Careful though, those are sharp. -- princessncali, "This is THE BEST pineapple upside-down cake EVER. Excellent! Anytime I see pineapples go that low, I stock up! Some of our favorite top-rated recipes with fresh pineapple: "Tropical goodness with a kick! If you wish to slice the pineapple into rings, remove the core with a pineapple corer and slice to desired thickness. Yes you can grow it from the top — I have one that is about 1-1/2 years old now, and it is HUGE! Smell the pineapple. Hello! You’ve bought a passion fruit at the store, but how are you supposed to eat it? To do this, place the pineapple on its side. Cutting through the hard, bumpy skin (not to mention the unedible core) of a pineapple can seem like a daunting task. It was also good on tacos and salad. To do so, lay your pineapple on its side. The only thing I’ve done with it is juicing – and you can also juice the rind and last bits of what’s cut off so none of that’s wasted. Read on for step-by-step directions and recipes. Yes. Will cut pineapple turn brown? on Amazon, $88.03 (17% savings) At that point, you can place the pineapple on its side to cut slices. Sliced or diced pineapple should be kept in an airtight container in the fridge and eaten within 3–5 days. You do waste a little bit of good pineapple this way, but not much, and it is a lot faster than trying to carefully cut out each eye. Get daily tips and expert advice to help you take your cooking skills to the next level. One pineapple yields about 4 cups of cut pineapple chunks. No mad knife skills required. Summary You might be able to de-section a very ripe pineapple using only your fingers, though this process may get messy. Next, slice a 1–2-inch (2.5–5-cm) layer off the opposite side of the fruit without removing any of the crown. Just toss it all in together. [2] X Research source Once you’ve cut all the skin off, you’re going to cut out the core next. wikiHow is where trusted research and expert knowledge come together. Thanks :) :). But the far edges are the best part, especially if the pineapple is still a little green. I’m Chinese but I grew up in the U.S. You can also dehydrate pineapple it if you’d like, and mix it in with homemade trail mix and there’s a good chance no one will even notice! That’s like paying $6 for ONE pineapple. Cut off the bottom half inch or so of the pineapple. This is how they cut it in the Philippines, and I figure with all the pineapple they grow and eat there, they should know! Then use a knife or apple corer to remove the core. Search by ingredient below and I’ll give you recipe ideas that will please your palette, Whether it’s for one season or one year, let us take meal planning off your to-do list so you can focus on feeding your family healthy food. First, wash the pineapple. When does cut pineapple go bad? Try resting your pineapple on its side, turning the fruit each day, to prevent its juices from pooling at the bottom (10). Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Not only is pineapple DELICIOUS, but it’s incredibly affordable and convenient if you learn how to cut a fresh pineapple properly yourself! If you want rounds, just lay the pineapple on its side and cut it into 3/4 inch rounds. At this point, you have pineapple that’s ready to eat! Repeat with remaining quarters. So then why would we spend our hard-earned grocery dollars on pre-cut pineapple at the grocery store when we can learn how to cut a pineapple ourselves? Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't get rotten. Thank you for saving every bit of my favorite fruit :), Great way to keep more of the sweetest pineapple. Turn the pineapple upright onto its base. I’ll make this next time and see how it goes! you can probably just use a lino cutter found at an art supplies shop. Place the lemon-coated pineapple slices into an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator. As long as the uncut side is wrapped in plastic, it shouldn't rot. Summary Make pineapple chunks by cutting pineapple spears into smaller pieces. This is how we cut pineapple in Southeast Asia. As the eyes are inedible, you’ll need to cut a V-shaped trench for each row of eyes, then pluck out that trench to remove them. Let the "pineapple tea" cool completely, then strain and refrigerate. Once the skin is off, remove the brown eye spots from the pineapple by cutting them out in wedges with the knife. What’s more, this enzyme is thought to speed recovery after surgery or strenuous exercise — and may even protect against certain types of cancers (6, 7, 8). I’m Cambodian and this is how my mom has taught me how to cut a pineapple. Fresh pineapple is a must. This makes pineapple juice great for marinating tough meat but don't marinate for too long or the meat will fall apart. If it smells like sweet, fresh pineapple juice, it’s ripe. My problem is figuring out when it’s ripe. The white fibrous matter in the core tastes bitter but some people like this taste. Notice the dark brown "eyes" around the edge of the pineapple. I didn’t care for the savory food in China, but I enjoyed their sweets. Elise launched