Take the opportunity to begin S.E. Students explore language arts by analyzing a story in class. 15603 Views. It can be difficult to begin a novel when you don't know what it's about. Using John Steinbeck's The Pearl, learners predict what is coming, verify and judge their predictions, and analyze what they are reading more closely.  Comprehend what they are reading through pictures, predictions, and discussions. Save time lesson planning by exploring our library of educator reviews to over 550,000 open educational resources (OER). Definition/Description: The Directed Reading Thinking Activity (DRTA) is a comprehension strategy that is used during reading to guide students in asking questions about a text and making predictions. You may know what book I’m talking about but it could be a lot of books and you also probably didn’t have too much fun listening to it, let me try again and add some names in: I read this book about a teacher Ms. Nelson, she was a teacher of second graders in room 207, but all the students throw spitballs and paper airplanes and didn’t do their schoolwork. The next day Ms. Nelson was absent and in came Ms. As the... An in-class reading of Shel Silverstein's The Missing Piece Meets the Big O introduces class members to the journey motif that forms the basis of The Hobbit. Purpose is to guide a small group in two specific strategies. During partner reading have students write down vocab from a read book. Students will learn to make, check, and revise predictions several times over the course of a text. Introduce the text, the purpose of the DRTA, and provide examples of how to make predictions. It's helpful to encourage kids to make predictions when beginning a reading unit. Today we are going to learn about a new skill to use when retelling. Remember yesterday we talked about retelling and how we need to order our events in the same order they happen in the book? One skill we should use when retelling is including the names of people, settings, and items (chair, desk, bone, etc.) The Red Badge Of Courage: Directed Reading Thinking Activity, Tuck Everlasting: Directed Reading Thinking Activity, Dracula: Directed Reading Thinking Activity (DRTA), Unwind: Directed Reading Thinking Activity, Direct Reading Thinking Activity Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Touching Spirit Bear: Directed Reading Thinking Activity, The Lightning Thief: Directed Reading-Thinking Activity, Nightjohn: Directed Reading Thinking Activity, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer: Directed Reading Thinking Activity, My Antonia: Directed Reading Thinking Activity, Touching Spirit Bear: Directed Thinking Activity, The Old Man and the Sea: Directed Reading Thinking Activity, When I Was Puerto Rican: Directed Reading-Thinking Activity, The Outsiders: Directed Reading Thinking Activity, Night: Directed Reading Thinking Activity, Bud, Not Buddy: Directed Reading Thinking Activity, Pride and Prejudice: Directed Reading Thinking Activity, The Pearl: Directed Reading Thinking Activity, The Book Thief: Directed Reading Thinking Activity, Journey to Topaz: Directed Reading Thinking Activity, The Hobbit: Directed Reading - Thinking Activity. To generate interest in reading Neal Shusterman's young adult science fiction novel Unwind, class members engage in a Directed Reading-Thinking Activity (DRTA) that asks them to examine the front and back covers, the blurbs, and "The... Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, the fourth novel in the series by J.K. Rowling, is the focus of a directed reading worksheet that begins by asking readers to examine the book cover and chapter titles and to predict what the story... What experiences lead people to change and how do they do it? Download Lesson Plan 1 Directed Reading Thinking Activity Drta Free download Manual Body Manual Cd Incudes Barracuda Cuda Roadrunner Satellite Regent Sebring Sebring Plus And Custom Duster Duster 340 Scamp Scamp Special Valiantgran Sedan Gran Coupe 72,Seiko Snac15 Watches Owners Manual,1999 Porsche Boxster Owners Manual Download,Moto Guzzi V7 This can be done individually, in a small group, or as a whole class. Class members examine portions of a novel, and make predictions about the theme or subject matter of the book. See details for more info. Before reading Hoot by Carl Hiaasen, have kids read Susan Barlow Broggi's Am I Grown Up When I'm Not Afraid of Spiders in My Shoes? Can you guess what is going to happen in a story just by looking at the cover? Compare the novel to a picture book with a lesson about making predictions and finding textual evidence. This is going to make your retell have more detail and be more interesting. Why do we retell? Close. Directed Reading-Thinking Activity (DRTA) lesson plan template and teaching resources.