I believe a different way is possible, so I did not turn a blind eye to the protestors in Parliament Square. January 19, 2020 admin 2020, Claire Coutinho, Maiden Speech, Speeches. We see that happen in this country, where people are literally dying as a result of the quality of the air. Andrew Griffith, a business adviser to the prime minister and former Sky executive who lent Johnson a £9.5m house during his leadership campaign, won the selection in Arundel and South Downs on Monday night. I want to make clear that I am emphatically not anti-immigration.”, Naz Shah, the shadow women and equalities minister, said: “This is disgusting racism. They are sick of demanding that the Government listen to them and of asking for a fairer share. There is a financial cost, but the human and wildlife cost is significant and the suffering is evident. Members to get their printed copy from Hansard, as it is quite a treat to take back home. People in Oldham want to know that they have a stake in the future. We also need to protect what we have got. It is a pleasure to follow the maiden speech of Claire Coutinho and all the other fantastic maiden speeches. Unfortunately, when people talk about a town such as Oldham, they often talk about the north as though it is some kind of distant land. Instead of protesting outside, come inside and have a conversation to see where we can make progress together.” One of the people I met during those conversations was a man called Paul, who is commonly known as the “tree lawyer” because of his real passion for protecting our ancient trees and woodlands. 15th January 2020. It really never was my intention to cause offence, but to provoke debate. But the solution is to treat the majority where they live, rather than the small number who can make it to Britain to access HIV treatment on the NHS.”, In a passage about Muslim leaders warning the Iraq war could cause social unrest, he wrote: “Whatever the merits or demerits of war on Iraq, it is hardly a national strength to have a large minority with such divided loyalties during war.”. Although those have closed, the skills and values of manufacturing and engineering jobs are still very much in our local economy, and that should be the foundation for the future. Below is the text of the speech made by Claire Coutinho, the Conservative MP for East Surrey, in the House. One of Johnson’s current policy chiefs, Danny Kruger, has won the race to stand in the safe Wiltshire seat of Devizes and James Wild, a senior special adviser to the prime minister, is seeking selection for another safe Tory seat, West Norfolk. This debate, which is both timely and long overdue, is about how our country can address the climate emergency while realising the economic benefits of developing a new settlement for communities that feel frustrated with the current offer. It is through letting in too many germs.”. We are seeing water shortages, we are seeing the effect on natural ecosystems, biodiversity and coral reefs, and we are seeing the impact on crop production. We talked about the challenges and how people are sometimes very disconnected from the environment, and about the interventions, sometimes small ones, that we can make to connect people with the natural environment around them. Steve Barclay fills the shoes of Malcolm Moss in North East Cambridgeshire and began his maiden speech during yesterday's debate on the Finance Bill by clearing. A Conservative party spokesperson said: “These comments were made over 15 years ago, Anthony Browne has apologised for these comments and sincerely regrets them.” Browne did not respond to requests for comment. Claire Coutinho, Conservative MP for East Surrey, offering her backing to the Bill, said the lack of social media pressure helped her as a child. I think back to four years ago, when I was in the same position, as it is a huge responsibility to make a maiden speech. The articles, which I deeply regret writing, also don’t give a fair reflection of my views. The challenge I lay down today is not that we prepare for the next election or Queen’s Speech, but that we think about a child being born today in this country. The movement has been significant, whether in the large-scale protests by Extinction Rebellion or in the localised protests by schoolchildren on Fridays. On Monday night, the Liberal Democrat candidate for Thurrock, Kevin McNamara, issued an apology and stood down after the party launched an investigation into posts made to his social media allegedly involving homophobic and racist slurs. My town was the home of Ferranti, which made the components for the world’s first computer, of British Aerospace, which made the Lancaster bomber, and of Platt Brothers, which had one of the largest engineering plants in the world. Get insights on TheyWorkForYou and other mySociety sites, in our popular newsletter, Your donations keep this site and others like it running. There is a spectrum of views on the climate emergency in this House. Labour criticises ‘shocking’ writings by Anthony Browne, a former aide to Boris Johnson, Mon 11 Nov 2019 15.18 EST It’s shocking that someone with such despicable views has been selected to stand for the Conservative party.“Given his personal relationship with Anthony Browne, Boris Johnson should personally intervene and remove him as a candidate.”. I worry that some hon.