Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. Protesting injustice, sassing their elders, and sometimes saving the world. This book deeply touched my heart and soul in so many ways. Stewart, Tabori and Chang; Illustrated edition (November 1, 2011), An out of print cookbook about making Classic Bread, Reviewed in the United States on May 5, 2019. The French boulangers welcomed him in and let him bake with them for several days in each regional bakery, the culinary centers for French bread baking. Reviewed in the United States on November 1, 2020. The resulting treasure trove includes such classic regional breads as Petits Pains au Chocolat from Bracieux, Pain de Campagne from the Parisian master baker Poilâne, and Pumpkin-Cornmeal Bread from the French Basque country. Do not worry if you do not have everything listed. To see what your friends thought of this book, Le French Bread: Real-Time Reflections During a Year in Purgatory. Time Travel with These 15 YA Historical Fiction Novels. The Breads of France: And How to Bake Them in Your Own Kitchen, Editors' Picks: The Best Cookbooks of the Month. I like Bernard Clayton's writing style; he's friendly and informative, in addition to providing good recipes. This is my favorite bread book. Very good recipes. For twelve years, he has taught English and coached basketball at the high school level. I've had them go for $45.00 in charity auctions and it was my mother's favorite bread. It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. Reviewed in the United States on October 27, 2016. It's an excellent book. All were available at Amazon.com and were cheaper here than elsewhere on the internet. Please try again. So...pretty much like kids during any other... Jeff has always been a creative soul, a man intent on balancing structure and flight in all facets of his life. So Far, So Good... One of Many to Buy and Keep! An heirloom for grandkids. Le French Bread book. Kids these days! Clear, precise easy-to-follow instructions, beautiful illustrations and delicious recipes that you will want to make over and over again. This book is a treasure trove. Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Reviewed in the United States on April 19, 2019. Jeff LeJeune has a variety of interests, including that as a teacher, a coach, an author, a screenwriter, and a GIS analyst. The best "technical" and reference book about bread baking I met until now (amongst thirty books in my possession). Credited with introducing artisanal French baking to the United States, he has influenced dozens of today’s leading bakers. I make my butter, I have a large brick oven. Learn more about the program. After finishing his undergraduate schooling in Secondary English Education at McNeese State University, he earned a Master’s degree in English at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and a professional certificate in Geographic Information Systems at Michigan State Unive. Please try again. Reviewed in the United States on January 4, 2020. Excellent for the serious baker! The Pane Ordinaire on page 163 is the best French bread I've made so far. This culinary school merged into a bigger educational institute which teaches great classes and gives degrees. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. Reviewed in the United States on November 18, 2019, This makes breadbaking so simple and efficient. Combine these recipes with Ken Forkish's recommendation to use a dutch oven instead of warping your half pans with ice for steam and you will have a great start on making bread. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. Bernard Clayton, Jr. is a great recipe writer. I read and re-read. It is a good read and is a go-to for all from-scratch bakers. Illsurations are very informative.I love it! I buy organic, non gmo, whole grain & have a beautiful mill for grinding grains & nuts. --. The beautiful photos of well-made bread, with dark crusts and irregular holes, will raise the standards of ‘good bread’ for … This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. Start by marking “Le French Bread: Real-Time Reflections During a Year in Purgatory” as Want to Read: Error rating book. She enrolled into this bread program at FCI which graduated some of the outstanding bakers in the country. You will need to find them in the used book section as they are out of print. This is a great book. Not only is he the best recipe writer but this particular book of his is filled with stories of his visits to bakeries in France. So the French Culinary Institute was bought by the International Culinary Institute. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on November 26, 2012. This book is absolutely essential to any serious Baker. If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you grow your business. Reviewed in the United States on July 2, 2013. The real experience - just like what we sampled in France, Reviewed in the United States on October 2, 2005. Despite the few omissions/ editing errors, I can easily "figure out the recipes." Please try again. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. This was not as common at the time his books were published. The book provides comprehensive theory and practice about everything that is bread. Great book. Bread will cook on any pan so if you do not have every special pan they call for you can still make most of these breads. We did invest in several kitchen items after we bought the book, all Matfer Bourgeat: a round lined wicker basket, 2 - 2 baguette French Bread Pans, 2 - 1 lb. While the authors (like many other current bread books) refer to one base methodology – exquisitely detailed at the beginning of the book – they also take care to walk you through each individual recipe with helpful headnotes as opposed to just throwing various formulas at you. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads, Bernard Claytons Complete Book of Small Breads: More Than 100 Recipes for Rolls Buns Biscuits Flatbreads Muffins and Other, The Complete Book of Pastry, Sweet and Savory, The Bread Baker's Apprentice, 15th Anniversary Edition: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread [A Baking Book], Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza [A Cookbook], 100 Cookies: The Baking Book for Every Kitchen, with Classic Cookies, Novel Treats, Brownies, Bars, and More, A beautiful collection of classical and regional breads, with clearly written, well-presented recipes. This book is not for everyone. I laughed. This book is a beautiful addition. I'm sooo in love! by Stripe Creative. We’d love your help. Good book which took my understanding forward. Weight is the best way to insure accuracy & quality. It includes almost all professional information about bread/bakery. This book is both a treasured guide to a deeply held national culinary culture- Clayton becomes a treasured friend in the kitchen. I love seeing grains that I have been using for years featured, as quinoa, spelt, millet. This reminds us of our many times in Burgundy and the wonderful sandwiches we had for lunch each day. After finishing his undergraduate schooling in Secondary English Education at McNeese State University, he earned a Master’s degree in English at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and a professional certificate in Geographic Information Systems at Michigan State University. His style lays out exactly what, how long to expect of the work to make the recipe. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on October 11, 2014, perfect book, great recipes. I'm sooo in love! Love all the great food photography too. Happy Baking! I love weighing ingredients for accuracy as humityn& weather changes etc, greatly effect the performance of flour. While he was able to achieve this balance to some degree as he aged through his twenties, he realized at age thirty-three that the darkness and despair inside him were still very much alive. Wonderful book chock full of interesting recipes and good stories. It is the most raw and real set of stories, and is nothing like anything I have ever read. Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza [A Cookbook], The Bread Baker's Apprentice, 15th Anniversary Edition: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread [A Baking Book], Fundamental Techniques of Classic Cuisine, Tartine Bread (Artisan Bread Cookbook, Best Bread Recipes, Sourdough Book), The Fundamental Techniques of Classic Italian Cuisine, The Fundamental Techniques of Classic Pastry Arts, French Patisserie: Master Recipes and Techniques from the Ferrandi School of Culinary Arts (Langue anglaise). Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Reviewed in the United States on April 12, 2019. It features French, Italian and some American bread that are so common in the Western world. I've used it for 30 years, probably monthly. The resulting treasure trove includes such classic regional breads as Petits Pains au Chocolat … The book is good for both beginners in intermediate bakers and is about master baker Peter Reinhart, who in turn goes to learn from the French master bakers their tricks and methods while teaching pastry students in a culinary college. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. Clayton’s recipes are written in a unique step-by-step style—instructions lucid and complete, questions anticipated and answered—that evolved from his experiences teaching bread-baking classes. June 6th 2017 Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Jeff laid it all out there...his own personal hell...nothing held back. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. Reviewed in the United States on March 27, 2013. An instant classic upon publication in 1978, THE BREADS OF FRANCE introduced American bakers to the pleasures of French artisanal breads. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.