see the pronunciation key for a guide on how to write the sounds; sounds can only be searched in names that have been assigned pronunciations The name MAHLER is spelled similar but from two different origins. 1 decade ago. Yahoo News explains, Obamacare 'saved my life': Americans fret SCOTUS case, Pastor's message to those who contest election results. Search. Regardless of how difficult many of us seem to find pronouncing or spelling some of these traditional Irish surnames, there’s no denying that they’re some of the most beautiful family names about. And there are a few so difficult to pronounce (let alone spell) that even Irish folk struggle! Last but not least... oh boy. Either spelling (Meagher or Maher) can be pronounced either way - I know examples of all combinations of the spelling and pronunciation. Blank ballots: 'I could not give my vote to either person', Hugh Grant talks 'embarrassing' COVID-19 symptom, Virus isn't the only thing keeping people from theaters, ‘Borat 2’ actress speaks out about infamous scene, Heart condition forces Penn State star to retire, There are only 15 lesbian bars left in the entire country, What Trump's defeat means for global populism, Can dead people vote? A list of surnames in which the usage is Irish. This was a highly esteemed Galway clan – descendants of the last Pagan King of Ireland, King Daithi – and the name holds high regard. The name Tobin can sometimes be seen in variable ways such as Torbyn or Tobyn, amongst others. The search results will display: audio, name phonetic and typical gender for the names. i think me-gher. If you’ve ever heard an interview with Oasis, you’ll know exactly what we mean. When I visited Ireland, the closer I got to the place where the name is from the more it was pronounced "Mar", but when I got further away from that area, people pronounced it more like MA-her. But should you choose one of them to call your little one, there’s a chance you may be dooming your child to a lifetime of confused looks from foreigners while abroad. Many people pronounce it MAR as one syllable almost. The name comes is an anglicised version of the Gaelic name O’Beachain, which means descendant of Beachan. This one is pretty inexcusable because it’s actually spelled how it sounds, for once. We’re not denying that there is actually a name “O’Dee”, but that is not a Clare name – as any proud O’Dea will emphatically tell you their surname is. Despite the name reaching the spotlight recently with Derry Girls favourite Nicola Coughlan shooting to fame, some people are still none the wiser about how to pronounce this name. Okay, so this has got to be one of the Irish surnames even Irish people struggle to pronounce. Top 10 Irish surnames even Irish people struggle to pronounce, How to make good feckin’ banana bread (Irish recipe), Top 20 local Irish Christmas gift ideas in 2020. So I'd venture a guess and suggest "Mee-ehr". 1 decade ago. This interesting Irish surname was most notably immortalised by Irish playwright, poet and novelist, Brendan Behan. To listen to the pronunciation of a word, simply type that word into the search box, then click on the required dialect to listen to that dialect’s sound file. When I visited Ireland, the closer I got to the place where the name is from the more it was pronounced "Mar", but when I got further away from that area, people pronounced it more like MA-her. It should be pronounced as “KYOH”. Cork natives tend to turn it into three syllables (Oh-Maaaaahny) so we can’t really complain. Here are the top ten Irish surnames even Irish people struggle to pronounce. Perhaps it’s those pesky silent letters again, or the fact that trying to pronounce a Gaelic name phonetically doesn’t really do much good. Ireland is a land of magic and mysticism, of tall tales and, well, really difficult surnames to pronounce! Mac … see the pronunciation key for a guide on how to write the sounds; sounds can only be searched in names that have been assigned pronunciations Contact us: [email protected], © Copyright 2019 - Ireland Before You Die | Trading under Emerald Green Media. While you might be tempted to pronounce it “Oh-Shaun-Nessy”, like many Americans have been known to do, you should give “Oh-Shock-Nessy” a go instead. I went to school with a Meighan and that name was pronounced with a silent G..."Mee-ahn". MyTribe101 Ltd., Officepods, 15A Main St, Blackrock, Co. Dublin, A94 T8P8, Ireland. Tobin derives from the Gaelic name “Tóibín”, which is the Irish version of St. Aubyn (of French-Norman roots). Answer Save. COPYRIGHT © 2020. Irish Surnames, The Gaelic Irish language has produced some of the most beautiful names around. You’re welcome! As Gaelic names were Anglicized, sometimes they lost their prefixes: Ó Suibhne became “Sweeny.”. How to make good feckin’ banana bread (Irish recipe), Top 20 local Irish Christmas gift ideas in 2020. Soccer stars such as Tim and Gary have put the name in the spotlight in recent years and commentators have rarely, if ever, pronounced it correctly – much to the chagrin of Irish fans. Other variants of this name include Beaghan, O’Behan, O’Beacain and Bean. Can the words given below be considered big words by a native speakers standards. Over generations though, the names dropped the “O’” and the “Mac” and the name is generally seen now without a prefix. Say it like “GALL-Ah-Her”, not “GALL-Ag-Ger”. Vowel Pronunciations Irish vowels are pronounced differently to English vowels. When people who have surnames of Gaelic origin write or say them in the Irish language, they use Mac, Ó, Nic, or Ní as appropriate. Pronounce this one “mo-lock-ney”. A list of submitted surnames in which the usage is Irish. Good evening, I would like to know which sentence is correct (or both)? Variants of this Irish surname include O’Cahill, Kahill, Cawhill and Cahille. 