You're able to attach the knife multiple ways I had it on my bug out bag for awhile attached with paracord. Both Gerber Prodigy and Gerber LMF II are popular choices for a survival knife. Nice balance and weight. But you might be familiar with the name Gerber Prodigy Survival Knife. ­ All Rights Reserved. The partially serrated blade towards the handle is awesome since it dramatically reduces any time you spend cutting and chopping, and to protect against corrosion it sports a carbon coating. Actually that’s not my point. The butt end of the handle also features a pommel, which is great for bashing and smashing things when the need arises. Both Gerber Prodigy and Gerber LMF II are made of the same materials. I’m not a massive fan of the saber grind on the blade because it makes the bevel too wide and stopped me from creating a really fine edge on the knife when sharpening it. The blade also came from the factory with a beautifully, symmetrically ground and very sharp edge! Overall I love the options that the Gerber Prodigy sheath gives you. I own and have used both, and routinely have two brand-new Strongarms, 1 Coyote and 1 Black, on my table at the beginning of each gun show. Look, Gerber’s Prodigy Knife is, on the one hand a survival and military styled knife that’s packed with useful features but priced for the entry-level user. I didn't find any flaws. Perhaps a few too many, but is 55 really such a big number? The handle also offers great grip in any weather conditions because of the over-molded rubber they use on it. Because of the increased dimensions, this model is not very portable. The separation of the striking pommel prevents the transmission of electrical shocks. Your email address will not be published. Comparison of Gerber StrongArm vs GerberGear Prodigy (22-41121) Hunting Knives. Features We recently put up a post going over some of the best EDC folding knives and I thought it would be a good idea to cover a great fixed blade knife as well. It mounts perfectly with the molle system and has put up with some serious abuse. Comparison- Morakniv vs. Gerber StrongArm. Both are equipped with glass-filled rubber-overmold nylon handles. Thus, the Gerber Prodigy Survival Knife is made up of exactly that. Design cues for the new Prodigy were inspired by the award-winning LMF II, another knife engineered by Gerber's Jeff Freeman. It also has excellent edge retention and sharpness. Although this survival knife is relatively larger compared to some other models in the market, you can still carry it around easily. I took it out for somewhat of a test drive not long ago and used it to baton some wood and it held up great, it has a thick spine and a little weight to it which helps it excel in this area. I’ve got a few okay. Very good weight and feels good in your hand. The glaring difference is the style of the cutting edge. It has a great blade, handle and sheath so let's see what all the Gerber Prodigy knife has to offer in this review. The larger size makes it suitable for heavier tasks, and it has a pair of lashing holes which may come up handy when needed. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME. Required fields are marked *. Please be advised that the operator of this site accepts advertising compensation from certain companies that appear on the site, and such compensation impacts the location and order in which the companies (and/or their products) are presented, and in some cases may also impact the scoring that is assigned to them. Gerber seems to have knocked it out of the park with their Prodigy survival type knife. I want you to keep emergency prep in mind in order to totally understand why I’m writing this Gerber Prodigy Review. Both the blades of Gerber StrongArm and Gerber Prodigy are equipped with a black oxide coating to protect them against moisture and stains. I was happy with the military quality, ballistic nylon sheath that easily gets attached to just about anything. The handle is very solid. ). Although not exactly the same as the Prodigy, the Strongarm keeps all of the same features, comes in fine edge or partially serrated, and comes with a sheath that appears to allow horizontal carry as well as MOLLE and standard vertical belt carry. Despite BF's general antipathy towards Gerber's products, one model, the Prodigy, seems to be one of the few knives Gerber makes that. On the other hand, the length of Gerber Prodigy’s blade is slightly shorter at 4.75 inches. Each of the two knives comes with a sheath. I'm a fan of the Prodigy, even with its serrations, so I'll probably end up owning one of these too. Pretty much, for me at least it's too little too late... My first two Gerbers were from my dad that he sent me for my birthday a few years back. The Gerber Prodigy is the descendant of the LMF II which was also designed by Jeff Freeman of Gerber. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS IN THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. 