Can’t wait for you to make the zucchini lasagna :) As for the Shepherd’s pie, French lentils work just fine! Learn how to cook lentils perfectly - it's easy! I sometimes use LENTILS as SLOPPY JOES with GROUND CHICKEN Hi there- Glad this recipe worked out for you! Hi Kathy- Glad this recipe helped you create the perfect batch of lentils! Don't over cook though! … Now I know better. I didn’t know that. THANK YOU! I did not have kombu and don’t like bay leaves but I added just a bit of salt to the water and served with roasted veggies. Watch the video below and learn how to cook lentils in 4 steps: There are a dozen or so varieties of lentils, but these are the ones I use most frequently and the more common ones you’ll find in your local market: You Don’t Need to Soak Lentils: When you cook other dried legumes and beans you typically need to soak them first. It’s so simple! Definitely going to give it a try. Cook the lentils on high for 3-4 hours and low … I’m using Green Lentils in this recipe. :). Add this mixture to the lentils along with the cumin, … Hi Chrissie – I would stick to kombu for this. Thank you! Hi Kathleen- Wonderful! ©Downshiftology. Sometimes this means switching to a smaller burner on your stove, so that you don’t over simmer the lentils. Lentil Marinara Sauce with Spaghetti Squash, Be sure to follow me on social media! Thanks for the inspiration and all the great cooking tips, too. I would like to try this recipe but I’m wondering if I’d need to double the kombu if I double the lentils and water? Some of my favorites include easy side dishes, tasty salads and hearty main meals. It’s always good to have a reference! Just so happened to have bay leaves and kombu on hand, so I gave it a shot. Learn how to cook lentils perfectly, so they don’t end up mushy. What a great idea to have cooked lentils on hand! Rinse the lentils in a fine mesh sieve under the faucet. It’s really as easy as that. I always add salt while lentils are cooking. Because they’re so full of protein, lentils are perfect for whole food plant based (WFPB) meals. https://www.lentils.org/recipes-cooking/how-to-cook-lentils Glad to hear this helped you create the perfect batch of lentils! Thanks, Sabrina! I usually cook a large quantity of lentils and freeze them. Thank you for your helpful guide. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I’ve always cooked mushy lentils. I’m cooking lentils today Thanks for tips about adding salt. Honey Oatmeal Squares – Oven Baked Chewy Oat Bars, Vegetarian Lentil Chili with Roasted Butternut Squash. :), I found information on this sight useful and easily understood a band a great attribute for the health of my family, cheers. We cook lentils on the stovetop, and in the lentils in the Instant Pot. Rinse the lentils well with water and pour them into a small saucepan. Serve them as a side or use in salads! . Inspect the lentils and remove any bad lentils or small stones. Contrary to other types of lentils like brown or red lentils, black lentils hold their shape when cooked. Drain excess liquid. :) Glad you enjoyed the info! Here are a few notes and tips for making this recipe: Once you’ve cooked up a pot of these black lentils, there’s lots of ways to use them! There are so many ways to enjoy the goodness of cooked lentils! Thanks Cynthia. Hi Rhonda – you can soak them overnight, but I do find the longer you soak the more mushy they’ll become. I’m wondering if cooking them in a broth would give them added flavor, have you ever tried that? Thanks, Lisa! Good to know. You don't want mushy lentils. I had red lentils in a chili once but wasn’t crazy about it so I’ve stirred clear of lentils since. We’re Sonja and Alex Overhiser, the recipe developers and cookbook authors behind this website. It’s probably not necessary, but you certainly can if you’d like. Just be aware that yellow lentils tend to be softer, like red lentils. Thank you for sharing! Rinse the lentils well with water and pour them into a small saucepan. Got a bag of black lentils and not sure what to do with it? Lentils are nutrition powerhouses, flavorful, inexpensive and a staple in vegan and vegetarian recipes as they’re loaded with plant-based protein. Simple things if unknown make life better for some. Rinse the lentils in a fine mesh sieve under the faucet. I needed some green lentils for a vegan goulash recipe but, I had never cooked lentils before on their own. We’re here to help! I received a box of lentils from a neighbour lady who was travelling on. :) Glad you’re enjoying my site! Enjoy right away or cool and store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. I’m Lisa and I love healthy food with fresh, simple and seasonal ingredients. I thought I had the green ones but I only have yellow kinds. Thanks Lizet! Enough to keep the lentils covered. You will want to use the same 1 cup of lentils to 4 cups of liquid and can add any of the flavor enhancers. Lentils will keep you full, healthy and energized. I ought to try cooking more lentils. Ready to get cooking? Thanks for this. There are so many recipes that call for cooked lentils and so much variation in how they should be cooked.