Wow! I am not sure that converting it to a white cake would work. Those three items right there are my favorites for cake and cupcake decorating. Add the next layer, trim and frost with one third of the filling, then add the third layer. After the mixture begins to boil and thicken, remove from the heat and stir in the toasted coconut, regular coconut, and pecans. Remove the coconut frosting from the fridge and stir in the pecans. MAKE THE GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE LAYERS: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter three 8-inch cake pans, line the bottoms with parchment paper, and butter the parchment. Stir in cocoa powder. Not only does cocoa powder add to the dry ingredients, but it contains fat that would be hard to replace. Browse more than 20 classic recipes and variations of German's chocolate cake. Pour boiling water into the bowl of cocoa powder and chocolate, cover the bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. I have found that German Chocolate cake tastes best when it is stored in the fridge. In a medium saucepan add brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter, egg yolks, and evaporated milk. Smooth chocolate frosting over the entire cake. MAKE THE COCONUT PECAN FILLING: Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Stack the second cake round on top. Divide the batter evenly amongst the two pans. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I used a wilton 2D tip for the swirls on top of this cake. In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, whisk the egg yolks and evaporated milk. Cool 5 minutes in the pan and then invert onto wire racks to cool completely. Remove the cakes from the pans (discard the parchment) and let cool completely on wire rack. Privacy policy / Terms & Conditions. Welcome to this delicious corner of the internet! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Remove cake pans from the oven and place on a wire rack for 10 minutes. This will allow them to come to room temperature and they will be easier to frost. Add the chocolate mixture, and beat again (about 30-45 seconds). Pour boiling water into the bowl of cocoa powder and chocolate, cover the bowl and let sit for 5 minutes. Both frostings (coconut and chocolate) can be made ahead and placed in a covered container in the fridge. Unfortunately, that may have been a tad overboard for most of you. Everyone loved it! Stir constantly … Set aside. In a second small bowl combine the cocoa powder and chopped chocolate. In a second bowl combine the Dutch process cocoa powder and chopped chocolate. I’m Lauren, a mom of four and lover of good food. Whisk 4 egg yolks and 1 can of evaporated milk in a medium sized saucepan. (The mixture will slightly thicken). Dust with flour, and knock out the excess flour. I’ve made it 3 x now and love it every time. baking soda, caster sugar, eggs, rum, chocolate, vanilla extract and 6 … Stir in vanilla. published on June 26, 2019 Bake for 25 - 35 minutes (depending on your cake pan size. This will allow them to come to room temperature and they will be easier to frost. Stick the buttermilk in the microwave for just a few seconds. Remove them from the fridge about an hour or so before you're ready to frost your cake. Coconut pecan frosting, to be exact. I tried baking it a few minutes more, and didn’t seem to make a difference and don’t want to risk making it dry by baking it much longer.