Now quickly whisk in the cocoa powder. It’s also great at Easter, decorated with sugar-coated chocolate Aaaaah, you are brilliant! Delia shows you how to bake a perfect sponge cake with a creamy passion fruit filling. Master the art of the sponge cake and you're away - Delia offers masses of wonderful cakes from easy, quick and cheap options right up to celebration cakes with a difference and none of them too difficult to make either We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. If it seems a little too stiff, add a little water and mix again. Let it cool a bit. Thank you! We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. See more Father's Day cakes recipes (17). You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. You can now watch how to make Squidgy Chocolate Cake in our Cookery School Perfect Cakes Term: Chocolate Cakes video lesson below. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. https://www.deliaonline.com/.../desserts/chocolate-fudge-cake Whisk the yolks with an electric hand whisk until they begin to thicken. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. For a better experience on Delia Online website, enable JavaScript in your browser. http://www.weddingcakesbydesign.com/traditional_white.html, http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm, http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cakulator.cgi, http://www.earlenescakes.com/Fondantchart.html, http://www.designmeacake.com/tutorials.html, 6" = 0.73 times 7" volume or approximately 3/4 of the 7", 9" = 1.66 times 7" volume or approximately 1 2/3 of the 7", 12" = 2.94 times the 7" or approximately 3 of the 7", 9" = 6 5/8-6 5/8-6 5/8-3 5/16, I'd probably round to 7-7-7-3 1/2, 8" = 0.79 times 9" or 4.75-4.75-4.75-2.375-0.79, rounded off to 4 3/4-4 3/4- 4 3/4- 2 3/8- 3/4, 10" = 1.2 times 9" or 7.2-7.2-7.2-3.6-1.2 or rounded off to 7 1/4-7 1/4-7 1/4-3 5/8-1 1/4 (scant), 12" = 1.81 times 9" or 10.86-10.86-10.86-5-46-1.81 or rounded off to 10 7/8-10 7/8-10 7/8-5 7/16-13/16 (scant 7/, 12" layer = Pi*d = 3.14159*12=37.699 use 37.7 sq in/in of height, for 1 3/4" = 65.97, use 66 sq in, 10" layer = Pi*d = 3.14159*10=31.4159 use 31.4sq in/in of height, for 1 3/4" = 54.97 use 55 sq in, 8" layer = Pi*8 = 3.14159*8 = 25.132, use 25.1 sq in/in of height, for 1 3/4: = 43.98 use 44 sq in, 12 " layer = Pi*6*6= 3.14159*6*6 = 113.097, use 113.1 sq in, 10" layer = Pi*5*5 = 3.14159*5*5 =   78.539, use  78.5 sq in, 8" layer  = Pi*4*4  = 3.14159*4*4 =   50.265, use   50.3 sq in, Middle = same as top                = 63.617. Now cut the cake evenly in half (not lengthways – i.e. Email to a friend. We think this is best eaten on the same day but it will keep for a couple of days in the fridge. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, spread it evenly with the back of a tablespoon and bake on a highish shelf in the oven for about 20–25 minutes until risen and puffy like a soufflé (it won’t look as if it’s cooked – but it will be). This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Preparation and cooking time. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. The one you want uses wooden dowels, or something similar, and cake circles. Read about our approach to external linking. Your email address will not be published. Start off by making the chocolate filling. Put into the oven for about 10-15 minutes. Once cool, take to sponge out of the tins and place onto a cooling rack. Advertisement. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/aclassicspongecakewi_9406 Keep it covered loosely with foil or clingfilm in the fridge until you are ready to serve. Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen. Do I just add another 2oz of butter, flour and sugar and another 1 egg per 2-inch size increase? A quicker way to make a cake if you want to be on time with your schedule. Then it’s filled and topped with chocolate mousse, whipped cream and shards of chocolate. Next, in another bowl, combine the mascarpone, fromage frais, sugar and vanilla extract, using a balloon whisk, which is the quickest way to blend them all together. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/easy_chocolate_cake_31070 For a better experience on Delia Online website, enable JavaScript in your browser. Then, before you turn it out, gently loosen the sides of the cake away from the liner, and turn it out onto the paper. Baking Bagels – Easy Authentic Bagel Recipe, The Hummingbird Bakery Pumpkin & Cream Cheese Roulade Video. Lastly, place the other cake on top, press it gently so that the filling oozes out at the edges, then dust the surface with a little sifted icing sugar. Then remove from the refrigerator, or it will get too stiff. Clean Eating Recipes. Delia's Squidgy Chocolate Cake recipe. Put the broken-up chocolate and water in a bowl over a pan containing 5cm of barely simmering water, without the bowl touching the water. Equipment: You will also need two 8 inch (20 cm) 1½ inch (4 cm) deep sponge tins, lightly greased and the bases lined with baking paper. In the late ’70s this cake went down a storm, and still people tell me they always have it on their birthday! New! If the 9" is a 6-6-6-3-1 of flour, sugar, butter, eggs, baking powder, then the amounts for the