This event has become a huge part of our community, so we now get over 500 people in attendance each year, and we raise between $6000 to $8000. Many food banks are connected to soup kitchens that could use cooks, servers and cleaners. 1. She has spent the last 5 years traveling the world and living abroad and has lived in South Korea and Israel. Whether you call, email or show up in person, there are a couple of places that are generally always looking for high school students to help out: If you're having difficulty deciding where you should go to inquire about a community service opportunity, then you can instead head to a community service organization that can set you up with an opportunity that's a good fit. Slideshare uses cookies to improve functionality and performance, and to provide you with relevant advertising. Working with animals is always a popular high school community service project. According to PrepScholar, community service is “work done by a person or group of people that benefits others.” It’s a way to get involved in your local community to help make a difference. I never thought of using social networking and my own initiative to start something like what you described. Most hospitals offer high school community service opportunities to a select few motivated students as "candy stripers." I like working with plants and animals, and I love outdoor spaces. Some examples of these are: Again, there really are no rules when it comes to doing community service. See our User Agreement and Privacy Policy. Copyright 2020 Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Education, Explore state by state cost analysis of US colleges in an interactive article. Let’s start with a few larger examples. Forbes states that 53 percent of admissions leaders argued that community service was a “tie-breaker” between equally qualified students. To avoid feeling like this when you're doing your community service, think about a few things: If you spend time thinking about all of this before making a decision, you'll be able to really immerse yourself in the experience. Students can go to a local animal shelter to volunteer their services. If you wish to opt out, please close your SlideShare account. I like to write so I have been trying to volunteer my time with online organizations looking for someone who could use my skills but haven't had much luck. Community Service Ideas Can anyone give me a few community service ideas? Wikibuy Review: A Free Tool That Saves You Time and Money, 15 Creative Ways to Save Money That Actually Work. I also would like to do something that is fun and outdoors. Tutoring club: Organize a group of students to tutor peers or other children in your community. Some schools require the students to plan and execute their own community service projects. Many shelters have "adoption days" that require more volunteers to be on hand to help families choose the best pet for them. This was a great idea for an outdoor project that is fun, and benefits a large number of people. These can be as simple as picking up trash in an area or along roadways. What are the Different Types of Service Learning Projects? https://blog.prepscholar.com/129-examples-of-community-service-projects Any more, and you could be neglecting studying for other admissions factors that matter. See our Privacy Policy and User Agreement for details. That being said, it's always nice to have an idea of where to start. @ Cougars- A couple years ago, I was helping my younger sister fulfill her high school community service requirements and we came up with the idea to organize a trail clean up event. Have students write down facts on note cards and then share throughout the year. Try coming up with a group idea like the one I described. Read to the children, create special math games designed to make learning fun, and offer tutoring services if individual children are in need of extra help. After the project is complete, the students are often able to play with the animals. 8. Students who want to apply to college will need to work hard in high school in order to make their application stand out. 15 High School There are many dogs that need to be walked or washed, and their cages and kennels need to be cleaned. Now I realize that anything I do to benefit my community can be considered community service. Now customize the name of a clipboard to store your clips. Outdoor projects are a great way to get out and enjoy a nice day while completing community service. Before becoming a writer, Hana worked as a teacher for several years in the U.S. and around the world. Despite having your own ideas, community service involves helping others in need and without getting paid for it. These volunteers help nurses with food and gift delivery and any other odd jobs assigned. 2. High school community service projects can involve things such as beautifying an area by picking up trash or pulling weeds or helping people by visiting nursing homes or providing service at food banks. Scribd will begin operating the SlideShare business on December 1, 2020 Heather Scoville Last Modified Date: August 13, 2020 . The holiday season is a great time for high school community service projects. PrepScholar: How Many Volunteer Hours Do You Need for College? As a high school student preparing to apply to college, there’s a good chance that you already have a lot on your plate. LetsHomeschoolHighschool.com is the premiere website for the homeschool high school community. There are so many options, and there are no rules. Any less, and you're not showing a true commitment. Module 5 school and community partnership, Top 5 YouTube Channels for Homeschooling High School, No public clipboards found for this slide. The visual of this one is great. Others do it because college admissions offices look at how much community service involvement you’ve had. 1. When we were done, we loaded all of the trash into the back of my truck and took it to the nearest waste management facility for disposal and recycling. Set up a writing program, and encourage the students to write letters to you and you can write letters back to them. Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later. Students who want to apply to college will need to work hard in high school in order to make their application stand out. What would you like to see happen in your community? High school students need more than traditional classroom learning to receive a well-rounded education, so many schools emphasize learning through required community service projects. I should just skip the golf a couple times a month and take a group of friends out to pick up garbage and rake trails. Whether it’s helping younger children with their homework, volunteering at the local animal shelter or cooking at a local soup kitchen, these are many ways to get involved in community service activities in your local area. As of this date, Scribd will manage your SlideShare account and any content you may have on SlideShare, and Scribd's General Terms of Use and Privacy Policy will apply. Indoor service projects can be done year round. Community Service Ideas for High School Students. Now that I think of it though, I like to play disc golf at the parks around my area, and I notice they are always littered with beer bottles, cans, and plastic bags. In most cases, the projects are coordinated through the school. In most cases, the projects are coordinated through the school. Slideshare uses cookies to improve functionality and performance, and to provide you with relevant advertising. Helping with holiday decorations is also an easy way to acquire community service hours, as is shoveling a neighbor's driveway if it is in an area that receives snowfall. These types of projects might take more time because they typically require advertising, collection and delivery to the proper charity. Sustainability or environmental awareness club: Educate others at your school and in your community about the importance of sustainability, and host green-conscious events. What Are the Different Types of Assisted Living for Veterans? What kind of impact are you hoping to make. Hana LaRock is a freelance content writer from New York, currently living in Mexico. Hana spent a semester studying abroad at Tel Aviv University during her undergraduate years at the University of Hartford. Many places have programs in which an organization can apply to the local or regional government to be assigned a stretch of road that must be cleaned annually or more often. If you continue browsing the site, you agree to the use of cookies on this website. Many high schools require their students to choose and execute a community service project as a way to teach the students the value of donating their time for the good of others. Gift wrapping and shopping assistance for shut-ins or the elderly is also an option. Some projects are joint projects between high schools and local community service clubs. Local food banks are always in need of volunteers to sort, organize and box food. Too many students do community service for the sake of improving their college application and nothing more.