You also have to check for any signs that might indicate an illness or bacterial or parasitic infections. The ammonia should be kept at 0 ppm and the nitrate at 0 ppm. what am i doing wrong? Plus, the breeding box facilitates matters for you…you do not need to worry about the quality of the water. If you do not separate the adult guppies from the tank where the fry are, there is a very high chance that the baby guppies will be eaten by the adult guppies. If you have a well, and the water is safe for drinking, I still recommend using a water conditioner. Are baby guppies supposed to sit at the bottom of the tank?If there are adult guppies in the tank, the fry would want to hide so if there are no enough plants to hide behind them, they will sit the bottom of the tank in order not to get eaten by the adult guppies. The female guppy releases about 20-60 fry at a time. I found that there are usually 3 main reasons why guppy fry do not grow as you want them to grow. on Bigger fry are more agile and will eat more. Unfortunately I’ve learned this the hard way, when a camallanus worm infection wiped out my entire guppy colony. But first let’s see why your baby guppies are not growing. It is also a good idea to separate the fry by size and different age broods. Baby guppies would be afraid of the adult fishes and they would always look for a place to hide till they feed and grow in size so that they can get along with the rest of the fishes. Feeding the fry egg yolk would be an excellent idea because it is healthy for them and rich in proteins. Keeping 20-30 fry in a breeding box for a month is a bad idea. If you cannot purchase a breeding box, you could try another method: provide lots of places that would help your baby guppies to hide. On the other hand plants can provide surface area for microorganisms and algae to grow. Guppy Aquarium They’ll only come out of hiding when they are hungry for food. From my experience adding plants to your breeding and out-grow guppy tanks is also contribution to growth and health. After 6 months, the Guppy should be fully grown by now and considered as an adult. This gave me very good results over the years. they are in a breeder net and the water temp is 80 degrees F. i do regular water changes also. Don’t get it why is necessary to keep your guppies in such a sterile environment. One more thing as far the water’s quality is concerned, keep the water’s temperature between 75 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Separating the fry: As we mentioned before, it is good to separate the adult guppies from the fry so as not to have your fry eaten by the bigger fish. For fry that are older than one month, I recommend 1 gallon per fish. The grow-out fish tank should be at least 5 gallon (20 liter). The content of this website is not meant to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Please share your thoughts below in the comments, or send me an email through the contact form. Do not us a breeding box to raise your guppies. So try to keep the temperature as stable as possible. Just place the pregnant guppy in it once you see that the gravid spot has grown darker and larger, this means that it is about to give birth to the live fry. This feeding schedule is recommended only for breeders who are keeping the fry for breeding purposes; however, if you just keep guppies for fun, once or twice a day would be enough to feed them. When the fry are released from the mother guppy, they will start swimming everywhere around the tank. Live plants will consume nitrates from the water columns, “purifying” the water. Theonly explanation is that the water is cold. To separate her from the adult guppies who could eat the fry once it is released. They should be fed four to five small meals everyday to allow them to grow up faster. Although guppies can support a wide range of water parameters, they are very sensitive to huge fluctuations. If you feed your guppy fry 3 times a day, 2 partial water changes of 15-20% per week will be enough. If you feed more they won't eat it. I can’t stress enough the importance of fresh water in a grow-out tank. Why are all my fry female? But feeding them 5 to 10 times daily would help in accelerating their growth. 9 years ago. By between 1-2 months, your Guppy fry should have reached their juvenile stage. So here you have my top tips that will help you grow your guppy fry faster and healthier. Usually it is around half a gallon or maybe less. Moreover, the parents guppies could eat their baby guppies. The breeding box has some slots with a divider, once the labor is over, you are going to take the female away to the other side of the tank. My name is Nadine; I am a passionate writer and a pet lover. The weekly water changes are not enough. People usually call me by the nickname “Joy” because they think that I am …keep reading, Fluffyplanet.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com We do not provide veterinary suggestions. The excess food will just decay and turn into Ammonia at the bottom of the tank, which (if you get a moderatly high quantity of it) will end up killing your fish. You can also buy a breeding box. Another common problem raising guppy fry is the lack of water changes. While the fry are younger, up to 1 month old, half a gallon of water per fry is enough. There are many diseases that cannot be treated, but can be prevented with regular water changes and quality food. Fry will use a lot of energy to swim around and look for food. i have 11 fry and they are only a little bit over 1 cm, i feed them hikari powdered fry food and finely crushed flakes. Read more…, GuppyExpert.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. It is always good to provide the guppies with a variety of nutrients and minerals. By between 1-2 months, your Guppy fry should have reached their juvenile stage. For example, some of these recommended plants are guppy grass, java moss, hornworts, or roots of lettuce. Keeping live plants in your aquariums is also good for preventing or reducing algae growth, because plants and algae are competing for resources. If you are planning to breed guppies, you have come to the right place…We will provide you with the answers you are searching for! If you do so, only buy premium food from well-known brands. Once they grow in size, you can place them back in a tank filled with adult guppies. Remember to always ask a veterinarian for help regarding all of your pets. I recommend keeping the lights on no more than 16 hours a day and give them time to sleep. When the water’s quality is good enough, the guppies will grow faster and healthier. These plants are very easy to care for. Read my other article about guppy food, where I share a secret guppy fry food recipe that will dramatically increase growth rate. However for optimal growth and health I recommend keeping and raising guppies in water with temperature between 75-78 °F (24-26 °C). This is the easiest method you could try and it usually works out! Adult guppies will live and thrive on dried food. You’re probably wondering what’s next? When the female guppy is about to give birth, her behavior starts to change a bit. If you don’t see the waste, it does not mean it is not there. The Guppy will continue to grow but their growth rate is relatively slow in comparison to before. Juvenile Stage. If you don’t have time to feed the fry multiple times a day, you can set up an automatic feeder, which will feed them dry food. Otherwise they’ll start multiplying and you’ll end up with multiple tanks. Required fields are marked *. Mix of Blood worms, and crushed flake food. Now you might call me mad. © 2020 FluffyPlanet, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqWcc0hkuY, Guppy Fry (Ultimate Guide) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqWcc0hkuY).