This is restaurant quality! When you bake your tofu, you give it time to develop crispy edges and warm, pillowy insides. I have tried and failed at making tofu so many times, but since I’ve had great results with a number of your recipes, I thought I’d give it one last go. xo! Hi! I used twice the seasoning and still bland. I’m no-added-oil, so I’ll stick to the baking method. Ive never baked tofu before so is this normal? I thought I followed the recipe exactly, but it didn’t get crispy at all. It is a difficult balance to be able to afford to offer free recipes via this site. I seasoned the tofu with salt, garlic powder and roasted sesame & ginger flakes. Yay! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram. Thanks. Can’t wait to make it again! I used this to go in a curry broth with peppers, onions, carrots, and rice noodles. Everyone in our family loves it ? Thanks, this is my go to recipe from now on…. How about the super firm tofu? Make sure to tag. Sizzled in Avocado oil for 5 min. :). I will try it again. Learn how your comment data is processed. I think the crumbles were my favorite part. I was so tired of frying my tofu and now I have a better and tastier alternative. Thanks for the lovely review, Kerry! This tofu is best when served the day of making it. Your email address will not be published. Thank you for sharing. You waste a huge, thick, freezer-type zip loc bag just to coat the tofu in cornstarch / flour? Then I hand dry it and oil it occasionally. Easy to make and turned out better than i expected. I added some snap peas, cashews, broccoli, a little of lime juice. Amazing! question–when you say this is crispy, do you mean just crispy on the outside? How’d you figure to use that? Parchment paper can be used but it may stick. This was absolutely the best tofu I’ve ever tasted! Can I substitute toasted sesame oil in place of olive oil for flavor? I like those oils because they’re neutral in flavor. Would you use the same method for tempeh? But I don’t think it’s necessary. It’s super helpful for us and other readers. Next time, would you mind leaving a rating with your review? Hi Daniela! Thank you for sharing, Kelley! Will make again for sure. Also, this tofu works best when then added to dishes with an additional sauce, like this curry! This is my first time making this recipe. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I also recommend having a large Ziplock bag for coating the tofu. Spread your prepared tofu in an even layer across a sheet pan. ), (if avoiding oil, skip this, but tofu may stick to a bare pan), Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and wrap your extra firm tofu in an absorbent towel. Toss gently to combine. Step 4: Finish baking in the oven for about 15 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Even my 13 year old loves it. Man walks into a village with a stone to make stone soup. Your description on your website, on this page, doesn’t say to wrap it in a towel or something else – it just says “wrap it”. I used tamari sauce to season after I took it out of the oven. First time cooking tofu but it came out much better than I expected, texture and taste spot on…. Cornstarch is a more processed ingredient, but it yields the crispiest results. Is there a substitution for the soy sauce that would work better for an “Italian” flavored meal? I had this with broccoli and rice, topped with stir fry sauce and green onions. After it’s mostly cooked up. I used coconut aminos instead of tamari and white rice flour instead of the starch. Thanks to you both!! (I always dry it and use a skillet to press out the extra water). Made the crispy baked tofu last night. I also added a little garlic and ginger, as another commenter suggested. I press my tofu very firmly, and so far it seems to have been okay in the recipes I’ve tried. I can’t wait ’till I get some more tofu and not put it in the freezer before using this. Thanks! Thank you :). Thanks so much I love it. It’s delicious!! Hi Melanie! The key here is to slice the tofu into pieces before pressing it. Wow!! Looks awesome. I only cooked it for 20 mins as it was golden by then. Great recipe. Thanks. Some people swear by cooking their tofu in a skillet, but it never turns out well in my cast iron skillets. Thank you for taking the time to leave this review! It’s full of simple ingredients and an easy cooking method. Hi! This is excellent, I probably put less than half the recipe on my tofu and it was still amazing. That’s great Kat! Didn’t even last 5 minutes. I don’t know why I didn’t think of this sooner. Wish I could coke perfectly like what you did. I tried this recipe and it worked perfectly! I did not have any cornstarch but they still turned out MUCH crispier than when I cook it on the stove! XO. I’m giving this recipe five stars even though I didn’t follow the recipe lol. Olive oil - helps cook the tofu. Thanks so much for the lovely review, Kat. I followed the recipe exactly and I’m beyond pleased with the results. Thanks for sharing! We are so glad everyone enjoyed it! Hello! I