other pan sizes are: Baker or not, you are a lifesaver! Because it is not made with flour it’s incredibly light and soufflé-like. To make this, first slice the passion fruit into halves and, using a tsp, scoop all the flesh, juice and seeds into a bowl. In the late ’70s this cake went down a storm, and still people tell me they always have it on their birthday! Take out the oven and place on the side to cool down. Assuming your layers are 1 3/4" thick, the total square inches of side to be covered is: Could have jumped in sooner but Pete's math is always a site to ponder lol! Explore. https://www.tarladalal.com/Fatless-Chocolate-Sponge-Cake-with-Eggs-33917r Sprinkle the remaining chopped chocolate all over the top of the cake. Now place one half of the cake on a serving plate, then, using a palette knife, spread half the chocolate mixture over one half of the cake, and about a quarter of the cream over the chocolate and sprinkle it with half of the chopped chocolate. Each layer will have buttercream frosting and then fondant icing. I find myself doing these same mathematics when it comes to using my assortment of tart pans, to scale up or down a recipe! I've never had a 7-inch tin, so I always use 6oz of flour, butter, and sugar and 3 eggs for my 9-inch (I believe) tin. Half the mixture and pour into two sandwich tins. To test whether the cakes are cooked or not, touch the centre of each lightly with a finger: if it leaves no impression and the sponges spring back, they are ready. Take a very large mixing bowl, put the flour and baking powder in a sieve and sift it into the bowl, holding the sieve high to give it a good airing as it goes down. Remove it from the oven and don’t be alarmed as it starts to sink because it’s supposed to be – when it is cool, it will look crinkly on the surface. Delia left school at 16 with no qualifications and worked as a trainee hairdresser, then a shop assistant and later at a travel agency. Nov 16, 2013 - Delia Smith recipe cherry madeira cake - 230 cals per slice 155g light butter 155g caster sugar 3 medium eggs 175g plain flour 1/2 tsp baking powder Tsp lemon juice 225g glace cherries Baked at 140 for 90 mins. What you will now end up with is a mixture that drops off a spoon when you give it a tap on the side of the bowl. At this point, take a metal spoon and carefully fold them into the egg yolk mixture, gently and thoroughly and making sure you get right down to the bottom of the bowl with the spoon. Now spread the rest of the chocolate mixture on top, and then cover the whole cake (sides as well) with whipped cream. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Delia Smith’s Christmas cake is a boozy affair including rum, brandy, cherry brandy and Angostura Bitters. Lift the tin away from the cake and carefully peel off the lining. Share on pinterest. Now divide the mixture between the two tins, level it out and place the tins on the centre shelf of the oven. Now separate two of the eggs and beat the yolks, first on their own, then into the warm chocolate mixture. Now for the cake. Place the other half of the cake on top, forming a sandwich (a pan slice will assist you here). Then it’s filled and topped with chocolate mousse, whipped cream and shards of chocolate. Can anyone give me some pointers? So glad I checked: I was just going to stack the cakes on top of each other /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif. Thank you! By Skielouise2000 (GoodFood Community) 0 reviews. To turn the cake out, place a piece of baking parchment on a flat surface. When it has melted (5–10 minutes), take it off the heat and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Next whip the cream until quite thick. It’s also great at Easter, decorated with sugar-coated chocolate eggs. If you do not have an electric hand whisk, you can use a wooden spoon, using a little bit more effort. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Be warned, it takes a week of pre-soaking the ingredients so don’t try this at the last minute! Now place the first sponge cake on the plate or cake stand you are going to serve it on, then spread half the filling over it, drizzle the rest of the passion fruit over that, then spread the remaining filling over the passion fruit. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mary_berrys_perfect_34317 ChefTalk.com is a community of food lovers dedicated to chefs, © 1999-document.write(new Date().getFullYear()); ChefTalk.com. Because it is not made with flour it’s incredibly light and soufflé-like. You are using an out of date browser. You must log in or register to reply here. Now leave the sponges to get completely cold, then add the filling. when completely cool, peel of baking sheet if necessary. Delia Smith's recipe for a vanilla sponge cake, for those who aren't familiar, is 4oz flour, 4oz sugar, 4oz butter, and two eggs, for a (I believe) 7-inch pan. Privacy Policy. you need to end up with two squarish oblongs). Now all you do is simply add all the other cake ingredients (except the icing sugar) to the bowl and, provided the butter is really soft, just go in with an electric hand whisk and whisk everything together until you have a smooth, well-combined mixture, which will take about one minute.