Do your students struggle with being creative? Let’s look at the word creativity. This site includes a free, printable download and activity and resource suggestions. Need more hands-on learning ideas? Pythagorean Theorem Lego Proof – Help students visualize the Pythagorean Theorem using LEGO bricks. It might have looked something like this: Your students are engaged in discussion, they’re excited to see all the artwork shown, they’re asking wonderful questions. Write sentences on the board that the various action verbs could fit into, but leave blanks where they go. Action Verbs is simple activity that will help students learn and participate in the writing process. 100+ Living Math Activities & Link-Up – Activities are broken down by grade level and include those for middle school and high school. Jackson Pollock Inspired Abstract Art – Experiment with splatter and drip painting. I do want to include on caveat – not all of these activities are specifically geared toward older students. Learning Summer Constellations – Do you and your kids love constellations as much as I do? Crossword Puzzles. Includes a free printable. For more on middle school boys and the writing conundrum, check out my guest post on the same topic at Year Round Homeschooling. When it comes to middle and high school English class, though, ideas for hands-on learning may not come as easily. Atomic Cookie Skillet Model – The best hands-on activities for kids are the edible ones and this atom model is no exception! Left and Right Brain Drawing Activities How to Make an Edible Cell Model – This was probably one of the most fun projects we’ve ever done. Utilizing games as strategy in teaching a lesson is an effective way to grab and sustain your students’ attention. We can do this by exposing our students to activities that promote creative and divergent thinking. Capitalize on that with these great study tips and activity ideas. 13 Colonies Map Puzzle Activity – You’ll find the directions for making your own 13 Colonies puzzle map at the end of this post. The Phantom Tollbooth Activities – Journey through The Phantom Tollbooth with these activities. This game is simple to set up, but knowing the answers may prove to be more difficult. Some can be used for all ages too. Stereotype-smashing humor for homeschooling families. How to Solve Algebra Equations: Step by Step Instructions, Elementary Open House Ideas: Tips for Hosting a Successful Open House for Grade School. Thank you, Kris! 5 Fresh Classroom Management Ideas to Reengage & R... Five Engaging ESL Games for Middle School. How to Make a Salt Dough Map – Salt dough maps are a family favorite and easily adaptable to a wide student age-range. Mary Cassatt Hats – Make paper mache hats as you learn about American artist, Mary Cassatt. This is a good activity to help students recall the topics and concepts, as well as the correct spelling of words that are the answers to each item in the puzzle. These games provide more opportunities for the students to practice the skills they have learned. you're all signed in. Greek Mythology Character Cubes – Illustrate Greek myths with this 3-D display. Testing The Properties Of Water – Experiments for learning about surface tension and cohesion. I liked so much all these activities. Collective Noun Trivia. Drawing with a material attached to the end of a ruler or long stick. However, it is a skill that can be taught. Aluminum Foil Stained Glass Art – Recreate any picture using aluminum foil and Sharpie markers. 518 Main Street, Suite A Thanks alot. Certain subject areas and grades might seem more conducive to creating hands-on experiences. Creativity can be viewed in this same way. Athletes aren’t born to be professional athletes; it takes discipline and practice. Utilizing design challenges is an apparent way to show students how different solutions can be used to solve one problem. Create a Biographical Trailer – Use iMovie or another tool to create a trailer about a historical biography. Middle school boys are darling. Before they begin, I show students an example I’ve made using another novel they’ve read. Although these activities engage students and appeal to their love of art and play, it doesn’t really matter what students create. After arranging the strips of paper, they have to rewrite the story on a separate paper with careful attention to punctuation and capitalization, and read it to the class for evaluation. Shakespeare Activities – Thirty hands-on activities for a variety of the Bard’s works. Students in the writer’s classroom get to stretch their creative muscles—and have a little fun. Let’s stop looking at creativity as a noun and instead think of it as a verb. Almost every art teacher is familiar with the work by Betty Edwards, in particular, her book, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. You can do it any time in the course of studying a book, as long as enough major characters have been introduced—I usually use it in the middle of a unit. Copyright © 2020 Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers | All Rights Reserved. "A prickle of hedgehogs lives in this area." The workload can get a little intense when middle school rolls around, but you can keep your kids motivated with our wide array of hands-on activities that provide a fun break from the routine. This is an amazing resource! So, check out this idea for a change of pace. Three of them should sit in a … Around the World in 80 Days Activities – These free printables are geared to younger students, but there are lots of great activities to do with tweens and teens. I would love to find some new ones!! Self Portrait Collage – Some an art projects should require endurance… one that will have to be completed in several steps over time. Help Center, 5 Activities to Open Your Middle Schoolers’ Creative Brains, A Design Challenge for Environmentally Conscious Art Teachers, 3 Awesome Art Challenges for the First Week of School, 3 Art Challenges That Are Perfect for the End of the Year, Why You Should Incorporate Art Challenges in Your Room This School Year, A Winning Game for the First Day of School. M&M Math – M&Ms are more than just counters for young children learning basic math. Squishy Science Experiment With Warblettes – What are Warblettes, you ask? I know you and your students will love these 5 ESL games for middle school students! These are key components to ensure our students don’t get stuck and can continue innovating to solve problems. Continue this process until time runs out or each student has made it around the room. This color mixing game is the best way for students to engage in play while learning new concepts. Storytelling activity: Bring four students to the front of the classroom. Functioning Heart Model – This is a cool project that uses household items to make a functioning heart model. Making an Edible Map – This edible map tutorial uses cookie dough as the base with icing to represent lakes. Polishing Pennies Experiment – Learn about oxidation. The activities in her book have continued to work in classrooms for decades. History Quest: Civil War Uniforms – A tutorial for creating an authentic-looking Civil War uniform. How to Use Current Events in Your Homeschool – Current events can provide a springboard for some great hands-on learning. Your email address will not be published. I recently used playdough for a variation on the Theme Sculptures activity. Divide the class into two or more teams and write an unusual collective noun on the board. You can also try your hand at replicating some of his inventions with the resource, Amazing Ben Franklin Inventions You Can Build Yourself. Sharpen your students’ logic and word skills by presenting word puzzles for them to solve. Includes free printable. Electives A Nature Study Photography Project for Any Age – Photography makes a fantastic high school elective, so use these tips to combine it with nature study. Find and save ideas about middle school english on Pinterest. Researcher Dr. George Land conducted a creativity test that showed creativity was highest in young children and steadily decreased into adulthood. Middle school boys are fantastic writers – and engaging them in hands-on writing activities is an adventure all its own. Then, instruct them to underline all the affixes and to write the meaning of each word. Cut up coloring pages work great for this. I was so encouraged by the results of this activity that I have since used it whenever my students are having a hard time nailing down a concept. Beginner Sewing Projects & Project Resources – This would make a great addition to a home ec course. The value comes from putting their ideas into words and the discussions that result. I hope this blog post gave you some new ideas for your ESL classroom! Keeping your students' attention focused on reading is often difficult. If you do not have an AOE account, create one now. 3 Hands-on Activities for Middle and High School English Character Shapes Collage: This activity helps students think critically about characters and their relationships. Each team must guess what object the noun relates to. It’s definitely one of the most popular on the blog. Hands-on Geometry – Math is always more meaningful when kids can see real-life applications, so try these hands-on geometry ideas. Abby is a middle school art teacher in Omaha, NE. The Secret Garden Activities – These fun learning activities will help bring The Secret Garden to life. Hands-on Genetics Study for Kids – An excellent resource for studying Gregor Mendel, the Father of Genetics. Volcano in a Cup – There are many great hands-on volcano activities other than the traditional baking-soda-and-vinegar stand-by.