then added it to squash and green pepper that I was sauteeing. Hi June! It’s so helpful for us and other readers. I added a little bit of Szechuan spice to it before baking. Delicious!!!!!!! Whoop! Extra firm tofu that you’ve pressed the water out of will give you the best texture possible. I was really scared to make Tofu. By itself it is nothing much. Had 9 ozs of tofu, some rice, peppers, and pineapple so I baked the tofu per your recipe, mixed the rest of the ingredients together, put the crispy and YUMMY tofu on that and then used Trader Joe’s sweet chili sauce as a topping. I have been searching for an easy, low fat was to make a crispy tofu – and THIS IS IT! Next tofu block is getting the Dana treatment ;) ! I hope your enjoying our recipes. Using a tofu press is convenient, but not necessary. Hi! Sorry to hear you’re having some trouble with this recipe, Jamie! I cook fresh, vegetarian recipes. I agree the combo in the original recipe is a winner, and I love it for plain tofu! This is best served right away. Added a thumb of grated ginger & a clove of grated garlic to the oil & soy sauce. Thank you for sharing this. Required fields are marked *. Great recipe! Seal the bag (or container) once more and give it a good shake, so that the tofu is fully coated by the cornstarch. While seasoned well on the outside it will still benefit from a hearty sauce, like my stir-fry glaze, Almond Butter Tofu Glaze, or a NEW green curry sauce coming soon! I mean some of my FAVORITE dinner recipes center around tofu such as Sautéed Tofu with Peanut Sauce, Tofu Fried Rice, and Thai Red Curry with Tofu. yeah, thats a great way to prepare tofu! the texture changes a lot, it becomes like a sponge. Thanks so much for the lovely review, April. I’m newly vegan without stopping in vegetarian land so I had never cooked or eaten tofu. If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too. I tossed and baked it with just olive oil and cornstarch. I would suggest arrowroot if you can find it! We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated with sea salt and avocado oil and without extra sauces/seasonings. Delicious!!! My go-to prep with mine is soaking it for 15 minutes or so in salted boiling water (salted to where it’s like sea water salty), and then just towelling off the surface moisture before frying it in the cast iron skillet in very hot neutral-flavoured oil. I just got an air fryer, and am wondering if this recipe could be adapted to the air fryer? How were you able to get the tofu crispy? I used a avocado/saffron/coconut mixed oil that handled the heat very well and the pieces sizzled when laid in the pan and my oven was hot. it’s actually a traditional chinese method, called “thousand layer tofu”. xoxo! xo, This combo really worked for me. It is so frustrating. Seemed like the tofu was “done” in the oven in 15 minutes, tops. I used extra firm and all that. Not sure what I did wrong! I finally mastered the crispy tofu! Add your oil, rotating the skillet so that it evenly covers the bottom. Thanks for sharing this super awesome and easy recipe! Do this every 30 seconds or so. My flavor came from the sauce, so I only added salt to the tofu after the initial baking step. Evenly distribute the tofu onto the baking sheet in a single later and place it into the oven for 35-45 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Use high-quality, extra-frim tofu. Game changer for me! Do you know if it would freeze okay afterwards? I don’t know how people enjoy tofu without this awesome trick- makes the tofu nice and chewy and you don’t have to spend time pressing it out. Yay! THIS SITE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS     © 2020 My Darling Vegan — All Rights Reserved. I have a question- am I able to prepare a whole block of tofu this way and bake as needed? I’m not sure you would get the same result stovetop. 3. Thanks for inspiring me to make tofu more often! Just made the crispy baked tofu for the first time. Read my post about how to press tofu without a press, or here’s an affiliate link if you just want to buy a tofu press. Can this be done a day in advance except for the final bake? I myself removed tofu from my diet a long time ago but I had to give this a try when one of my kids said they wanted to eat tofu today. I appreciate you taking the time to review. I like super firm tofu cause there’s no need to press it :). Toss the tofu in cornstarch for a crispy skin. I baked it at the temperature it said in the recipe for the time it stated too. In my case it seems that just burns a bit of the seasoning. This main dish is ready in under an hour and did I forget to mention that it’s super yummy! I’m so sorry you had a bad experience on my site. Thanks so much! Once you are ready to use, wring out the liquid like a sponge and cut the tofu to the size you want. Cast iron is best because it heats up SUPER HOT and when oiled properly has a non-stick surface. I have a kitchenette so I cook with an electric fry pan and toaster oven. (You will not be subscribed to our email newsletter.).