The adult grandchildren in my house would have them demolished in no time if I didn’t cover them. I was just going to cover each bottom cushion using my pinning method that I did on my porch swing – How to Make a No-Sew Cushion Cover, but I did not have had enough quilt fabric to get all the cushions covered that way, so I opted for a fix that has worked perfectly. Trax is adorable…love that he is in almost all of the photos :). 1. i love those big beachy stripes! I would love the Loosefit Square Cushion Boxpleat Slipcover. To join the two pieces together, use a braided trim with a selvage edge (Image 1). We’ll get to that later. I am not a seamstress and don’t pretend to be one. I love a wide blue and white stripe with green just like you have! thank you, Congratulations. I was thinking a mattress pad??? Fold the bottom edge up by ½” and press and then fold it again another ½” pressing in place. wikiHow is a “wiki,” similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. If the fit looks good, continue with the sewing but if the seat looks too big, too small or possibly shaped wrong, adjust the pattern accordingly and remake the sample to test the fit again. One of the better tutorials I’ve seen online for no-sew slipcovers, thanks so much for posting! It is a burnt orange brownish color that is an eye sore when you walk in the house. Pin in place or use paper weights, then cut along the solid lines with scissors. Oh, my goodness, you make this sound so simple and I just know it's not! For comparison, you can also look the photos below to see how I measured my chair. If sewn properly, the braid forms the boundary between the two pieces of fabric, and the ribbon is secured tightly (Image 2). Oh, what a wonderful shop, I SO would love to win the Loosefit Square Cushion Tailored Slipcover Large Sofa in STONE MATELLASE!! Obviously, I’d pick the tailored large white one! The sofa is just muslin and velcro under the covers so I can’t leave it as is but new custom covers aren’t in the budget. I also like you on facebook. Cut out two facing pieces. I was told that drop cloths shrink so washing before you cut it up may save it from not fitting later on. Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. I forgot to mention that I am a Google Friends follower! 3. :), I’m also following you on FB now…thanks so much for the giveaway! To keep a one-piece slipcover from moving and getting un-tucked,  push cardboard tubes into the crevices to hold the extra fabric down. Since it didn’t have tabs to tie. Great tutorial!!!! I want to do my first one. July 30, 2020 by Jane and Sonja Leave a Comment. I do not think Pottery Barn makes them anymore, but you could try Wayfair: http://bit.ly/2bSC1D5 or here: http://bit.ly/2c6RuMB Surefit Slipcovers sells them, too: http://amzn.to/2c1oOlN and here: http://www.surefit.net/shop/categories/sofa-loveseat-and-chair-slipcovers-one-piece/essential-twill-straight-skirt-1pc-slipcovers.cfm?sku=44732. These are beautiful, and your tutorial makes me think I can actually take a stab at this. When talking about reupholstering chairs, or even side or dining chairs, the job is no easy task. Next, sew the seat piece to the front side of the chair back piece with the right sides together using a ½” seam allowance. Take extra care at all the corners to pivot. I have a chair and the drop cloths that have been waiting for me to gather up the nerve to start. I tried this once without a tutorial…hmmm still don't have a slipcovered chair. Every day at wikiHow, we work hard to give you access to instructions and information that will help you live a better life, whether it's keeping you safer, healthier, or improving your well-being. Thank you! Thank you for this tutorial..great ideas, all of them! How to Make a Pet Bed Slipcover From a Flat-Weave Rug, How to Make a Headboard Slipcover with Storage Pocket, How to Make a Headboard Slipcover with No-Sew Piping, How to Replace a Button and Fix a Broken Seam, How to Make a Two-Dimensional Upholstered Headboard, How to Make a Rag Rug Bathmat From Upcycled T-Shirts, How to Make a Christmas Tree Skirt From a Tablecloth. Please consider making a contribution to wikiHow today. Clip the skirt piece at all pivot points slightly to help the fabric form a 90 degree angle and to avoid puckers or pleats in fabric at the corners. Thanks for sharing! Compare the chair measurements below with yours to be sure the pattern will work. That looks incredible. Then I’d make new pillows and change my curtains. Great job! Great tips! However, covering an existing chair cushion with a quick and simple to sew slipcover can give it a totally fresh look. I placed the ottoman back – it acts as a chaise when pushed up