To be like the apple of every lesbian mother’s eye,” she says. SAGE Publications. The film premiered in Australia at the Sydney Film Festival in June 2015 and was released theatrically on 3 September 2015. rights reserved. Correction – June 15, 2017: This article was edited from a previous version that misstated Sadie Epstein-Fine’s surname in one instance. Others before her may have had to side-step questions about their parents, or pretend they were being raised by a dad and an uncle, for instance. “We were kind of the normalizing generation,” says Toronto’s Sadie Epstein-Fine, 25, of her upbringing as the daughter of two moms during the beginning of the gayby boom. Tel: 800-818-7243; Tel: 805-499-9774; Fax: 800-583-2665; e-mail: [email protected]; Web site: http://sagepub.com. “Normal in a family actually means imperfections,” Newell says. “I wouldn’t trade it for anything, even though sometimes the homophobia of society made me feel like, ‘why can’t I just be normal?’, “It’s society’s problem. Gayby Baby is a 2015 Australian documentary film directed by Maya Newell that follows four children raised by same-sex parents. The film's funding was raised through a crowdfunding campaign and government grants. They were interested in empowering participants to have a real say in the film. Gayby Baby was selected for GoodPitch² Australia 2014, premiered at Hot Docs, screened at London BFI, Doc Leipzig, Doc NYC, is on Netflix US and reached No. Much of our conversation on same-sex families focuses on the grown-ups, and it’s easy to see why. Jump to: Distributors (5) | Other Companies (3) Distributors ... Ryan Bruce Levey Film Distribution and PR Services (2016) (USA) (theatrical) Other Companies. Gayby Baby follows four children from different sex-same couples, offering an intimate account of the kids and their families. “I had a really amazing childhood in terms of my family life,” she says. Mark Powell, a Presbyterian minister who gives seminars on Christianity at the school, told supporters he would organise to have the film banned and to contact as many media outlets as possible. “I didn’t really come out about my family until I was about 15.”, But her hesitation to share her story at school had little reflection on her experience at home. This developing interest amplifies the ethical issues involved in representational work and raises new questions concerning the implications of subject participation in the development of resources that aim to improve health and well-being in broad political terms. Our families do all of the perfect things that a family on TV would do.’ ”. Supergravity and Heard Well partner on Gayby Baby The documentary film will see a brief theatrical run in 50 cities before heading to VOD on May 1, in time for International Family Equality Day. The film was acquired for theatrical and digital distribution in the US, UK and Ireland with a release date of April 29, 2016. Amin: The Rise and Fall (1981)   |   Heroman (TV Series 2010– )   |   Desert Walker: Gulf to Gulf (1985)   |   The Coldest Game (2019)   |   The Crimson Permanent Assurance (1983)   |   Lilia Laurel   |   Harya Suraminata. Gayby Baby is a 2015 Australian documentary film directed by Maya Newell that follows four children raised by same-sex parents. GAYBY BABY follows the lives of four kids - Gus, Ebony, Matt and Graham - whose parents all happen to be gay. Newspapers Limited, One Yonge Street, 4th floor, Toronto, ON, M5E 1E6. Showing all 8 company credits. Ethical frameworks of care need to be recalibrated in line with the issues foregrounded by burgeoning social impact agendas. These understandings and dialogic processes are important if participants are to have a real say in how they are represented. Background: Real life stories can enable audiences to empathise with the experiences of marginalised groups and communities and are extremely powerful tools in struggles for equality. “And I was like, ‘Hey wait! Newell approached one of the families and asked them to appear in the film after seeing a photograph of them in a newspaper. For me it was more like me and maybe one other person in the school.”, The early “gaybies” were also a closely watched group, a phenomenon that leads to what the film’s director Newell refers to as “poster child syndrome.”, “For a long time our families have had to stand up in the face of discrimination and defend ourselves and say, ‘We’re the same as you, we’re normal. expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Toronto The world premiere of Gayby Baby was held on 29 April 2015 at the Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival in Toronto. In the US it received a PG rating from the MPAA and in the UK at PG rating from the BBFC. A still from documentary film Gayby Baby WHO would have thought that a simple documentary, which was made using crowd funding, would cause so much controversy. In May 2016 it was reported that the Victorian Government-supported Safe Schools Coalition Australia program will include Gayby Baby as a resource for students in grade five to year 10. “There’s a stereotype that queer parents raise queer kids and that was a huge part of the counter argument,” Epstein-Fine recalls. The film’s director, Australian Maya Newell, was born in the late 1980s into a family with two moms. In many parts of the world, queer couples have to struggle even for the right to become parents. Gayby Baby was produced over three and a half years. Toronto Star articles, please go to: www.TorontoStarReprints.com, The Toronto Star and thestar.com, each property of Toronto Star Synopsis Gayby Baby observes the lives of four children—Gus, Ebony, Matt and Graham—whose parents are either gay or lesbian, and explores the ways in which growing up as a "gayby" has affected them. “It means your parents yell at each other sometimes and that sometimes you get let down. Gayby Baby (2015) Company Credits. Housing crunch is the bane of the LGBT community: Teitel, New Ontario act ensures same-sex parents don’t have to adopt their own kids, The Universal Family project showcases modern family life. Initially, film director Maya Newell offered Gayby Baby to be screened in schools ahead of the film's official release for Wear it Purple Day 2015. The young men and women in their 20s and early 30s now are the first generation who were out about having same-sex parents. Brandie Weikle is a parenting expert and the host of The New Family Podcast and editor ofthenewfamily.com, Copyright owned or licensed by Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. In 2014, Gayby Baby secured $180,000 in outreach support; earlier this year two other Good Pitch-assisted films reached cinemas: anti-CSG doco Frackman and … Process: In 2011, Maya Newell and Charlotte Mars began to develop an observational feature documentary Gayby Baby (2015) focused on same-sex families, for the first time revealing the child's perspective on debates concerning Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, …