It’s not a big deal — just some recipe notes so you can get in and out of the freezer quickly and not grab or thaw a lot more than you need. This will go perfectly with your easy homemade bread recipe, which we also love! I’ve never tried jalapeno jam before so I’m not sure either! : ). Reduce heat to medium low and boil about 15-20 minutes. Ladle or pour the mixture into containers {I like using jars}, leaving about a 1/2 inch of space at the top and let cool completely. The acidity helps balance the sweetness and gives you a great berry flavor. Before you start pulling summer out of the freezer, think about what you want to make. Place on medium-high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Similarly, I made crockpot blueberry butter (from my much-used copy of Marisa’s brilliant first cookbook) with a couple bags of frozen blueberries shortly after the the stay-at-home order went into effect, to free up some much-needed freezer space. Could I add mint to the mix for a little different rendition? Ladel jam into containers and cool completely. You can make some damned fine jam from frozen fruit. Pulse them in the food processor until you have super small bits of strawberries. On the outside of the freezer bag, jot down not just the fruit it contains, but the weight and the date you froze it, along with anything else you might want to remember, like where you picked it or who gave it to you. Wow thank you so much Kathy! Bring to a boil over … It was way runny, it turned out good. Unsubscribe at any time. If you are using a food processor then they don’t have to be small. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! the family likes when i make this. i am doing frozen rhubarb and frozen apple,I just threw it all in a hugee pot and let it simmer,do i need to drain it? Only acid content can do that. I left them on the counter for a couple hours until they were cool enough to handle the. In terms of how much sugar to use, that’s up to you and your fruit. Jam made from frozen fruit will taste infinitely fresher and more delicious than a six- or seven-month-old jam even if it is made in peak season. LOVE this recipe! When I started to create jams with my frozen summer’s haul, I was of two minds: Mostly, I loved having the luxury of combining so many fruits. All and all, great recipe! Does that change it at all? Then cut the berries down into pieces. Mixed bags of frozen berries are available year round in the freezer … Join us for simple & delicious recipes delivered straight to your inbox each week. I also take the rubber shelf liner that you can often get at a dollar store and cut it and wrap my glass jars with a rubber band around them, so they don’t hit each other and break. Slowly bring the mixture to a boil and continue to boil for 8 minutes or until the jam is thickened. It came out gteat with amore intense flavour. The ability to freeze good fruit is important to me, in part, because we spend the peak preserving month of August far away from home, at our cabin in Alaska. I popped them in the fridge/freezer. Do you have any recipe for mixed berry jam? Cool to set. I have found that labeling my freezer bags with a strip of tape on which to write works well- as long as the bag is clean and dry. It is important to choose a pan that is large enough because the mixture will bubble up and need room to rise. I had strawberries to blend with feijoas when the latter showed up in November. Your email address will not be published. Start with the best. Last year, two things came into my life that changed the way I preserve fruit. I usually use 60%-75% of the weight of the fruit, depending on how much pectin it has (less pectin = more sugar) and how sweet it is to start. Although I make jam regularly, I have never made jam from frozen berries, didn’t know I could) I don’t use added pectin (if I don’t need to) and my jam is a nice balance in consistency (sticks to spoon).I would like to share that when making for gifts, I lessen the sugar and add a … Making strawberry freezer jam has never been easier or more delicious! I want to have some on the shelf and save freezer space. I’ve made this twice and we just love it. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. This is how you avoid things like whole bricks made of blackberries. Hull {or remove green top} and finely chop strawberries. You can make some damned fine jam from frozen fruit. Jelly contains fruit that comes in the form of juice and with jam it is actual crushed fruit. Before you freeze the fruit, cut it to the size you think you’ll want it to be when you use it later, because you probably don’t want to mess around with trying to chop up plum halves or whole, huge strawberries after they’ve been frozen. It is exceptionally delicious on an English Muffin!! I’m also going to boil the bejeezus out of it, so I don’t worry about skipping the wash. (As an aside, some professional jam makers I know and respect don’t wash their organic fruit before jamming it. With fruits like plums, blackberries, or raspberries, however, I like a mix of perfectly ripe and just under, for