I’m a guiding teacher now, and for the first eight or nine years of my practice, I sat only the POC retreat, with the exception of one year when I did the women’s retreat. We are currently analysing the impact of using international assessment tools (DELF Prim, Lernlupe, SATs) - which have elements which are constrictive and standardised - within a trilingual primary school programme using mostly the translanguaging and enquiry-based methodologies. 1/30-2/7 – The Path to Awakening: Insight Meditation – JG – Joseph Goldstein, Bart van Melik, Roxanne Dault & Neesha Patel, with Sabra Saperstein (mvmt). When the dharma went to different countries, it took on different forms based on the specific cultures. This interview has been edited for length and clarity. 0000010953 00000 n The curriculum is absolutely important, but I don’t want to reinforce or perpetuate the notion that that’s all it takes to teach the dharma. Please try again. On graduation in 2021, the new cohort of teachers will carry the collective wisdom of their varied life experiences and perspectives into insight meditation communities throughout the world. Ce projet est le fruit d’une collaboration entre deux structures, l’école internationale et multilingue Tandem IMS de Zurich et la fondation Esprit Francophonie, organisatrice de la passation des examens de français langue étrangère DELF DALF pour la Suisse et organisme de formation de formateurs pour le français (didactique et méthodologies). Just one other thing I would add: One of the things that was so affirming was to be sitting in this community of people who are training to become teachers, and it looking like it’s never looked before. with Matthew Hepburn and Ellen McCown (qigong). Nakawe Cuebas Berrios & Devin Berry with Shelly Graf. Pinboards and the use of displays in a bilingual environment. The Dalai Lama 0000006011 00000 n Dawn Scott, Tara Mulay, and Yong Oh with Lissa Edmond (mvmt). 0000059863 00000 n And it was incredibly inspiring to hear the depth of people’s life experience and how the dharma affected them and helped transform their own lives. DaRa Williams, with Tara Mulay, Anne Patrikainen, and Éowyn Ahlstrom (mvmt). This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We interpret the world through language. The Community Dharma Leaders program includes comprehensive training and competencies needed to: The 204 graduates of previous CDL programs have played a significant role in the spreading of the Dharma over the past decade. Visiting Insight teachers are established and well-trained Insight Meditation Teachers who are not members of the SR Teacher’s Council. – Steve Armstrong, Kamala Masters, Deborah Helzer, Tara Mulay. , the cohort is also diverse in age, country of origin, ethnicity, economic background, and gender. I could really focus, relax, learn, and just do my practice. Among the pool of possible trainees, a group of 20 or so will be chosen to be invited into the next 4-6 year training. As long as our culture and society continues in the way it is right now, I don’t see that we’ll be able to do away with the POC, LGBTQI, or any of the affiliate retreats in the near future, because it’s a refuge from the world and what’s going on in it. Cancelled. I didn’t have to engage with many of the silent microaggressions, tensions, and stress that can be experienced as a person of color in a predominantly white environment. Five or six years ago, there may have been two POC. Subscribe now to read this article and get immediate access to everything else. Related: Does Race Matter in the Meditation Hall? Located in Central Massachusetts . We look forward to having them back. And diversity is part of the American culture, even if it’s been very problematic at times. But we want them to support dharma activities in places like South Africa or Canada. 0000093491 00000 n 2/18-2/23 – Clarity, Compassion and Freedom: Insight Meditation – DW – DaRa Williams, Pamela Weiss, Tuere Sala, Shelly Graf, and Nakawe Cuebas Berrios, with Lissa Edmond (mvmt). Yes, basically we get a lot of recommendations from different senior teachers. 0000002872 00000 n and communities where [the dharma] is not even a notion. Aspen IMS for Teachers Training Plan Description: The Aspen IMS lesson plans empower you to get teachers in your district up and running with Aspen IMS using a simple ‘plan, apply, and assess’ methodology. 0000040858 00000 n To find out more about Kalyana Mitta groups in your area, or to start a Kalyana Mitta group, please visit this page or contact Spirit Rock’s Volunteer Office. 0000003081 00000 n 7/5-7/7 – Developing the Mind and Heart: Insight Meditation Retreat – AS – Alexis Santos & Shelly Graf. Each month, the IMS Book Club brings together authors and readers for a facilitated discussion on the featured dharma-book-of-the-month. Once again, all IMS faculty were sponsored to participate, to refresh and reignite our passion for Montessori education. Introducing the IMS Book Club! We’re sorry, there was an error. There is a need for all of us to come to the realization that our differences are what make us strong, not something that need to separate us. – Narayan H Liebenson, Matthew Hepburn, and Devon Hase. 8/27-8/29 – Your Life Is Your Practice: Insight Meditation Weekend – WNL – Narayan H Liebenson with Éowyn Ahlstrom (mvmt). Will be offered online in early April. