enchilada sauce recipe, so don’t omit it! It only needs to simmer and toast briefly to let those flavors bloom. Remove from heat. With young kids in our house, I know that a sauce deemed “too spicy” can ruin any dinner, no matter how delicious. Whisk in tomato sauce. Want a little more spice? Home » Recipes » Dips, Dressings, + Sauces » Enchilada Sauce. Whisk 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Freeze any leftovers in a glass jar, ziploc bag, or as a fully prepped enchilada dish. You can also share on social with #julieblanner or the “I made it” feature on Pinterest! Once you’ve had homemade enchilada sauce, there’s no going back to store bought! https://www.thespruceeats.com/easy-enchiladas-recipe-2342670 Cinnamon is optional, but it adds an incredibly fragrant depth to this sauce. Refrigerate – When properly stored, homemade enchilada sauce will last 5-7 days in the fridge. Customize to your family’s tastes. Sabrina is a professionally trained Private Chef of over … How to Store. Sauce will continue to thicken. Sign up for my free recipe club and have amazing recipes delivered directly to your inbox each week! For a second use of your enchilada sauce, throw it in with pork, chicken or beef for slow cooking to create a Tex-Mex pulled pork, chicken or beef dish. Authentic enchilada sauce calls for different varieties of dried chili pods that are roasted, then reconstituted and pureed. 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (with juices) preferably fire-roasted tomatoes ( or tomato puree) ¼ cup water; 2 Tablespoons olive oil; 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar; 2 teaspoons chili powder; 1 teaspoon granulated garlic ( or 2 garlic cloves) 1 teaspoon cumin; 1/4 … I’m an equal opportunity enchilada lover, and I bet you will be, too, once you’ve made this sauce. You are here: (The onions, tomatoes, and garlic cloves are also dry-roasted on a comal until charred.) Made This Recipe? It’s rich, savory and full of depth – especially for a sauce that comes together so quickly! Make sure the tomato sauce is unflavored, otherwise it’ll throw off the taste of this sauce. Many of the links on this blog are affiliate links. Ingredients. Sabrina Snyder. That’s why I wanted to develop a richy, savory enchilada sauce that would thrill all of us! pinterest link facebook link twitter link instagram link rss link. Salsa is thicker and chunkier, generally includes tomatoes, and is generally meant as more of a dip or topping. Reduce heat to low to simmer. This sauce comes together in just minutes and it’s so easy to customize for your family with the perfect amount of spice. I was so determined to make up for lost time that I immediately set about trying to recreate my favorite restaurant enchilada recipes! Keywords: Best Homemade Enchilada Sauce, easy enchilada sauce. ©2020 Julie Blanner, All Rights Reserved. Beef enchiladas are another incredible way to enjoy this enchilada sauce! So with that let’s learn how to make enchilada sauce in under 10 minutes when all you’ve got is a jar of tomato sauce! In fact, I likely won’t be going back to pre-bought stuff again. This sauce comes together in just minutes and it's so easy to customize for your family with the perfect amount of spice. When I first discovered my love for enchiladas, I was sad to think of all the opportunities for amazing dinners I’d already missed. Your email address will not be published. This homemade enchilada sauce recipe freezes beautifully! You’ve got to try these amazing cheese enchiladas, my chicken enchilada recipe, and beef enchiladas, too! Switch the vegetable broth for beef or chicken for a more robust flavor profile. Don’t miss my yummy Mexican Chicken Spaghetti, our super easy Soft Chicken Tacos, and especially this incredible Homemade Margarita Mix! It’s rich and savory but mellow enough for all palates. One of the best things about making your own enchilada sauce is that not only is it so much more delicious than the canned versions, it’s so easy to customize! Hi, I'm Julie, the voice behind the lifestyle blog filled with inspiration for effortless entertaining, home design and thoughtful gift-giving that celebrates everyday life. Enchilada sauce is rich, smoother, and doesn’t necessarily even have to include tomato sauce. Pour broth over, continuously whisking. JulieBlanner.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Once you've had homemade enchilada sauce, there's no going back to store bought!