Beat in the vanilla, then increase the speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 45 seconds. When I think of German chocolate cake, I think of Thanksgiving and Christmas. And it’s surprisingly easy to make. Note to high altitude bakers: the recipe does not require adjustment at 7500 ft. This cake, however, it may be that anyone may like it, is a counterfeit and an imposter. And as always, please take a gander at our comment policy before posting. Meanwhile for the frosting: Melt the remaining 1 cup dark chocolate baking chips and cool. I was unsure, however, about what “slightly thick” meant when making the filling. With the mixer running at low speed, add the chocolate mixture, then increase the speed to medium and beat until combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down the bowl once. “Fantastic!”. (My repairman told me that most ovens are off at least 25 degrees from what the dial shows.). Fold in the chocolate chips. I used candied pecans to accent the piping. ], [ As others have stated, I did some research, made a few recipes, and IMHO, this version is a standout over the original. Upload a picture of your dish Yeah, I’ll give you that. Have a picture you'd like to add to your comment? Rachel, not sure what you mean by a “candy bar” cake. The maximum number of products that can be compared is 4. The coconut pecans brown sugar just make me drool. Toast the pecans on a rimmed baking sheet until fragrant and browned, about 8 minutes. Finally, because the cake is so regal, I adorned the top with a crown of chocolate and caramel embellishments. To unravel the naming even more, Baker’s chocolate was named after Sam German, a Baker’s employee who created the sweet chocolate back in 1852 or so. Would I be able to make these into mini-cupcakes? With the mixer running at low speed, add the dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with the sour cream in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. I will definitely be making this again- maybe new Easter tradition :), Lovely to hear this, Christine! Bittersweet chocolate has no more place in a German Chocolate Cake than…sauerkraut! This is a very good recipe. Do you think I could make this cake in a 9-x-13-inch aluminum pan? Consider that a conversation starter at your gathering when you slice into this lovely little legacy. These do not work well with mini cupcakes, but they do work with standard size. The whisk will whip in too much air. We’re so happy that you found a keeper! Lovely, Diane! I was very pleased with the outcome of this German chocolate cake. Why, thank you, Chad! Attach it below. Let cool until room temperature. And lovely that you shared your photo, which is gorgeous! The flour and cocoa mainly contribute starch (as well as a little protein and fat) so if your measurements were slightly heavy that could dry the cake too. I normally don’t like brown sugar in a chocolate cake, but it blended well with the filling. Does it truly matter if I use salted or unsalted butter? I’m not a huge German chocolate cake fan, but I treated myself to an extra slice with a large glass of milk. Finally, I think icing the sides (with chocolate?) Find the best chocolate dessert recipes from Ghirardelli. If the temperature was too high, the cake could dry out. Image. So glad you were able to do that so successfully with this cake. But it was so dry it was crumbly. It had just the right sweetness. Then you’ll love our collection of tasty chocolate cake ideas - from chocolate chips and layered chocolate cakes to dark chocolate cupcakes and more. If you want a culinary ace in your pocket, this cake will certainly fill the bill. Meanwhile, spray two 9-inch-round by 2-inch-high straight-sided cake pans with nonstick cooking spray and then line the bottoms with parchment or waxed paper rounds cut to fit. I absolutely adore German Chocolate Cake. All I can say, Taryn, is “Wow! } Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down the bowl with a rubber spatula halfway through. I am about to suggest to my little baking buddies that for our week coming soon to all make this cake. A bit of homework is obviously absent in this recipe, sorry! Aside from upping the measures of butter and sugar, I baked the cake in three 8-inch rounds. When you bake with Ghirardelli chocolate, you’ll taste the quality in every single delicious bite. Thanks :). Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). I told her I was making this cake for her, so all she had to do was give me a full report on the taste. "catentry_id" : "3074457345616698655", Bake 35-40 minutes (do not open the oven for the first 30 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean (except for melted chocolate chips). Will let you know what week we might be baking. "catentry_id" : "3074457345616722619", { © 2019 All rights reserved. I baked it at that altitude and it was perfect.