This recipe is great! German Chocolate Cake has … Place 1 cup evaporated milk, 1 cup sugar, 3 egg yolks, 1/2 cup diced, unsalted butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract into a saucepan. - Mandy, recipe, best, easy, ideas, recipe, chocolate, german, coconut, sheet cake, cake, sour cream, cake mix, pecans, german chocolate icing. It cooks up perfectly! It's not really that pretty, but hey, there was no Instagram back in the '50s and '60s. Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes. 4 ounces Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate. With an electric mixer using a paddle attachment, beat until the frosting is thick enough to spread. But thanks for stopping by to spread a little Oklahoma sunshine! Combine sweetened condensed milk, coconut, and pecans; spread over warm cake. All rights reserved. Reduce heat to medium-low then boil mixture for 15-20 minutes or until a light caramel color and thickened; stirring occasionally. No forks or spoons required, just easy-to-pick-up party foods, so you can clean up in no time. White combined what she thought were the best elements of each recipe into one modernized version, which we've included below. Continue mixing and add the egg yolks to the shortening mixture one at a time. Plano recipe developer and frequent Dallas Morning News contributor Rebecca White tested the original recipe for us, in addition to the recipe we ran in '63 from the Johnson City ranch, which was slightly different. It may surprise you to learn that German Chocolate Cake is not actually German. What does cream mean? The first thing she noticed about the recipes were the limited instructions, which leads us to think that home cooks of the '50s were a bit more skilled in the kitchen. I'm thinking of trying a chocolate sheet cake recipe I have with this icing. When do I add the egg yolks and melted chocolate? Broil, on lowest rack in oven, about 2 minutes or until golden. guess i'll keep looking. Offers may be subject to change without notice. Remove from heat then stir in vanilla, coconut and pecans. Like homemade fudge... Before the use of marshmallow fluff. White liked the shortening flavor and texture better. Remove cake from oven then prepare icing. i don't know where in the south you're from, but in oklahoma, a 9 x 13 is NOT a sheet cake. To store, cover and set at room temperature – cake does not need to be refrigerated. Nutrition Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 12 minutes. I let it cool longer than 5 minutes 'cause I was sweeping floors and working on spaghetti dinner..time got away from me! Remove from oven and cool. 2. In 1963, according to a story in The Dallas Morning News, even President Lyndon B. Johnson served the cake at his Johnson City ranch for a luncheon with German Chancellor Ludwig Erhard. This was amazing! The German Chocolate Cake is not actually German, it's Texan, Southwest Airlines is burning through less cash but warns of another slump in recovery, Dallas County at ‘very dangerous point,’ Jenkins says in announcement of 1,304 new coronavirus cases. The frosting will set up fine. Spray a 10x15 or 13x9 baking pan with cooking spray; set aside. Mrs. George Clay of Southeast Dallas submitted her recipe to the food pages of our newspaper -- Julie Benell's Recipe of the Day column -- using Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate, which still exists today. Whether you're cooking for yourself or for a family, these easy dinners are sure to leave everyone satisfied and stress-free. (It's now owned by Kraft). could someone use condensed milk instead of evaporated milk and sugar? Ingredients. Copyright © 2020 The Dallas Morning News. https://www.southyourmouth.com/2014/03/german-chocolate-sheet-cake.html Your cake looks absolutely amazing, but when I've baked German Chocolate Cakes in the past I've always used eggs yolks for the icing to help thicken the icing. —Christopher Wynn, Erin Booke, Food and Entertainment Editor. Could I use a glass dish that's 9 x 13? Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter. Beat margarine and next 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended; gradually add fat-free milk, beating until smooth. Bake cake for 18-20 minutes for a 10x15 pan or 24-26 minutes for 13x9 or until set and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Info. LOVE this icing!!! It's usually three layers (sometimes two) of chocolate cake made with melted sweetened chocolate and buttermilk,  topped with a custard-y frosting of eggs and sugar mixed with coconut and pecans. Have you ever tried making the icing with half and half instead of evaporated milk? 128 calories; calories from fat 23%; fat 3.3g; saturated fat 1g; mono fat 1.3g; poly fat 0.6g; protein 2g; carbohydrates 23g; fiber 0.4g; cholesterol 12mg; iron 0.5mg; sodium 103mg; calcium 36mg. A Texas made cookbook isn’t complete without the quintessential Texas dessert – Texas Sheet Cake. Sheet cake is in a pan not cookie sheet. As it turns out, the cake is an American creation, not brought to us from German immigrants as many have thought. Yes, that is what a sheet cake is, 11 x 17. And it's also very Texan. From chips and dip to one-bite apps, finger foods are the perfect way to kick off a party. THE ORIGINAL TEXAS SHEET CAKE RECIPE. I'm fixing to make it again tomorrow for Grandparent's day! I'm goin' in. Once the eggs are incorporated, add the melted chocolate. Thanks, y’all! Love the comment. How long to cream the shortening and sugar? The origins of this cake are a little murky, as are the claims from Texans far and wide that it is our invention. After researching the origins of the cake, every bite and nibble took us back to a recipe that ran in The Dallas Morning News in June 1957 called German Sweet Chocolate Cake. Fingertip taste-test says marvelous, darlin'...marvelous! The time needed to prepare the icing will give the cake time to cool enough. Brown uses colored pencils, markers and vintage technical pens to create charming, elegant illustrations that have already been featured by the likes of Food & Wine. If you love our scrumptious illustrations of (not so) German chocolate cake, then you should meet the talented man behind them. Can I make this as a Bundt cake and/or do I need to double it to do so?? The frosting is also sandwiched in between the layers. Bake for 30-35 minutes. The German Chocolate Cake is not actually German, it's Texan We traced the origins of the popular cake to a 1957 recipe published in The Dallas Morning News. Here’s what Dallas County suggests for a safe Thanksgiving, Despite huge D-FW gains, nationwide home prices growing even faster, Missing man found dead from homicidal violence in east Oak Cliff, Dallas police say, ‘Intimate’ food hall expected to open in early 2021 in downtown Frisco, Man behind bars after 42-year-old man found dead during welfare check in Red Bird, Look inside 2 restaurants opening soon at the glamorous Thompson Hotel in downtown Dallas, 40-plus North Texas restaurants offering Thanksgiving dishes and desserts to-go, A scaled-down pandemic Thanksgiving: What to cook for your smaller holiday, This gluten-free Italian dessert is the perfect alternative to pumpkin pie, Hot Chicks Nashville Hot Chicken restaurant expected to open in West Plano, Student expelled from Colleyville school for being gay has hired a civil rights attorney, High-rise office campus is in the works for $1.5 billion Grandscape project, Dallas’ Robert Jeffress, leading pro-Trump evangelical conservative, calls Biden ‘president-elect’ but says it’s not yet official, Dallas elementary closed because of COVID-19 concerns.