I had two jobs before I went on leave. Parents can receive their weeks of benefits at the same time or one after another. He said he can't understand why the government is willing to make exceptions for people who are too sick to work or have spent one year in prison and are then released, but won't do the same for new mothers. Queen’s statement made no mention of whether the government would consider extending benefits for new parents. It is a priority for CBC to create a website that is accessible to all Canadians including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges. Are you sure you want to delete your discussion? Maternity benefits are only available to the person who is away from work because they're pregnant or have recently given birth. You have to work and earn more EIninsurable hours before getting to claim it again. Plus, you must apply for EI within 4 weeks of losing your job or you risk losing your benfits. One doesn't start until September (technically a new position for me) and the other one just told me my position has been filled with someone else with more seniority. As extended parental benefits are paid at a benefit rate of 33% of your average weekly … "We firmly believe that convicted criminals should not have greater access to the EI system than law-abiding Canadians," Queen said. My lay off was poor timing and unexpected. If you feel a message or content violates these standards and would like to request its removal please submit the following information and our moderating team will respond shortly. This seems crappy to me. If you get severance be carefull it's reportable to ei and reduces if not makes you owe as te put the money to the start of your claim and re adjust if you should have got less then they will send you the bill!! Not absolutely certain but I'm pretty sure you can't. You can apply for both at once. Montrealer Julie Barron had no idea she wasn’t eligible for EI until it was too late. I am nearing the end of my mat leave (one cheque left). What to Expect has thousands of open discussions happening each day. Due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, there are changes to this program. EI is for those who have unexpected lost their job...you really … You stop receiving benefits if: you've received 15 weeks of maternity benefit payments; 17 weeks have passed since your due date or the date you gave birth, whichever is later; you've received the maximum weeks of benefits payable to you when combining EI benefit types or; you have reached the end of your claim period