against the sofa. It is a little frustrating the first time you put one on. My son has ADHD, Asperger’s Syndrome (autism) and hearing loss. Great job! It is a great way to give a chair a super feminine, pretty look to something more traditional or tailored. I want to add more varieties of Cushion Covers for your home. I have a really thick fur throw tried everything to keep it in place but the screw pins are not long enough for the thickness! We have a hand-me-down couch that was left over from the 60’s and I can’t stand looking at it anymore but can’t afford a new one yet. To create the depth for the chair back to fit within, form a triangle shape at the top corners as shown and stitch across the width making a 1” long stitchline. Heather wraps rubber bands around her tubes. To start, you’ll need to measure your chair and record the measurements. I would choose the Separate Seat Square Cushion Slipcover for large sofa in Parchment or Walnut. Other options could include serging the edges or using a fabric glue. Required fields are marked *. My mom is in desperate need of some slipcovers! This is the case in my wish to have custom slipcovers made for the sofa and chair in my family room. Saved me hundreds of $$! Your email address will not be published. Just what I needed to find – I have two grim and ghastly armchairs and a grim and ghastly sofa that are perfectly serviceable but look awful. Pin and sew the cut-out for the front of the chair onto each of the arm cut-outs where they would naturally meet. I was so excited when I ran upon your tutorial, about the couch seat covers. Thanks! Take care, It turned out wonderful. This will produce a clean finish at the back of the chair. I have an awkward sectional and 6 kids who spill alot! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The slipcovers are Pottery Barn “Seconds” sold from the site, UglySofa.com. My sofa and love seat are desperately crying out for slipcovers. I want one. Learn new craft techniques and tips from the experts. Love your cat Trax, thanks for the tips on slip covering. Filed Under: Sewing Projects Tagged With: diy, furniture upcycle, sewing, sewing patterns for beginners, Hi! I so want to win this ugly sofa give away! Hem all of the four sides 3/8″ from the edge. What a beautiful, easy & fun way to redecorate on a budget!!! Loved your tutorial!! I wish I had a new car. When I wash these cushion covers they are so easy to take on and off. One size fits all or loose fit  slipcovers have been the answer for me. I slipcovered the ottoman much the same way I did this one last year. I have a sofa from Rowe which is made to have slipcovers. Slipcovers can be bought reasonably cheaply (depending on the material and the size of the chair, usually between $20 and $150),[1] I love all things creative, colorful, and DIY. I would love the Seperate Seat for a small sofa – either parchment or cream – my sofa is starting to show it’s age :-), I am also a follower of your blog. I have a couch I bought for $24 at Goodwill, 7 years ago. I cmoarec it with the one I’ve got for my small sofa and thy are the same size so clearly I had the wrong size for my large sofa. Also loved the ugly sofa website….great prices. 7. :), I would choose the square seat slipcover. [email protected], A great tutorial. If your pet's bed is looking worn and tatty, use three flat-weave rugs to create a stylish slipcover for your furry friend's favorite resting spot. And lastly, iron out any wrinkles or creases and slip over the chairs to use. Begin by drafting a pattern that will be used to cut the fabric and facings for the back corners. Any number of options exist. Enter in your email and password to create a FREE account. Swedish tracing paper is easy to see through and doesn’t tend to tear accidentally, but it’s also relatively expensive. I bought my fabric, but I am TERRIFIED to start. What a difference a slipcover makes! It is uneven, but no one sees it. I would love to get the Loosefit Square Cushion Boxpleat Slipcover for my ugly dated sofa. So I’m taking your ideas and doing it your way! This will help you get rid of any wrinkles. Now on to plan B, a nice crisp white slipcover. Really have wanted something solid colored over the current green-red-gold plaid. Love it.Be a sweetie,Shelia . You can see I had to really scrimp on the amount of quilt fabric I had. But, that’s only if you hire someone else to do it! Wow, so expensive. It is no longer in print, but you may be able to find a used copy of it online. Also, stitch the bottom hem with a ½” hem allowance along the entire length of the skirt. Pre-wash and dry the fabric prior to sewing. I do have a machine but, like you, can pretty much sew a straight line.