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. 1/8-1/15 – Foundations of Mindfulness-Based Approaches – FMBA – Yuka Nakamura & Bob Stahl & Christiane Wolf with Antonia Sumbundu. Mm-hm. Subscribe for access to video teachings, monthly films, e-books, and our 29-year archive. This could be a Dharma wave—a new Dharma wave. 0000060188 00000 n I didn’t have to engage with many of the silent microaggressions, tensions, and stress that can be experienced as a person of color in a predominantly white environment. It’s a way in for people, just as it was for DaRa all those years ago. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Over the next few years, a rigorous curriculum, together with mentoring and further training sessions will deepen the trainees’ ability to transmit the Buddha’s teachings of liberation. What distinguishes this cohort from previous teacher trainings is that 75% of the participants identify as persons of color, and the group also reflects a broad representation in terms of gender identity, age, country of origin, ethnicity and economic background. For the past 25 years, Spirit Rock has sponsored these teacher training groups, and trained teachers across the country. Please check your email to confirm your subscription. , or any of the affiliate retreats in the near future, because it’s a refuge from the world and what’s going on in it. hŞb```f``—b`c``)dd@ A Ç0wS;�ÈdĞUĞ< .Áş‚Õ±*óù¼òçX£Ë¤v�n¶Eå�«ãHêóLû}ßúõ. Will be offered online, details coming soon. 0000024284 00000 n 4/30-5/2 – Embodying Kindness and Wisdom: Insight and Lovingkindness Weekend – WRB – Rebecca Bradshaw and Vance Pryor. But the one thing I do know is that anytime you have a community of five white people who were trained with fifteen people of color moving into the system, it’s going to have an immediate impact. 8/6-8/15 – Mindfulness and Insight Meditation: The Mahāsi Method – SA – Steve Armstrong, Kamala Masters, Deborah Helzer, Tara Mulay, and Vance Pryor. 7/17-7/25 – Insight Meditation Retreat for Experienced BIPOC Meditators (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) – EBIPOC – DaRa Williams, Dawn Scott, Tara Mulay, and Yong Oh with Lissa Edmond (mvmt). IBM IMS application programming: Java: exploring… IBM IMS application programming: Java: exploring the JDBC trace From 5500031CVP 5500031CVP on October 14th, 2020 And diversity is part of the American culture, even if it’s been very problematic at times. IMS has been offering People of Color (POC) retreats since 2003 as a way to work toward inclusivity. Goldstein: We had laid out four main areas we wanted to cover. There is a need for all of us to come to the realization that our differences are what make us strong, not something that need to separate us. Instead, every four to six years, retreat teachers from Spirit Rock and associated communities recommend their best candidates – students who they believe have the profound depth of meditation practice, the wisdom, experience, compassion, maturity and teaching temperament to join the next training group. Sharon Salzberg, Winnie Nazarko, Greg Scharf and Oren Sofer with Roxanne Dault. Design by Point Five. I would actually use the words “profound” and “heart-opening.” There was a lot of readiness, openness, and willingness among the students, and for the teachers, it was a manifestation of two years of work. Will be offered online, details coming soon; dates: 2/10 – 2/14. One was the diversity aspect. These groups, which may focus on general meditation and Dharma teaching, or may have a specific focus, such as Kalyana Mitta groups for new parents, for those working with addiction, etc. Will be offered online, same teachers; dates: 1 /8 – 1/13. %%EOF 0000005159 00000 n 0000059289 00000 n Over time we learn to expand that gap." 5/28-6/6 – Liberation of Heart & Mind: Insight Meditation & Lovingkindness Retreat – MM – Michele McDonald and Jesse Maceo Vega-Frey, with Pari Ruengvisesh & Darine Monroy. Others will teach in the many centers and communities established elsewhere. Montessori Teacher Training Support Programme: each year, IMS supports passionate faculty to gain their Montessori teacher training qualification over three summers. This group of trainees is reminiscent of the early seventies when a few of us were in India, getting into the practice, and then coming back to the states see the tremendous growth of the whole mindfulness movement. 474 0 obj <>stream I think there is still an ongoing need and purpose for the POC retreat, especially for people who are newer to the practice. Thich Nhat Hahn Trainees Devon Hase and Roxanne Dault discuss how the program’s diverse cohort and teaching staff has cultivated a deeper understanding of the dharma and how to teach it. This form needs Javascript to display, which your browser doesn't support. Tricycle talks with Insight Meditation Society teachers Joseph Goldstein and DaRa Williams about the center’s commitment to training more teachers of color and how diversity is transforming Buddhism in the West. – Brian Lesage, Greg Scharf, Dawn Scott, Jaya Rudgard, Susie Harrington and Tuere Sala, with Matthew Hepburn and Éowyn Ahlstrom (mvmt). – Narayan H Liebenson with Éowyn Ahlstrom (mvmt). 0000005760 00000 n Parental communication (including the communication between parents and teachers of opposite cultures).