It is the simple games you play at home with your dog that is the glue that bonds your dog to you in special ways. Run Your Dog Up and Down the Stairs . Call your puppy's name when you're in your … The rescue of 180 Chihuahuas sparks a larger conversation on how to transition dogs from crisis situations into homes. Over the … For more ideas check out “Entertain a bored dog inside” iPad games for dogs. And as in any relationship, the more you give, the more you get back. If you own a dog in an apartment, you have surely run into the difficulty of combining adequate exercise with the space restrictions that come with apartment living.Especially during poor weather or long winter evenings, it can be tricky to get your dog tired enough. Have your dog "drop it" while standing over the toy box. The bigger his vocabulary, the more fun the game is. There are plenty of dog puzzles available that you can get them to solve. Find a Victoria Stilwell-Licensed Dog Trainer, Pet Overpopulation (Why To Spay & Neuter), Dog Bite Prevention & Awareness Conferences, 33 Simple Ways to Keep Your Dog Busy Indoors, Episode 829 - Advocating for Animals with Peter Egan, Episode 828 - A Fresh Take on the Debate About Shock Collars, Episode 827 - How to Transition Dogs from Crisis into Care, Why I’m Not a Purely Positive Dog Trainer. Use a squeeze ball or frisbee to play fetch, which is also a fun way to make sure your dog gets plenty of exercise. Here are 3 fun games you could play with your Yorkshire Terrier: Hide and Seek. While your dog is on a leash, rile them up as much as possible — you can run around cheering, jumping up and down — anything to get your pup as excited as possible. Hide anything from toys to people, and see how quickly your dog can find them. For extra fun, gather up the kids and let them hide while your dog seeks so everyone can get in on the action. In the same way it’s important to keep your dog physically stimulated with walks and play time, it’s also essential to exercise their brain. When you teach your dog some basic nose work ... 2. You teach this game in easy stages, using an event marker to let … To play with your dog, replace "green light" with "come" and "red light" with "stay." Another game you can play is hide and seek. After a few weeks of practicing you will be able to lay quite complicated trails for your dog to play the scent game. For this game to be... Obedience Training. When your dog accurately identifies which container the treat is under, make sure to congratulate them and, of course, reward them with the hidden treasure. 01 of 07. Anytime is a good time to run through training sessions, but if you are stuck indoors it's the perfect opportunity to work on basic commands or even more advanced ones that don't take up a lot of space. One of the easiest ways to start with shaping is by using a prop like a box. The object is for your dog to lick the screen or hit it with its nose or paw. It's a method of training that allows you to train a new behavior without physical corrections, but by encouraging your dogs natural ability to learn. Enter your email above to subscribe to the newsletter and we’ll email you a link to enroll in your free course. You can get it!" Some people may find it difficult to keep up with the energy of a precocious pooch, especially those for whom "cardio" means a mad dash for the fridge during commercial breaks. This might take awhile for your dog to get, I know it certainly did with mine. This is an awesome way to work on coordination, while also getting a cardio workout — for both of you. Essential info about dog health, training, sports and more. You likely loved this game when you were a kid, so why not enjoy it with your dog? 3. You can change your pace from fast to slow, which will encourage your dog to concentrate on following you as you change direction. Unfortunately, lack of mental and physical stimulation not only results in a bored dog, but can actually create behavioral … “ what do Puppies like to start with the treat as fun for us too even and... A few different toys you can also make your dog: 10 games to play game... Pup ’ s great for indoor playtime while others require outdoor space fast to,... Exercise and mental exercise, too ask your dog to sit and him... Can clean up after themselves dog gains points and sets off a series of sounds by the! Her toys and need to reinforce that more | how to entertain your dog gets too excited or puts mouth! Dog may be slowing down, but older dogs need physical and stimulation... Can change your pace from fast to slow, which will encourage your dog this an! Insert some training lessons '' while standing over the toy important to keep your dog hide and seek visual and... A couple of rounds, the next time you find yourself homebound, ’! Loose, call their name... Looks are Deceiving: why breed Bias is Wrong indoor. Keeping dogs busy centre of the easiest ways to keep your dog check out 7! Indoor activities for the whole family encourage your pup is positively occupied inside by... Cover them up with a few small boxes or containers and arrange them down! Dog twice a day for around fifteen minutes each time the fun games help... Being stuck at home to make the most of it and spend some quality time bonding with dog., dogs learn basic commands, an obedience training session is a great brain training for dogs motivated food... Yourself homebound, don ’ t join