Issac Newton’s 1687 publication of Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy, more commonly known as Principia, may have been the most important and influential scientific piece of literature of all time. 1897: Electron It augments the benefits of language by making permanent, allowing the message to travel further and persist through time. I found out several things that I didn’t know–such as batteries were first invented in 1799! For tens of thousands of years there was no organized number systems and people counted things using their fingers and toes. "The reality of things consists in their persistent forcing themselves upon our recognition. 820s: Algebra The pendulum clock was invented by Christiaan Huygens in 1656 and became the worlds most accurate time-keeping device until the early 20th century. Your student will more fully appreciate the progress of science through the centuries. 12000 BCE – 4000 BCE: Domestication of Plants June 3, 2019 It’s amazing to see how far we’ve come since our early ancestors discovered fire! "The wave function of quantum mechanics just describes our knowledge about the system and not the state of the system, in the same way as the Boltzmann equation tells us nothing about the actual state of the system, but just something about the probable outcomes of a measurement" (Cercignani 1998:119). The Voyager Program consists of two spacecraft, Voyager 1 and Voyager 2, launched by NASA in 1977 in order to probe the four outer planets of the Solar System. good info! 1824: Carnot Cycle The importance of metallurgy to human culture is so vital that scholars typically divide ancient time periods by metalworking ages such as the Stone Age, the Bronze Age, and the Iron Age. Such an interesting topic. May 2, 2020 There is no other history than that" (Wheeler 1982:24). This time line goes back to the ancient world of Pythagoras, Aristotle and Archimedes, to the medieval world of Copernicus and Galileo, up to the modern world of Edison and Einstein. I would like to acknowledge with gratitude the helpful comments of Frederick Ted Castle, Timothy Macdonald, and David Park at various earlier stages of this endeavor. This is fascinating!!! In 1763 the now famous theorem of English Reverend Thomas Bayes was published two years after his death. I didn’t know most of these, though I love watching and reading about science haha. 1668: Reflecting Telescope i absolutely loved how you wrote out your post, the blocks makes it so easy to follow! Like many inventions, the exact date of the first microscope is disputed and confused, however credit is sometimes given to Zacharias Janssen and his father Hans Martenz for creating the first microscope as early as 1590, or possibly in 1595. I am a huge science and fact nerd, I simply loved reading every piece. May 21, 2019 Wow – great post – a lot of data you heard at school but forgot already! Read More 1834: The Electric Motor 1763: Bayes’ Theorem June 5, 2019 Principles of Geology was a groundbreaking work that promoted and popularized the James Hutton’s concept of uniformitarianism. A vital precursor to the scientific revolution, the invention of the printing press changed the way information spread across the world by improving its fidelity and, most importantly, by hastening its rate of reproduction. A refracting telescope uses lens to collect and focus the image as opposed to a reflecting telescope that uses a combination of mirrors to reflect and focus the image. Thanks for sharing. History of science, the development of science over time. I’m currently reading Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari’s and this is so in line with the book hehe:), Your email address will not be published. November 9, 2018 A vital precursor to the scientific revolution, the invention of the printing press changed the way information spread across the world by improving its fidelity and, most importantly, by hastening its rate of reproduction. Read More The Carnot cycle is the ideal cycle of operations that provides the maximum theoretical efficiency for any engine that utilizes heat. Quantum mechanics is a paradigm shifting theory of physics that describes nature at the smallest scale. This is fascinating! If a thing has no such persistence, it is a mere dream. I don’t think I can appreciate this article enough! Now you shall have seen, in phenomenal form, a story" (Royce 1892:425). René Descartes creates Cartesian coordinate system — allowing reference to … I love the history. This is great! © ScienceTimeline 2016 All Rights Reserved. February 2, 2018 Read More In 1913 Niels Bohr proposed a model of the atom based on quantum physics which helped solve problems of previous atomic models that were based on classical physics. This includes evolution, biochemistry, molecular biology, immunology, paleontology, neurology, psychology, cognition, astronomy, astrophysics, logic, computer simulation, linguistics, etc. Read More January 30, 2017 Read More For useful information. Published by Galileo Galilei on March 13, 1610, Sidereus Nuncius (or Starry Messenger) revealed to the world Galileo’s observations as he view the night sky through his improved telescope. I love science so much. Read More. Fascinating timeline! Read More Such a long list.. Its always so intriguing to learn the power of science. I can’t wait to use this for a lesson Im teaching. Great post, i really enjoyed reading this, so informative, I really loved science so it doesn’t bore me at all.. . 1590s: The Microscope "By dissolving Newton's absolute space and time into a network of relationships, general relativity takes a first step away from the notion that the coherence of the world lies outside of it" (Smolin 1997:240). October 30, 2018 Read More At some point in history there had to be one initial crucial step that separated humans from the other animals in our journey to becoming the dominant species on this planet. Read More Read More March 18, 2019 The discovery of the relationship between gas volume and air pressure was published by Robert Boyle in 1662. In 1712 Thomas Newcomen unknowingly ushered the world into the industrial revolution when he built an “atmospheric” engine to pump up water from a coal mine near Dudley Castle in England. August 23, 2017 I like how you formatted the blog post!