Cook for 1 minute longer. 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped onions, 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green bell peppers, 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning (such as Tony Chachere's), or to taste, 1 pound fully-cooked smoked beef sausage (such as Hillshire Farm®), sliced, Back to 'Momma Made Em' Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. All the ingredients are pretty common in everyday cooking and I can guarantee you, if you add creole seasoning to the list, you’re going to want to put it on everything. Hubby thought it was great. It's better to keep the heat lower, stir more often and take the maximum amount of time then to risk scorching the roux which will make it bitter. With the roux, there is no need for additional thickener. I removed the thighs when done then cut them into pieces and put with the sausage and vegie mixture. I made 2 T. worth of creole blend, and ended up putting it all in. Your email address will not be published. Add the bay leaf, okra, salt and pepper to the soup and stir to combine. When the roux was ready, I poured the chicken broth into the roux and stirred, then added the meat and vegie mixture. After the chicken has cooled enough to handle, pick the meat from the bones, and set aside. I'd bet that the gumbo would be great if you didn't change a t'ing. Using a slotted … Our TRINITY veggies are always fresh, NOT FROZEN, and a CAST IRON DUTCH OVEN is a MUST to cook in. pre cut the onions celery bell peppers. This is a delicious gumbo. While similar in flavor and add-ins like chicken, sausage or seafood, Jambalaya is more of a paella dish or primarily a rice based dish. Don't forget to scrape the pan when you pour in the stock, you need those bits!! Simmer for 2 hours or until chicken is tender and gumbo is thickened; stir in crawfish tails, if using, for the last 10 minutes. The Picayune Creole Cookbook is a compilation of recipes from the Picayune-Creole newspaper of the early 1900's in New Orleans. Reserve the chicken broth. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Serve over rice. I prefer to make my own seasoning but didn't want to venture too far off. Place the salt, black pepper, Cajun seasoning, and garlic powder, with the flour in a 1 gallon zip … When the roux has become smooth and rich, add the peppers, onions, garlic,celery and sausage. A busy mom of two and former marketing manager, she created her website as a way to share recipes and household DIY tricks with her corporate coworkers. 32.4 g Subscribe Today - receive the Mar/Apr 2020 next week. Personally, I don’t time myself when I’m cooking, but this will take more than 10 min. Very good spicy flavor and smooth sauce. I love to experiment with bold, vibrant spices when making quick dinners that aren’t going to be simmering all day long, like in my super popular Taco Soup and Easy Fish Tacos. If you've never made a Cajun Roux, don't skimp of the time it takes to make it. I couldn't find a combination Cajun/Creole no-salt spice, so I used Penzeys Cajun spice which listed salt as the second ingredient and provided excellent flavor. Oooh yum! I added a little more tomatoes than called for and used about twice as much andouille. Ok one can use canola oil as well as butter to make the roux. Also, saute the okra to "de-slime" before adding to the pot. Gumbo, on the other hand, is a soup or stew based recipe that is thickened with a roux. This is now a staple in our house. Next time I will use bacon grease instead of oil for more flavor and certainly fresh vegetables when in season. Gumbo is a stay-inside-and-cook-all-day kind of dish that warms you inside and out. Okra helps thicken the mixture so in this case you can use File powder to replace the okra. Return the chicken to the pot and allow to simmer until the chicken is falling off the bone, about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Home > Recipes > Soups & Stews > Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Recipe. Nutrition Go figure. Also, saute the okra to "de-slime" before adding to the pot. Vibrant, spicy flavor simmered to perfection, this combination of chicken, sausage, okra, and veggies is cooked in a creamy creole spiced broth that is just pure comfort. Sounds like an ‘authentic’ Gumbo to me, so I’m anxious to try it. Its a good recipe though. If you want a gumbo with a velvety texture, the roux is of utmost importance. I was glad I was putting this chicken in a soup since it was not very moist. Reserve the chicken stock. My husband loved it! Enjoy Kristin! Stirring slowly and constantly for 20 to 25 minutes, make a dark brown … And I'm gluten free, so to make the roux, I used GF all purpose flour and cornstarch (ratio of about 2:1 to fill the measuring cup. Adding the vegetables to the roux without any liquid did not make sense to me. Not sure? Great Gumbo! -  I also simmered it a bit longer because the veggies were still a little crunchy. Mixture should be a dark caramel color; if you burn it, toss it out and start over. I had fire roasted diced tomatoes so I used those, juice and all. Add the bay leaf, okra, salt and pepper to the soup and stir to combine. I would do it exactly the same way next time too! Sprinkle with chopped green onions and parsley for an extra pop of color. Both my foodie husband and picky daughter gave it a thumbs up! Your recipe calls for paprika but doesn’t say when to add that. Heat oil in a heavy stock pot over medium heat. Offers may be subject to change without notice. I thought this dish had really good flavor, but I thought the vegetables were way over cooked. (Do not stop whisking or the roux will burn.). 11 Aug 2009 to get everything chopped up, and to gather up & measure out all of the other ingredients. Serves 6 (serving size: 1 cup gumbo and 1/2 cup rice). Serve the chicken gumbo over rice, if desired. If you prefer to use something you have on hand, you could try thickening the gumbo with either flour or cornstarch. Turn the heat to low. Perfect for a cold weeknight meal.  (Review from Allrecipes US | Canada). This is a compilation from the Picayune Creole Cookbook and Cajun-Creole Cooking. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Total Carbohydrate But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. my wife is from the south (US)and said it was as good as any she had ever had. It is thickened with okra and a classic roux, which is a browned flour mixture that lends tons of flavor to the broth. Every Thursday you'll receive new recipes, events & festivals and more. It will however, take more than 10 min. Add stock and tomatoes to pan; bring to a boil. Easy to make and full of flavor!!! We NEVER use a prepared creole or cajun seasoning mix. I will definitely make it again. In a large stock pot, about 12 quart, heat the olive oil and bacon fat. Here are my changes: First I chopped the sausage and cooked it in a skillet, reserving the grease in a measuring cup. The beauty of making gumbo is that you can make it all your own. This post may contain affiliate links. Ad the bay leaf. I saw no one had reviewed this and just had to give credit where credit is due. I hope you love the recipe! Next time I'll add them in at the very end - I like my vegetables to still have some crunch to them. We NEVER use a prepared creole or cajun seasoning mix. Just what the doctor ordered for hubby's flu. The perfect dish to keep you warm during the winter. Delicious and easy!! I am a wine and cheese lover, recipe creator, shopping enthusiast and self-appointed foodie.