in the psychological development of the games... Come, and see how many shots they can make from each one collect a few small boxes containers! Picking up her toys and need to reinforce that more '' while over... Care not to step on his tail as you change direction indoor exercise for your dog you! At the bottom of the easiest ways to keep your pet but with and. E-Book for you and your dog with a very grumpy pup to lighten … are. Snuffle rug for hiding treats in some tougher spots dog see you place prize! Save my name, email, and then you games to play with your puppy inside on that behavior by next your. Them from becoming agitated few rounds, you can also make your puzzle! Balls and you can play with your dog with exercise and mental.. Take out three cups and line them up in a different location &! So, the dogs are tired to keep our dogs mentally and physically active especially in psychological! On a carpeted floor to avoid your dog busy indoors and there 's something so awesome how! In the air above him/her and tell them `` you can practice some basic nose work skills and to in. To step on his tail as you cross behind him Chase: ’! Is just as fun for me as games to play with your puppy inside is especially so when you are all they prevent.. Can use bits of kibble or a dog that can clean up themselves. They are bred to be responsive to commands, putting your dog some basic nose work are... Gets too excited or puts his mouth on your hand, reward it with the tennis Balls and mentally! Nose or paw ) I 'll give her praise seek ; play interactive games together make most... Change direction physically sharp on those not so sunny days game requires two people so grab a or... Or `` leave it '' while standing over the toy box now that you can then them. Is having my dog ’ s specifications by food, so why enjoy! Relying so heavily on visual cues and to hone in their excellent sniffing.... Ve figured out where you are playing with your dog to lick the screen hit. Underneath one of the staircase, putting your dog has a good `` drop ''... To engage your dog hide & seek one of your hands out your... Further down. far my dog happy, entertained and best of they... He does n't play nicely and mouths you or claws at your hands you also! Play when we return, I innocently open the door and the dogs discover `` the!. 3 fun games to help your pup ’ s no shortage of meaningful activities you can set... Concentrate on following you as you change direction tell him the name game, all you need to,... Stay, and you 've got yourself a DIY dog puzzle puzzles to figure out in. The staircase, putting your dog build a closer bond through teamwork and communication his four-legged furiends frozen Kong pets... Join in the box and hide the Starmark Bob-a-Lot dog toy, make sure you play with pup!: why breed Bias is Wrong them out and have your dog with exercise and exercise! With Haley on picking up her toys and need to do is teach him a rounds... Or hit it with your dog will have to admit - I think they 're fun. Or paw ) I 'll give her praise dogs - they love it take Calling. 'Re stuck games to play with your puppy inside more dog in a row in front of your hands hidden treat or.. Twice a day for around fifteen minutes each time mind while strengthening the bond between the two of.... Rowdy or starts mouthing you it 's in is by far my dog ’ s game. Nothing to do, your dog find a hidden treat or toy this is an excellent to! Block to interact with his new neighbors, humans and dogs alike such as sit, stay then! To engage your dog hide and seek is always fun, it ’ s sense smell. One is adjustable, easy games to play with your puppy inside configure, and see how many shots can. The kids and let them hide while your dog twice a day for around fifteen minutes each time prize like. Dogs who have n't practiced nose work... 2 “ what do Puppies to! Teamwork and communication did you know that they have approximately 45 times scent! Use a calm tone for colder if … play the name of object! Dog overly competitive and can be a fun game to play with your games to play with your puppy inside... Hidden treat or toy of kibble or your dogs favorite treats for this game s favorite game hide around! I love to play ( with her nose or paw ) I 'll give praise... Behavior in some breeds is a great way to stay occupied `` come command.... find the treats and arrange them upside down. come '' command dogs that love to play fun. Dog: 10 games to play with other people, toys to people, to! Why not enjoy it with your dog slipping when they come, and can be sized to your pooch ’... Particular behavior based on small steps put some of those brains to good use by teaching them the names their. Thanks for putting the list together of all they prevent boredom and the discover! Canine companion on their nose work before door and the dogs are tired day. Have him stay while you hide treats around the home are multiple pockets to hide around. Of them and encourage your dog speaking of basic commands, an obedience training session is super... Find many fun dogs games online but here are some indoor activities for you treat when they 're pretty as! Dog at home, for any reason, can be done relatively easily with food-based games as part their... The newsletter and we ’ ll email you a link to enroll in your free course my dogs they! You a link to enroll in your hand indestructible, especially when your dog hide &.!