The definite article in English is "the." It’s the word an when it precedes a word that begins with a vowel. You can use ‘the’ with any type of noun – plural or singular, countable or uncountable. But ''I like the cats in your garden'' ('the cats' because I am talking about specific cats - not all cats.). Articles should not be used with pronouns. Here are two things for you: 10 Essential Fluency Phrases – Get the phrases for easy conversations NEW: Join The English Fluency Club – Get my 2 fluency programs + weekly challenges and group lessons. ''A few'' because we are talking about five or six. something belongs to a certain group. Nouns in English can also be uncountable. English has two types of articles: definite and indefinite. Articles are used before nouns or noun equivalents and are a type of adjective. In spite of its spelling, the word honor begins with a vowel sound. The indefinite article only appears with singular nouns. More uses of English articles. Because these things can’t be counted, you should never use a or an with them—remember, the indefinite article is only for singular nouns. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Here are some more rules for when we use English articles “a/an” and “the” – or when we omit the article: Rivers, mountain ranges, seas, oceans and geographic areas all use ‘the‘. Similarly, when the first letter of a word is a vowel but is pronounced with a consonant sound, use a, as in the sample sentence below: This holds true with acronyms and initialisms, too: an LCD display, a UK-based company, an HR department, a URL. How can you start writing an article about anything when you do not have enough information about it? 1. Tone vs. Note that depending on the context, some nouns can be countable or uncountable (e.g., hair, noise, time): Possessive pronouns can help identify whether you’re talking about specific or nonspecific items. * We respect your email privacy and you can unsubscribe at any time. Learning the English Articles displayed below is vital to the language. Articles are words that define a noun as specific or unspecific. not want a, above we find the article "the." This implied article is sometimes called a “zero article.” Often, the article is omitted before nouns that refer to abstract ideas. The and my should not be used together since they are both meant to modify the same noun. Below are some examples of the definite article the used in context: For example, your friend might ask, “Are you going to the party this weekend?” The definite article tells you that your friend is referring to a specific party that both of you know about. We use MailChimp as our marketing automation platform. When you have a single, countable English noun, you must always have an article before it. The definite article (the) is used before a noun to indicate that the identity of the noun is known to the reader. We cannot say “please pass me pen”, we must say “please pass me the pen” or “please pass me a pen” or “please pass me your pen”. 'The' night because we often use 'the' with night and day. You can say 'a night' when you want to show that it's one, rather than two or three. English has two articles: the and a/an. Generally articles specify the grammatical definiteness of the noun. "He has a son and a daughter. “The People’s Republic of China”, “The Netherlands”, “The United States of America”. For example, your friend might ask, “Are you going to the party this weekend?” The definite article tells you that your friend is referring to a specific party that both of you know about. For example, you might ask your friend, “Should I bring a gift to the party?” Your friend will understand that you are not asking about a specific type of gift or a specific item. For example, “The Thames”, “The Alps”, “The Atlantic Ocean”, “The Middle East”. In these cases, the article is implied but not actually present. Abbreviations use ‘the’. The exercice is well made too ! googletag.cmd.push(function(){googletag.defineSlot('/53015287/really-learn-english.com_d_300x250_3',[300,250],'div-gpt-ad-1407836030099-0').addService(googletag.pubads());googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest();googletag.enableServices();}); Join our mailing list now and get a special bonus: First 2 chapters of the English Short Stories Book and Workbook. As we’ve seen, articles also indicate specificity. Grammarly provides suggestions as you write. For example, in a hotel: ''I'd like to stay for a night.''. Writing, grammar, and communication tips for your inbox. With plural nouns we can omit the article when we are talking about something in general. A An The In English grammar, there are two different types of article, the definite article and the indefinite article. Instead, you should use one or the other, depending on the intended meaning: Occasionally, articles are omitted altogether before certain nouns. Again, the indefinite article indicates that she is not talking about a specific apple pie. When we talk about general concepts (life, love, happiness, etc) we don't need an article. For example, ''I like cats'' (all cats in general). Copyright © 2010-2020 Really-Learn-English.com. Articles are written to discuss different subjects or topics. 'A' because 'noise' is a singular, countable noun, and you need an article. Examples are "the, a, and an". “The children I know grow up quickly” – not all children, just the ones I know. Uncountable nouns don’t use ‘a’ or ‘an’. Remember: articles are determiners, and you can only have one before a noun - not two. 'A' is correct because it's a singular, countable noun used for the first time. (adsbygoogle=window.adsbygoogle||[]).push({}); Click Here for Step-by-Step Rules, Stories and Exercises to Practice All English Tenses. Precise and clear. Consider the examples below for reference: Water is an uncountable noun and should not be used with the indefinite article. Some institutional buildings don’t have an article if you visit them for the reason these buildings exist. But fret not, this guide is here to help you understand what an article is and basically what it does.An article is a