both the extra pectin and the extra pucker that the less ripe fruits provide. I haven’t tried it with guava but let us know how it goes for you! I absolutely ADORE peach jam, but they have to be very ripe/ sweet in order to make it without pectin. Followed the recipe using raspberries, wild blackberries and Marion berries from our garden. So the ratio described in this post is perfectly safe. Whisk together and add to jam that’s just barely come to a boil. When you leave the jars out on the counter should they be lidded? I detailed how to make the one from Ball a couple years back. The shelf life in the refrigerator however, is anywhere between 1 and 2 weeks. I will be freezing this, and it never lasts long, so it will be fine. Opening the freezer to securely preserved strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, plums, and figs was like diving into a chest of colorful, edible art supplies. Best strawberry freezer jam I’ve made. There’s no perfect ratio for that. Get the air out. The question I always at school is…what is the difference between jam and jelly? So if you’re concerned about pesticide residue you will need to wash your fruit, even the organic stuff. I pick it myself, or I know the people who do. The first time I made it, it was delicious (although I probably should have cooked it an additional 5 minutes to firm it up a bit more, although I really didn’t care if it was a little thin). That’s how I learned to stop doing it, myself. Here’s what you’ll need to make this strawberry jam: –strawberries- the more ripe, the better! Making another batch as I type …, Your email address will not be published. The sweeter the strawberries, the more the natural pectin and the more set the jam gets. I love to give this jam as a gift to friends and neighbors. Isn’t that AWESOME! You can learn about that here. (You're welcome to use any other jar or container you'd like!) Or use a hand blender to blend strawberries to your desired consistency. Gonna try w/ guava’s any advice? Both came out fantastic, will never again buy jam. Worked brilliantly; it’s good to know that frozen fruit can be used to make butters as well as jams. It’s where you put the individual pieces of fruit on trays and freeze them until they’re just solid. Should the lid go on the jar right away? Mine didn’t set up at all and I followed it all. Hitting that peak of ripeness is critical for fruits like strawberries or figs, where a little bit to one side or the other makes all the difference between the jam you want and the one you don’t. Second, it is a natural pectin booster. Canning 101: How to Make Jam With Frozen Fruit + Apricot Meyer Lemon Jam, Canning 101: How to Swap Citric Acid for Lemon Juice and Vice Versa, Instant Shrub Sparkler with Ball® Canning →, https://foodinjars.com/recipe/mixed-berry-jam-from-ball-canning/. Maybe it’s being overcautious, but why not? Discover even more, check out all our recipes below! Place one jar in the fridge to use immediately and place the other jar in the freezer. You absolutely can use non-sweetened frozen fruit to make jam. Leaving space {head space} at the top of the jar allows for the jam to expand as it freezes. Oftentimes they even partially seal from the heat! Then double check the seals. I didn’t lid them and am nervous about making people sick. You are absolutely right, it is never to late to learn something new. Label it now or regret it later. And you can find detailed information about freezing other types of fruit here. Neat, huh? I left the seeds in the jam. First, remember that freezer jam is often softer and needs 24-48 hours to properly set. Remove from heat and transfer to glass canning jars, leaving 1/2″ of space from the top of the jar for expansion when frozen. FREE Printable Recipe Cards + have access to our FREE 15-Minute Meals! The good news is, you can fix it! Slice, dice, and weigh. I will look forward reading more. It shouldn’t change it, but just make sure your fruit is ripe since that’s where the natural pectin comes from! That is high praise! Just fyi. Put all ingredients into a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Fiest time wirhout pectin.. Iwas cery nervous, that it wouldn’t set. However it’s not able to help the jam set without the addition of an acid, enter lemon juice! As the fruit thaws, the sugar nestles it and absorbs the liquid, so you end up with a mixture that is thick, bright, pectin rich (provided you’ve chosen a blend of fruits that provides enough pectin to make a successful jam, which is actually kind of hard not to do) and ready to cook. Thank you Kath. And so tasty! I’m from California. Don’t get it wet. Just run it under warm water to thaw, then cut into chucks and proceed with the recipe. I’m so glad it was great for you too! This post on the best no pectin strawberry jam contains affiliate links, I receive a small amount of compensation if you choose to purchase from my links (for example – as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases). –sugar (about 3/4 cups of sugar for each cup of berries), –lemon juice (2 TBSP lemon juice per cup of berries).