Simply Recipes in 2003 as a way to keep track of her family's recipes, and along the way grew it into one of the most popular cooking websites in the world. I heard of this, but none of the tutorials I found were so straight-forward. Cut straight down through the center core and then again through the center core of each half. Yes! Grocery stores use sneaky marketing tactics so you stay in the store longer, buy things you don’t need, and spend more money. You can extend its shelf life by refrigerating or freezing it. But I don’t like this because: So instead of doing this, we simply store our pineapples on their side. To peel the pineapple you will need a long knife. No. The core runs through the center of the fruit and tends to be fibrous, which some people dislike. $18.00 FOR A CURRY, your method is best, and VERY EASY TO DO. The core is tough, but edible and healthy. Which I also think is the best way to slice pineapple because it wastes the least amount of fruit (no bias whatsoever!) I often have to trim off soft spots. I remember those little street vendor pineapples — they were so good! To simplify the process, you can even use a device called a pineapple corer. Got more frozen chicken than you know what to do with? . A great party pleaser or a quick and easy meal for those hectic days!" The best-tasting parts of the pineapple are on the very edge of the fruit, so it is very important to get the cut right. That is, until now, thanks to a video of a pineapple hack uploaded by TikTok user @dillonroberts22. -- NRD, "Really great on grilled chicken and fish. Elise is a graduate of Stanford University, and lives in Sacramento, California. Summary Pineapple rings can be made by slicing the fruit into discs and using a knife or apple corer to remove the core from the fruit. -- Flasteph. So looks like pineapple will now be a more regular fresh fruit for us. Leaving it out overnight or for a few hours while the kids’ snack isn’t a big deal, but you generally want to store it in the fridge. -- LAURA*P, "I fell in love with this recipe the moment I saw it. It’s also a great source of bromelain, which may ease digestion, boost immune health, and reduce arthritis symptoms (1, 2, 3, 4, 5). What matters is the smell. Get weekly accountability, monthly meal plans and swap recipe ideas with fellow foodies in Clean Eating Club! It turns the pineapple cutting process into a multi-hour, two-step occasion. I couldn't believe with just a few simple ingredients, we could get such a yummy tropical drink." Why does fresh pineapple make the tongue feel so strange? You can cut it into thin slices, into big chunks, into long strips… however you want! My daughter is currently 4 months old. Remember that you can always slice a little more off, but once you’ve chopped it off, it’s really hard to get that fruit back. 1 ripe pineapple; Cut off the base and the leafy top of the pineapple and discard them. References. Pineapple boats are a visually appealing vessel for fruit salads, frozen yogurt, and even savory dishes like fried rice and stir-fries. Would you ever pay that? Good advice. I’ll cut them all up at one time, freeze some, dehydrate some and intentionally put pineapple on the meal plan for the week. After removing the crown, place the corer over the center of the fruit, press down, and twist the handle until your device reaches the base. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. This is a great family story. Before becoming a food writer, Brett Moore earned a culinary degree and worked as a professional chef. One of those containers at my local grocery store costs $6.99. In other words, when you eat pineapples, the pineapple eats you right back. Just a cutting board and a sharp chef's knife. If you make smoothie packets or freezer meals, there’s no need to freeze the pineapple separately. I try to use the WHOLE thing – I cut off the top, peel away some of the leaves at the bottom, then plant it; I cut out the center, hard part and puree it in my blender then make fruit leather from it – yum and easy to do in an oven! Cut off the rest of the pineapple skin by slicing down from top to bottom along each row of eyes (as revealed by your first cut). This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. With a very ripe fruit, it may be possible to pop out each individual section using only your fingers. I’ve had pineapple the fridge for over a week without any issues. You can use a small paring knife to carefully carve out each one, but there is an easier way. Thank you so much! And it’s hard to beat paying just one dollar for real food! Speaking of convenience, have you ever seen fresh pineapple at the grocery store, cut up in chunks or slices, ready to go? A perfect balance of sweet, savory, and spicy in every bite! X It’s a lot cheaper than fresh pineapple!”. Cut off the Top and Bottom of the Pineapple, How to Cut a Pineapple and Make a Pineapple Boat, Turkish-Style Artichoke Bottoms (Zeytinyağlı Enginar). To slow down this browning process, coat the cut pieces with lemon juice; the ascorbic acid in the lemon juice helps to slow the oxidization.