3 years ago. I mean anything be it a belt, a pack, my ankle or a MOLLE vest. The molded handle is covered with a nice and grippy rubber to ensure I always have a slip-free grip, even when things get wet and wild. Search. The blade of the Gerber Prodigy comes in two forms tanto style and a drop point style I'll be covering the drop point style because it is the one that I own. Wusthof Classic Ikon Review: How Is It Different From Wusthof Classic? It has a little texture to it as well from the little bumps across it but I feel like those will wear away over time, I could be wrong though. Both look great I chose to get the coyote tan which is normally a little pricier than the black but I found it for the same price and decided to get it. The grip/handle is excellent! The Gerber Prodigy knife is possibly one of the best prepper knives on the market. What I want to talk about today is one of my all-star pieces that are always close at hand. Conclusion - Purposeful break between the tang and the butt cap, providing insulated protection against stray wires and absorbing any shock from hammering. It has a total length of 9.75 inches, and the weight is only about 7.21 oz if without equipping the sheath. Which I can understand and I'm not entirely sure why they don't offer this knife without the serration, nonetheless the Gerber Prodigy has a great blade. Bear Grylls Gerber Knife – The Ultimate Survival Knife Or Not? The Gerber Prodigy Review – It Might Just Be The Ultimate Survival... https://asharpslice.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Gerber-Prodigy-Survival-Knife-Serrated-Edge-Black.jpg, https://asharpslice.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/ASS-logo-350-300x106-1-300x106.png, The Gerber Prodigy Review - It Might Just Be the Ultimate Survival Knife. Soldier Systems reported today that Gerber is preparing to release the Strongarm. The Gerber Prodigy also features a spike pommel that can be used to strike an opponent or break glass and a hole is made for a lanyard option as well. Another great feature of this great bushcraft knife is the sheath. This is generally a more comfortable design to hold. The blade is very tough & thick. Required fields are marked *. One the other hand its kind underrated and its worth heavily questioned thanks to tarnished names like the original 2011 Bear Grylls Gerber Knife. Gerber Prodigy is a full-tang knife, which means that the whole knife is made of one solid piece. Gerber has made it's way into the mix with the Prodigy I believe. - Textured over-molded soft-grip ensures a secure grip. Perhaps one of the biggest differences between Gerber Prodigy and Gerber LMF II is the dimensions. Your email address will not be published. Extremely comfortable in the hand and promotes confidence. They're even naming thier steel now? Gerber Prodigy Survival Knife Review – Durability. - Rubberized diamond-texture handle for unshakeable grip Aug 31, 2019 - in this article We have Tried to Capare Between Gerber Prodigy vs StrongArm, no doubt both of them are Fantastic Knife for any kind of Survival Situation. High quality steel, ergonomic handle, MOLLE compatible kydex sheath. So let me get to the point then. They are made of high-quality materials that ensure superior performance. The handle design is also more comfortable to hold. And yes, you can get the Strongarm … This is not a dramatic difference whatsoever. Gerber is now known as one of the best manufacturers of knives and multi-tools. Soldier Systems reported today that Gerber is preparing to release the Strongarm. On the other hand, Gerber Prodigy comes with a partially serrated edge, which is better for specific purposes. This knife has great reviews on both Amazon and Gerber's website and offers great features making it one of the best prepper knives out there. The separation is meant to prevent the transmission of electrical shocks. Their blades have very good edge retention, which means that they can be made very sharp and they will maintain their sharpness for long. The MOLLE-compatible multi-mount sheath system offers optimal customization, keeping your knife ever at the ready in combat situations. I want you to keep emergency prep in mind in order to totally understand why I’m writing this Gerber Prodigy Review. The sheath of the Gerber Prodigy is durable and able to take a beating for sure. This is a great knife for anyone looking to get high use out of a knife in the field. You can use the knife for both survival and fun. Well I’ve got some great info on kydex knife sheaths, all you need to know about the blizetec survival fixed blade knife, my thoughts on the tops knives wild pig hunter and a guide to the Best Military Pocket Knives coming right up so don’t go anywhere! If that "under $75" price point is expected street price rather than MSRP, I'll wait for a sale, if for no other reason than a knife needs to be pretty remarkable in my eyes before I even crack the $50 mark these days. It has been through a rough time everywhere and nothing seems to dull the blade. More info, Copyright © 2020 www.bestadvisor.com. It is contoured well enough to fit most hands and provides enough grip to prevent slippage. Hopefully this article gives you some information about the Gerber Prodigy and helps you make your choice for finding one of the best prepper knives on the market. The Gerber Prodigy is one of the best knives I own; it’s solid and offers amazing features for its laughably affordable price. In the following article, though, we will focus our discussion on two particular Gerber knives, which are Gerber StrongArm and Gerber Prodigy. Strong blade, with a good thick spine. Jun 11, 2017 #1 I'd like general opinions on which is a better overall choice for utility and bushcraft- the Morakniv Bushcraft Black or the Gerber StrongArm. Gerber’s knives are known for the great quality and design. This Gerber Prodigy vs StrongArm comparison revealed that both knives are designed with a lot of focus on quality. The blade, and the grind, is straight. The Gerber Prodigy knife has an overall length of 9.75 inches and has a full tang, so its a pretty beefy knife and allows you to gather firewood and clean game pretty easily. This model is also highly durable. Your email address will not be published. In addition, Gerber LMF II has a pair of lashing holes, which enables you to transform the knife into a spear.