The hot cross bun has been associated with Good Friday for centuries – for many people the cross is a religious symbol to remind Christians of Jesus’ death. 2 eggs Videos and recipes here. The cross represented the rebirth of the world after winter and the four quarters of the moon, as well as the four seasons and the wheel of life. 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon Finely grated and mixed with water, it was sometimes used as a medicine.If you’re the superstitious type, why not make your own hot cross buns? 1 package active dry yeast The hot cross bun is not complicated to make. But these customs underwent a massive reduction in the Reformation, as they were labelled superstitious by the reformers.“Some have survived, like hot cross buns, only to be shorn of their Christian meaning with the growth of secular culture.”Revd McGowen said that the cross: “Was certainly a specific addition to remind eaters of the cross of Jesus.”. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Religion Prof: The Blog of James F. McGrath. Whisk in additional tablespoons of sugar until it’s a little thicker than you think it needs to be. Though it’s stressful to prepare a meal for 50 people, it’s deeply satisfying to provide for others. Then again, they were very popular…. As Emily Scott pointed out recently, in Luke it seems like Jesus is always either sitting down for a meal or getting up from one. Give them to your sons Irish bride performs beautiful song at her wedding, Two Irishmen meet by chance and play most amazing piano duet you’ve ever heard. I could bring some to St. Lydia’s Easter Vigil feast, and then bring more to the family brunch on Easter Sunday. If you read this blog regularly, you know I love food traditions. 3/4 cup currants It’s probably propaganda from anti-Catholics, but in the early days, it’s possible there was communion wafer flour incorporated into the dough. He said: “Some speculate [hot cross buns] may have had their origins in pagan customs which Christians took over. Hot cross buns! Press down on the dough to deflate it, then roll into a log and divide into 16 pieces. Copyright Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archive – posted with permission. In a large bowl, whisk together 3 cups of flour, 1t of salt, all the spices and 1/4c of sugar. The Greeks in 6th century AD may have marked cakes with a cross. One ha’ penny, 05 /6 The cross was introduced by a Monk According to some tales, the origin of the buns can also be traced back to the 12th century where an Anglican Monk baked these buns and made the cross on them on purpose. Also, send me the Progressive Christian Newsletter and special offers. ‘Cross Buns’ were baked to celebrate Eostre, a Germanic Goddess of Fertility, after which the season of Easter is said to be named. Plenty of people cook like that too, but I like to approximate and taste and adjust. Preheat the oven to 400°. Candice Lucey Contributing Writer It doesn’t date back to childhood. This meaning has blended with its Christian meaning over the centuries in Celtic Christianity, and enriches its traditional Christian symbolism, in my view. (See the posts on my Shrove Tuesday pancake alternative, and Hanukkah latkes.) Stir in 1t of sugar and sprinkle in the package of yeast. Please share that link, or one to my blog, with anyone you think might be interested. Sue Ellen Thompson, author of Holiday Symbols and Customs wrote: “The pagans worshipped the goddess Ēostre (after whom Easter was named) by serving tiny cakes, often decorated with a cross, at their annual spring festival. Let sit 5-10 minutes until foamy. Revd McGowan said: “It was certainly a specific addition to remind eaters of the cross of Jesus.”A passage from ‘Poor Robin’s Almanac’ from 1733 read: “Good Friday comes this month, the old woman runs, with one or two a penny hot cross buns”. Marking annual events with specific foods is powerfully grounding. Often religious festivals brought out the best in people and the buns were given to the needy on Good Friday. Share hot cross buns with your friends this Holy Week, and then cherish those friendships and treat them as holy for the coming year! One thing we know for sure is that it began in England. Baking and cooking, at least the way I cook, are different.