Also feel free to check out our Discord Chat. Funny how condensed milk still lingers so much in the cuisine of former British colonies. Hong Kong-style sweetened condensed milk sandwich, Henry Hargreaves: Bacon Alphabet and Toasted. Fry until slices are golden brown. I understand why most people would be irked by this, but I am genuinely intrigued. I am intrigued too! This website exists to break down the barriers between people, to extend a weblog beyond just one person, and to foster discussion among its members. Fill a glass with ice and pour tea into cup. Okay, that makes sense. Seems closer to a grilled cheese than PB&J but cool stuff anyway. In her prescription this was buttered white toast cut into bite size pieces, and sauced with hot milk and spiced with black pepper. All rights reserved. Hong Kong style milk tea originated from the British during their colonial rule over HK until 1997. My favourite is French toast that’s done Hong Kong style, usually glazed with honey, condensed milk, chocolate syrup or peanut butter. The best recipes, kitchen tips and genius food facts. Francie would take hers with spoonful of condensed milk (but not drink it, she would just keep her hands warm around the mug and take in the scent). I’ve always wanted to try it. So a grilled cheese with condensed milk poured over it? There’s a passage saying that the Nolan family had one inalienable right as a family and that was three cups of coffee a day. Put two black tea bags in a mug, add boiling water and leave for two minutes (double the tea bags if you're making more than one cup in a larger container.) The Mido Way. I read above that some kids got SUGAR! My brother used to eat condensed milk from the tube. I have never heard of this before and it sounds wonderful. Top with a few scoops of ice cream, raspberry coulis, more condensed milk and crushed cornflakes. This sounds delicious and immediately reminded me of. Stranger things have turned out to be quite delicious, if I can advocate for waffle-burger with mustard only, then I can't turn my nose up grilled milk. I even happen to be currently in possession of white bread and sweetened condensed milk, both unusual items in my house. Mind you I’m Canadian and our blood is part syrup! With the whole condensed milk and bread concept. 2. I don't know if that is American cheese, but I think this could pair better with many other cheese besides American. For even more extravagance, top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. No one would budge if it were maple syrup so condensed milk might just be amazing. I'd have learned it from the Filipino side of the family, and it's impossible to tell when I had my first bite. Slap on a large cube of butter, drizzle condensed milk or golden syrup (made from sugar cane, not maple syrup) and serve. I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Recipes and more delivered to your inbox. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. my mouth is still confused. People who grew up in the Soviet Union / Russia / eastern Europe have fond childhood memories of condensed milk as well - it seems the whole world can finally agree about one thing: condensed milk. The French toast here is also unlike those found in most Hong Kong cha chaan tengs: pan-fried with a thin layer of egg, the bread retains its soft texture, and is then slathered generously with condensed milk. roti prata with milo, tho -- puts nutella toast to shame! I think I'd need to try it to get this image out of my head of eating toast soaked in milk. And I say this as a rabid fan of grilled cheese. but even you're trying to be trendy you can't run away from your cultural upbringing, i guess. I have had many a "toast meal" at Markham diners, and lo they are good. The Hong Kong version uses condensed, evaporated or sweetened milk instead of ordinary milk. I don’t think this is a good idea. If you do not include a recipe or instructions to make the dish your post will be removed. A more extreme version of this is big toast, a modern Cantonese classic. They were in his army ration packs, and they'd do that on the march. And if you happen to be in Hong Kong, stopping by Mido Cafe (63 Temple Street, Mong Kok, Kowloon, Hong Kong) for the real thing is worth while. Forgot to mention: the milk was fresh, not canned. ©2020 Verizon Media. Toast, add a half pound of butter, drenched in condensed milk. Ingredients Slices of thick, white bread 2 eggs Stick of butter (substitute with oil for the more health conscious) Golden syrup, jam, peanut butter or condensed milk. You had to watch it closely, so as to not catch it on fire. Sweetened condensed milk is the basis of true Key Lime Pie, for what it's worth. Never been a fan of condensed milk except for its use in making fudge or my mom's mashed potatoes, though that might have just been evaporated milk? Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns. i still don't know what to think about it. There are a variety of ways to prepare the French toast, but the most basic way is the best. Thanks for posting this. But I need to know which cheese is used in the recipe! To assemble, stack triangle toasts to create a tower. Her brother Neely would not drink his coffee either but spread his ration of condensed milk on some bread. When I think of a childhood sandwich that creates the same enthusiasm that PB&J does for many Americans, it has to be a. I grew up on this...condensed milk and toasted wonderbread...so comforting. Here's a link to a typical condensed milk toast (HK version). I mean, having grown up on toast and honey, this seems to be along the same lines for a culture that has more ready access to sweetened condensed milk in the rest of their diet. posted by astapasta24 at 9:12 AM on October 30, 2018 [ 1 favorite ] Funny how condensed milk still lingers so much in the cuisine of former British colonies. Mido makes a traditional Hong Kong style French toast and some pretty good iced milk tea. The toast is best served warm with butter and a drizzle of sweetened condensed milk or maple/golden syrup along with a cup of Hong Kong Milk Tea (here is a recipe from The Woks of Life). This looks tasty - seems analogous to toast with honey except better to me since I don't really like honey except in baked things. Don't be shy, this isn't a beauty contest. Isn’t condensed milk sweet?? A typical weblog is one person posting their thoughts on the unique things they find on the web. Preparation 1. I think I will try it with my kindergartener. People put a slice of cheddar cheese on warmed apple pie so that is sweet and savory too. Can anyone speak to the similarities between this and Fluff? Well, I'll try anything twice. So interesting that it has the Hong Kong background. I have, unfortunately, lived in one of the sad and blighted countries my whole life. Since coming back from 2 years in Hong Kong, I've noticed that I do tend to use sweetened condensed milk more often.