The CedarCide is a lot like the Wondercide, being all natural and it also uses a specific oil derived from a cedar tree that leaves out the harmful phenols and phenolic compounds that are found in regular cedar oil and be harmful to cats and other sensitive animals. Again this is all natural and doesn’t stain at all. The exception is sand fleas to this rule, they can take more direct sun. Best of luck with your flea control This small black beetle is local to the northern United States. We moved from Colorado to Virginia and our problems began. Phyllotreta pusilla, ‘Western black flea beetle’. We can’t walk anywhere in our home (and now in our car) without getting nicked by something. This product absolutely kills fleas upon contact, as well as all other biting insects (but not beneficial ones). Flea beetles are widespread across the United States, although the species varies depending on the location. If you have any other products that you’ve tried I’d love to hear your personal reviews about them! I have seen you change your answers all thru the months of people dealing with fleas, from borax to worms, to dirt to salt and now a chemical spray that is 25.00 for 16 oz. Fleas will be eaten by snakes, ants, beetles, spiders, frogs and lizards. Prior to planting, till or turn the top few inches of soil, which should cause any flea beetles there to be revealed, and get them out of the way. © 2006 That’s a lot to deal with in a years time… I’m truly sorry that you’ve been through all of this. There are different suggestions depending on what others are dealing with and whether they use chemicals or not. There is also a Wondercide for outdoors that will not kill off the natural flea predators or any of your flowers and trees. Adults are small (1/10 inch long), shiny, dark brown or black beetles with large hind legs that allow them to jump when disturbed. It can be easy to identify an area where flea beetles are widespread, as they are often known to cause extensive damage to the leaves of their favorite plants. High Humidity (or a water source), warmth, and food supply. While you're here, why not follow us on Facebook and YouTube? Hello Nancy, thank you for sharing with everyone. This stuff even kills spiders and rodents don’t like it much either . Epic Gardening occasionally links to goods or services offered by vendors to help you find the best products to care for plants. However, to plant trap crops effectively, you have to be willing to sacrifice a particularly favored type of crop plant to the beetles. I’m almost thinking of moving back to Colorado, but my kids are here. Get a jump on the fleas in your yard before it gets warmer. The Steinernema carpocapsae is considered a generalist parasite and has been effectively used to control a variety of insects including: flies, flea, ants, termites, webworms, cutworms, armyworms, girdlers, some weevils, and wood-borers. we lost are bat to white nose really makes you think twice about killing something off as are many more mosquitos and moths now. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. PO Box 32046, Tucson, AZ 85751-2046   Phone: 520-298-4400. One box of salt will do my whole house and it’s .49c to $1 depending on brand and store. I kill just one to a few per day in July and then the number grows in August and I have to kill 5-20 per day. A flea will die in a week without a food source. Do you have any 100% assurance anything will work? Then plant your seeds or seedling plants and cover. – This will treat 1500 total square feet. We’d love to know how it has worked for your flea control! Get a jump on the fleas in your yard before it gets warmer. It does get colder here in the winter and if we get a spell of – 15 cel. I’m nearing a nervous breakdown–and that’s no lie. Hello Mechelle, it has been a bad year for pests here in NY as well so I can sympathize. Beneficial nematodes seek out and kill all stages of harmful soil-dwelling insects. This can be very effective if you have identified the specific type of flea beetles you’re combating and plant a small area of their favorite food to lure them there, especially if you then destroy them while they’re on the plants. They live underground and feed on the roots and tubers of young plants as well as on germinating seeds. Give the “beneficial” nematodes a try as well. And on his suggestion I used anti-flea poison that was effectively used to suppress these pests in barns, so it was super strong. Some plants, such as catnip or basil, even repel the beetles naturally on their own. Flea beetles can overwinter in the mulch and leaf debris, but they don’t live in the mulch. Wondercide is all natural and doesn’t contain any chemicals. It prefers Solanaceae plants such as potatoes and tomatoes, and is generally found east of the Rocky Mountains in the United States. Nothing is working. Phyllotreta striolata, ‘Striped flea beetle’. Been going on since April and it’s now mid-October. I don’t believe the cat could bring 5-20 per day in the house and that they would all jump of her right there. After a horrid bout with that we have had a flea and flying insect infestation in this home. It’s overwhelming. I found this about a year ago and can’t say enough wonderful things about it. These work to poison the beetles after the spinosad is consumed on the plant matter, so it takes a day or two before the beetles die. No luck either. Note:Flea beetles transmit viral and bacterial diseases. Q: There are flea beetles killing my lawn. I am a friend of the earth which means I really don’t like killing anything that is living as I believe all life is sacred and has a purpose. Once warmer weather comes in the spring, they begin to emerge over the space of a couple weeks. Steinernema carpocapsae is an evolved insect-killing symbiosis with bacteria and kills its hosts within a few days of infection. Frogs and Toads are natural flea predators… Also try natural fossil food grade earth. You can find out more about the steps to use it here Kill Fleas Naturally with Salt. Nor I can find them in any other room in the house and I’ve tried hard. Then continue using this weekly on your pets until you have the flea problem controlled. Powered by. It starts w a D, but I can’t spell. I’m glad you shared your experience with the Diatomaceous Earth. This textured black beetle is strange in appearance, as it looks hairy. (sounds like fun doesn’t it) Try not to breath the stuff in.. Hi, I'm Kevin. With the exception of the tuber flea beetle larvae, which are a risk factor to root crops, most of the larvae are not particularly harmful to plants. Now then; with everything all washed down into the earth, and the yard all cleaned up again: It will now be SAFE to let the pets and children play in the yard free from fleas, ticks, mites, ants, and many others. Target pests include: Fungus Gnat, Mushroom Flies, Fruit Flies, Flea Beetles, Saw Flies, Tachina Flies, Crane Flies, Shore Flies and fruit flies. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc., or its affiliates. In scientific taxonomy, these beetles are all part of the tribe Alticini, which is part of the subfamily Galerucinae of the beetle family Chrysomelidae. Flea larva will eat anything that is organic and they LOVE flea feces. Their eggs are typically laid in cracks in the soil around the base of their food plants. Fleas can live up to 100 days. Salt, DE, and Boratic powders will NOT work if your home or area is humid. Another thing just occurred to me. Sold as Surround WP, you can carefully coat your young plants in this clay to deter insects from munching on them. Most types of flea beetles will produce at least two generations in a year, and in warmer climates, three or more generations are possible. Most adult flea beetles are very small (1/16 –1/8th inch long). Thank you Penny!! These microscopic lifeforms feast on insect larvae, wiping them out quite effectively before they can ever reach adulthood. Broccoli, horseradish, cabbage, radish, kale, turnip, collards, cress, other cruciferous plants, eggplant, potato, tomato, pepper, other members of the Solanaceae family, cotton, grape, pea, peanut, corn, oat, strawberry, pumpkin, and pears. Like the Crucifer flea beetle, the striped flea beetle prefers Brassicaceae plants. Last year two times per week, first I mopped the floors clean and then I applied anti-flea poison, not only to the floors, but every edge and crack that was just a bit suspicious or not at all. I understand that this may seem to be expensive but it is extremely effective and will have a lasting effect if used as a monthly preventative measure after you use it to initially kill all of the ants and fleas in your home. It also has been effective against billbug larvae in Colorado State University trials. Fleas need the humidity because it helps keep their exoskeletons from cracking. While there are a diverse number of species considered flea beetles, thankfully all of them are vulnerable to the same control methods. The “beneficial” nematodes kill off the fleas naturally in our yards, where the fleas like to reproduce and sit waiting for there host, our pets or us if they’re desperate enough.