Saul makes David a commander over his armies and offers him his daughter Michal in marriage for bringing more than 200 foreskins of the Philistines to him. A fragment of an Aramaean victory stele discovered in 1993 at Tel Dan and dated c.850–835 BC contains a phrase ביתדוד (bytdwd). Origin - German [89] The authors and editors of Samuel drew on many earlier sources, including, for their history of David, the "history of David's rise" (1 Samuel 16:14–2, 5:10), and the "succession narrative" (2 Samuel 9–20 and 1 Kings 1–2). Get tools and resources to easily expand your learning and enrich your spiritual life, by Dr. Mike Evans | Jul 10, 2017 | Blog | 0 comments, Designed by Elegant Themes | Powered by WordPress. David escaped. SeventeenthDynasty, (1500–1100 BCE)Kidinuid dynastyIgehalkid dynastyUntash-Napirisha, Twenty-first Dynasty of EgyptSmendes Amenemnisu Psusennes I Amenemope Osorkon the Elder Siamun Psusennes II, Twenty-third Dynasty of EgyptHarsiese A Takelot II Pedubast I Shoshenq VI Osorkon III Takelot III Rudamun Menkheperre Ini Although reading the bible in English is also perceived by believers as reading truth, the immediate sense of substantiation, as reflected in the mere Hebrew name is missing from the non-Hebrew reading experience. See pp. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. The first recorded use of the name David is in the Old Testament of the Bible. Russian icon of St. David, the Prophet and King, 18th century (Iconostasis of Kizhi monastery, Karelia, Russia). He had eight wives: Michal, the second daughter of King Saul; Ahinoam the Jezreelite; Abigail the Carmelite, previously wife of Nabal;[68] Maachah, daughter of Talmai, king of Geshur; Haggith; Abital; Eglah; and Bathsheba, previously the wife of Uriah the Hittite. David’s adultery with Bathsheba was only an opportunity to demonstrate the power of repentance, and some Talmudic authors stated that it was not adultery at all, quoting a Jewish practice of divorce on the eve of battle. [44] In the north, Saul's son Ish-Bosheth is anointed king of Israel, and war ensues until Ish-Bosheth is murdered. His name is spelled with Dalet, Vav, Dalet, exactly as the spelling of the word ‘beloved’ or ‘favorite.’. This was the background to the concept of Messiahship in early Christianity, which interpreted the career of Jesus "by means of the titles and functions assigned to David in the mysticism of the Zion cult, in which he served as priest-king and in which he was the mediator between God and man". For other uses, see, King of the United Kingdom of Israel and Judah, David of the United Kingdom of Israel and Judah, History of interpretation in the Abrahamic religions. The biblical account about David comes from the book of Samuel and the book of Chronicles (both of which are divided into two books in Jewish and Christian traditions). [79] According to the parallel narrative in 1 Samuel 21, instead of killing the man who had exacted so many casualties from him, Abimelech allows David to leave, exclaiming, "Am I so short of madmen that you have to bring this fellow here to carry on like this in front of me?