The ledge was secured on with wood glue and I also shot some nails from the top down into the casing. We used cheap plywood to get the look of real shiplap. It turned out great. I actually started kind of at the end by building the … Here are some pictures of the finished wall. amzn_assoc_region = "US"; A shiplap look on a budget! Do you love Shiplap Walls? It gives your bathroom wall some character on a budget, and keeps usable towels hanging nicely. It can be. Follow these easy instructions and transform your own space for UNDER $40 with this DIY Shiplap Wall! So calming and yet such a simple solution. Awesome tutorial- you could not have explained it better had you been doing the project with me in my own home . Is the luan thin enough that I can run it right down to the top of the baseboards, without an overhang? We cut the plywood into 8 inch wide pieces. We’ll help you make your house a welcoming home every day, all year long. I teach college kids for a living and I am very passionate about budget-friendly DIY. Please see our full disclosure here. So Doug measured and marked all of the studs- our studs are approximately 18 inches apart. I used a utility knife to cut out the light switch. If you would like to see the entire bathroom, come see what I did for $100! Thanks for your help. Then I added vaseline in random places. It is tongue & groove and a much thicker wood. Do you think this can be done in a bathroom? I did something similar on my entry way plank wall. Nice to virtually meet you! amzn_assoc_linkid = "c5a5e2986e2793ead4918cd4b2b8e9bb"; Your idea of using industrial velcro might work, depending on how large the wall is that you would do this on. Measure and Cut Inside Boards . And of course, we are also building the She Shed which will have Farmhouse Decor as well. It looks like it was supposed to be there. EASY DIY … Thank you for joining me! My bathroom wall is just over 5 feet wide so I had four studs to mark. After the studs where all marked, I started nailing the planks from the bottom up. That way when you sand the paint off, the places where you added vaseline will make the paint easily fall off and the dark walnut will show through, giving it a distressed look! Adding shiplap walls to your home is easier and cheaper than you may think. Learn how to plank a wall (DIY shiplap) Step 1. You can also buy plywood and cut it into … you talk about finding and marking the studs, but what do you do with that? Did you just roll the paint on with a thick roller? Now it’s time to add the boards. OK, enough already, let’s get down to the steps to creating the perfect DIY Shiplap Fireplace! Paint the Plywood. Step 2: Select plank material Step 3: Rip plywood 4 sheets 4′ by 8′ sanded plywood … Thank you so much for the feature! Also when it comes time to remove them it might damage the wall more than a few nail holes. To keep the cost down, we used Luan Plywood. Next up in our Plywood Pretty lineup, we have a fabulous guest showing how to add some Joanna-Gaines-farmhouse-Fixer-Upper style to a room with a sheet of plywood and a nail gun… yup, we’re talking a shiplap plank wall, and she added towel hooks to make it even more fabulous! I used pennies as spacers to keep the planks at equal distance from each other. By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. Get started NOW! After the studs are found, use your level to mark vertical lines on the wall where the studs are. This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. No I did not caulk around the ceiling or corners, there was no need to since I cut them to fit snugly. Cut it into 6-inch-wide strips with a table saw or circular saw and sand the edges. Also check out this pallet wood wall for a different kind of rustic look. I am a blog follower so I saw it here first but your wall is also featured on Hometalk. I’ve got to stop looking and get working! I used a level as I went, to make sure my planks were straight before I shot 2″ nails in. Hi Saundra- you can totally do it! Mini lesson on purchasing shiplap: You can purchase pre-made shiplap at The Home Depot with tongue and grooves already in them. So, teaching DIY tutorials is my favorite! The only thing we had trouble with while cutting was that the Luan Plywood was a little flimsy because it was thin. The towel bar actually fell off a while back and I never bothered replacing it, because I just knew there was something better I could do! Making Shiplap Wall Panels From Plywood General Woodworking This is part of an ongoing remodel of my office to make it more comfortable to work in. Or did you do the entire room (all 4 walls)? Decorating, DIY projects, parties, gardening, good food, family and fun–we cover it all! I did shiplap look with Hardiplank siding in my bathroom. Learn how we did our DIY faux shiplap, the easy (and inexpensive) way! There’s definitely a significant cost savings to creating the look of shiplap with plywood strips instead of using true shiplap boards so that’s one reason that faux is the way to go. I had them cut it for me at Home Depot… The planks were spaced to create the illusion of shiplap. I guess I just can’t get enough of this style of decorating. amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; Would this work as long as the ends were painted? The wall that you are installing the vertical shiplap on should be clean and flat. First is cost but I haven’t looked into how much that might cost for enough velcro. Is the plywood you used thin enough that It would be useable on a wall where the ends/edges would be visible? Enough about my Jo Jo obsession and more about HOW easy and inexpensive it is to DIY Shiplap. … Measure your wall for the number of plywood sheets needed. 2. Yes Von, that would be a perfect solution. I am loving #plywoodpretty week! Hi Kristie, Yes you will need a brush to get in between the boards and I used a 3/8 inch nap paint roller cover. Hindsight moment: Make sure you don’t put vaseline on the lighter colored areas if you don’t want them to show through. It’s already a weather proof treatment. We used tile spacers to make the spacing in between the boards all the same. Real shiplap is very expensive. … Once all of the planks were nailed on, I cut a piece of casing the width of the wall. Hello! Step 2. I read that .25” thick maple plywood in 4’ x 8’ sheets would be my most cost effective option to … can you see the nails? Please see our full disclosure. Spacers – only used a few …