0 … Pronunciation of Irish with 4 audio pronunciations, 16 synonyms, 3 meanings, 10 translations, 20 sentences and more for Irish. Either spelling (Meagher or Maher) can be pronounced either way - I know examples of all combinations of the spelling and pronunciation. O’Shaughnessy. Apply this search to the user-submitted names, search for an exact phrase by surrounding it with double quotes, this field understands simple boolean logic, force a term to be included by preceding it with a, force a term to be excluded by preceding it with a, syllables can only be counted in names that have been assigned pronunciations, names without pronunciations are excluded from results, sounds can only be searched in names that have been assigned pronunciations, names missing pronunciations are excluded from results by default, the "relationship" is how the name relates to its parent name, enter a behindthename.com username to search that user's public personal name lists, to limit your search to a specific list, put the name of the list in brackets after the username. To pronounce it with emphasis on the "ma" (as in "may") is incorrect as is the emphasis on the "hon" (as in "hone") and an Irish person would laugh if you called him Mr. Mayhon or Mr. Mahone. This unusual Irish surname is as rare as it is hard to pronounce. Get your answers by asking now. To the untrained eye, this looks just like any other Irish name. This name trips people up a lot, but it actually has one of the simplest pronunciations on the list. For all of you out of towners here is it broken down! Maher and Meagher are the same name. In fairness, Irish people can’t even decide upon how to pronounce this one. The Irish Post delivers all the latest Irish news to our online audience around the globe. The common go-to mispronunciation for this one is “oh-SHAY”, for Irish and non-Irish alike. Inexcusable. Type in full name and select the appropriate Language. How do you pronounce the irish surname O'Diomasaigh? You’ll find that in Cork they manage to turn it into three syllables (Oh-Maaaaahny). I agree with these two comments. Anonymous. Yet somehow it seems to trip up Irish and non-Irish alike. And the best thing is, wherever you travel in the world with one of these names, you’ll never be mistaken as anything but Irish! Either way, it seems a tough one to pronounce for out-of-towners. http://www.historynet.com/brigadier-general-thomas... Is this correct grammar.? I m just commenting to drown out all the other comments by other people who may confuse it for being German or something else. The tongue-twister derives from the ancient Gaelic sept name O’Maoldhomhnaigh (now try pronouncing that! This is the same as the last name Maher (which is my name) and it s generally either pronounced MA-her (either with Ma as in "Math" or Ma as in "Ma and Pa"), or it s pronounced Mar (like the planet Mars without the "s"). While some say “Kin-SELL-A”, this Irish surname should be pronounced as “KIN-Sel-La”. Although us Irish have been brought up on the stuff since day dot, most foreigners are baffled by Irish surnames, and, the truth is: we can’t blame you! He was not served with notice because he is presently abroad.? Colm can be pronounced either call-um (as in a phone call not cal) or cull-um depending on what part of ireland your in and Sadhbh is pronounced sive Sarah is not an irish but yes it does have an irish equivalent to it Sorcha pronounced Sore-sha or Sor … We highlight the most inspiring experiences Ireland has to offer. Americans, Aussies, and New Zealanders seem to struggle with this one in particular. The name was first spotted in Ireland along the borders of County Donegal and County Tyrone in the ancient region belonging to the O’Neill clan (now Ulster, which is Northern Ireland). While studying toward a Master's in English Literary Studies at Queen's University Belfast, he held the role of Features Editor for The Gown, Belfast's largest independent student newspaper. The trick with this name is on which syllable you place the emphasis. ), which translate in English to mean a servant of the Church of Ireland or servant of God. Beahan. Believe it or not, but there’s no “C” in Doherty. Cahill has to be one of the most contentious Irish surnames of all time. This interesting Irish surname was most notably immortalised by Irish playwright, poet and … This popular Irish name is seen most across County Limerick and County Galway. Is it possible to learn 6 languages until december of 2029? From a young age, nomadic parents placed a strong emphasis on education in real experience and the outdoors - a trait which has carried through her life and into her career. No, it’s not pronounced “COFF-Lan”, “COCK-Lan”, or “COG-Lan”. Believe it or not, but there’s no “C” in Doherty. Originating in County Clare, this name has seen many variations across the Emerald Isle, including including “MacLoughney”, “Maloney”, and “O’Maloney”.