Dorie Greenspan’s Black and White Chocolate Cake. Put the pans on a baking sheet. Meanwhile, bring 1/2 cup of the heavy cream to a boil.When the white chocolate is melted, remove the bowl from the pan. A really simple and moist cake that is more apple than cake. Stir frequently to melt the chocolate evenly. With a long metal icing spatula, spread enough dark chocolate cream (about 1 cup) over the cake layer to cover it completely. That night, sitting at the kitchen counter, I realized that I probably could mark my life in memories of ice cream. So many good textures. Put the pan over medium heat and, whisking vigorously, constantly and thoroughly (make sure to get into the edges of the pan), bring the mixture to a boil. Yes, I did. Most ice cream is made with cream and milk, sugar and, if it’s French-style, egg yolks. Remove the pan from the heat.Whisk in the melted chocolate, and let stand for 5 minutes. In fact, no directory for Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan. Or, if you want to cool the cream quickly, put the bowl with the cream into a larger bowl filled with ice cubes and cold water and stir the cream occasionally until it is thoroughly chilled, about 20 minutes. Press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the cream to create an airtight seal and refrigerate the cream until chilled, or for up to 3 days. 2011-03-31 2012-03-07. Recipe is from Dorie Greenspan's newest cookbook, Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes From My Home to Yours where it's called Marie-Hélène's Apple Cake. Out of the bowl. A vanilla cake layered with dark chocolate and white chocolate cream, covered in white chocolate cream. I didn’t like that Michael put chocolate ice cream on his blueberry pie — it looked messy when it melted — but I got over it. Top with the final layer of cake, cut side down, and frost the sides and top with the remaining white chocolate whipped cream. Whisk in the melted chocolate, and let stand for 5 minutes. If you’d like to decorate the top with chocolate shavings or curls, do it now. Cake guru Flo Braker claims that it wasn't the cake itself, but the memories of a forever lost time and place. Beat in the vanilla; don’t be concerned if the mixture looks curdled. : Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. ⁦@. As confinement continued, and even as D.Q. by Kristin Donnelly | The best way to cook a stress-free dinner is to think ahead, which is why we've created this comprehensive... by Amanda Balagur | Thanksgiving for one (or two) can be just as festive as any big to-do. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. After-school scoops with my son, Joshua, at the Häagen-Dazs shop that used to be on Broadway, in Manhattan. What the hell? Then whisk in the pieces of butter, stirring until they are fully incorporated and the chocolate cream is smooth and silky. It seems inconceivable that Ebingers could disappear without a trace almost 35 years ago, yet so many people share the same memory of what must have been the best commercial bakery EVER. Whether I used fresh or frozen berries, the ice cream’s texture was still luxurious, and for me, so much of ice cream is about texture — about the way it melts. (You’ll have some dark chocolate cream left over–use it as a dip for madeleines or sables). It seems inconceivable that Ebingers could disappear without a trace almost 35 years ago, yet so many people share the same memory of what must have been the best commercial bakery EVER. With a long metal icing spatula, spread enough dark chocolate cream (about 1 cup) over the cake layer to cover it completely. Put the pan over medium heat and, whisking vigorously, constantly and thoroughly (make sure to get into the edges of the pan), bring the mixture to a boil. Plus, hear her top tips for baking cookies, including how she stores butter and what she uses instead of chocolate chips. Change ). I liked the Grape-Nuts ice cream we had in Maine on our honeymoon. Cover with a third layer, cut side up, and cover with another cup of so of the dark chocolate cream. I've tried several recipes over the years (Molly O'Neill; Gale Gand; others) and some of these tasted good, but none was anything like the Blackout cake that I remember. 1 1/4 sticks (10 T) unsalted butter, room temp. Heami Lee for The New York Times. Turn the machine to high, add the cooled white chocolate all at once and continue to beat until the whipped cream holds firm peaks. Turn the whipped cream into a bowl, press a piece of plastic wrap gently against the surface to create an airtight seal and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or up to 6 hours.To Assemble the Cake:If the tops of the cake layers have crowned, use a long serrated knife and a gentle sawing motion to even them. Strange. Pour the hot cream into the melted chocolate and let it sit for a minute. Pecan Pie or Pumpkin Pie: Which One Wins Thanksgiving? Working with a stand mixer, preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until soft and creamy. Dorie Greenspan’s Perfect Party Cake. Ice cream at the Prospect Park Zoo — also with my father. When fully baked, the cakes will be golden and springy to the touch and a thin knife inserted into the centers will come out clean. Turn the machine to high, add the cooled white chocolate all at once and continue to beat until the whipped cream holds firm peaks. The ice cream I make has a lovely, almost velvety texture, and a softness that is surprising, since I don’t start with an egg custard. I liked the snowflake-shaped frost on Good Humor sundaes too. And year after year, he’s been asking for this cake from Dorie Greenspan, but he manages to change his mind at the last minute. When fully baked, the cakes will be golden and springy to the touch and a thin knife inserted into the centers will come out clean. We remember blackout cake from Ebinger’s and pizza from DiFara, now famous but then the local slice joint. Looks and sounds divine!Would love a picture of the sliced cake! Because no one can take a lick of ice cream and not take another (except my husband — it’s one of his most enviable, but annoying, traits), it’s nice when the flavor of one spoonful bolsters the flavor of the next. Slice each layer horizontally in half. There’s a texture that’s particular. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, adding the dry ingredients in 3 additions and the milk in 2 (begin and end with the dry ingredients); scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed and mix only until the ingredients disappear into the batter. 1 t pure vanilla extract (I’m going to substitute vanilla beans from my huge stash! By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. Black-And-White Chocolate Cake(from Dorie Greenspan’s Baking: From My Home to Yours)For the Cake:2 cups cake flour2 t baking powder1/8 t baking soda1/4 t salt1 1/4 sticks (10 T) unsalted butter, room temp.1 cup sugar3 large eggs1 large egg yolk1 t pure vanilla extract (I’m going to substitute vanilla beans from my huge stash! I know I blogged it. It was only a few years ago that I found a way to make eggless ice cream, better known as Philadelphia-style, seem as rich as custard: I added powdered milk, to provide fullness; honey, more for smoothness than flavor; and vodka — a shot of alcohol lowers the ice cream’s freezing point and makes it easy to scoop. : Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350degrees F. Butter two 9 x 2 inch round cake pans, dust insides with flour, tap out the excess and line the bottoms of the pans with parchment or wax paper. Add the eggs one by one, and then the yolk, beating for 1 minute after each addition. I liked it. The slower the melt, the more flavor you get. Place one layer cut side down on a cardboard cake round or on a cake plate protected by strips of wax or parchment paper.Remove the dark and white chocolate creams from the refrigerator and whisk each of them vigorously to loosen and smooth them. Not there. Recipe: Chocolate-Flake Raspberry Ice Cream, The Particular Texture and Joy of Homemade Ice Cream. If you’d like to decorate the top with chocolate shavings or curls, do it now.Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight. Berries can be ice cream’s nemesis: The juice that makes them delectable in almost any other dessert makes them intractable in ice cream.