Common Sense and other associated names and logos are trademarks of Common Sense Media, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization (FEIN: 41-2024986). The upbringing, family expectations, respect for the elders, family secrets are very well portrayed in this movie. What to Watch, Read, and Play While Your Kids Are Stuck Indoors, Common Sense Selections for family entertainment, Stoke kids' love of reading with great summer stories, Check out new Common Sense Selections for games, Teachers: Find the best edtech tools for your classroom with in-depth expert reviews, 5 consejos para hablar con tus hijos sobre las elecciones, Which Side of History? The percentage of users who rated this 3.5 stars or higher. FAQ Very heartwarming and an interesting perspective. We won’t be able to verify your ticket today, but it’s great to know for the future. It only perpetuates the idea that being gay is dirty and hurts your family and you have to lie about your life and stay in the closet. Recommended for anyone who wants to learn about Chinese family values. As a gay person, who fights for LGBT rights and the right to be seen as equal, normal, and as a person who tries to educate people around me and put myself out there so people around me start getting used to gay people and seeing and knowing gay people, this "documentary" is really annoying. | Sidney Poitier’s 7 Most Memorable Performances, All Harry Potter Movies Ranked Worst to Best by Tomatometer. Verified reviews are considered more trustworthy by fellow moviegoers. All In My Family | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix - YouTube Joel … A grown up male, still being manipulated by his family who sees being gay as a shameful thing that must be hidden and that it's so wrong. Timely, effective YA-based tale about LGBTQ teens. What would be the challenges in filming one's own family members for a documentary like All in My Family? Your privacy is important to us. All in My Family paints a heartfelt portrait of how familial love carries and changes across cultures and generations of traditions. Keep checking Rotten Tomatoes for updates! We didn't quite get to the stage of telling grandpa but I think he knew more than they realised. We want to hear what you have to say but need to verify your email. Be the first to review this title. The honesty in the presentation is what makes this a standout documentary. Parents need to know that All in My Family is a short 2019 documentary about a Chinese filmmaker trying to come out as gay to his traditional and socially conservative extended family. The documentary manages to convey so much in such a short time. Our ratings are based on child development best practices. While the documentary is centered on a specific family and culture, director Hao Wu's honest presentation of the apprehensions faced when trying to be true to yourself despite fearing the possible lack of acceptance … Just confirm how you got your ticket. By creating an account, you agree to the Privacy Policy | Honest docu on coming out to a traditional Chinese family. While All in My Family chronicles filmmaker Hao Wu's attempts at coming out to his extended family -- including an elderly grandfather who continues to exhort Wu to find the right woman, marry her, and have kids -- what emerges is that some things will never change. How Technology Is Reshaping Democracy and Our Lives, Participate in DigCit Week with your kid by using curated activities from Wide Open School, Online Playdates, Game Nights, and Other Ways to Socialize at a Distance, Keeping Kids Motivated for Online Learning, Set limits for violence and more with Plus, 5 Tips to Make Family Movie Night a Success. Your purchase helps us remain independent and ad-free. Common Sense Media, a nonprofit organization, earns a small affiliate fee from Amazon or iTunes when you use our links to make a purchase. Don't have an account? While the documentary is centered on a specific family and culture, director Hao Wu's honest presentation of the apprehensions faced when trying to be true to yourself despite fearing the possible lack of acceptance from beloved relatives could inspire discussion -- particularly between LGBTQ parents and/or kids -- about the real challenges in "coming out" to more conservative family members. A very well done film about Hao's journey to navigate a traditional family as a gay man. The star rating reflects overall quality. All In My Family – Netflix Short Documentary Review May 3 Greg Wheeler A Wave Of Change The world is changing all the time. There aren't any reviews yet. We display the minimum age for which content is developmentally appropriate. We won't share this comment without your permission. Trailer JustWatch. As the documentary moves along I felt sympathy for his mother as she clearly struggled with her love for her son and her traditional views but I was delighted when she started being honest both about her sons sexuality and her grandchildrens conception. User Ratings Families can talk about documentaries centered on the lives of LGBTQ people. We're updating our reviews to better highlight authentic stories and accurate, diverse representations. Forgot your password? As soon as he could do so, Wu relocated to America, where he was free to be exactly who he was. All in My Family. and the Terms and Policies, Your AMC Ticket Confirmation# can be found in your order confirmation email. Kudos to Wu Hao for this beautiful work. Coming Soon. Featuring Jennifer Lopez in her first major big-screen role, Gregory Nava's My Family traces three generations of the Sanchez's, a Mexican-American family living in East Los Angeles. External Reviews | © Common Sense Media. The percentage of Approved Tomatometer Critics who have given this movie a positive review. We want to hear what you have to say but need to verify your account. There are no critic reviews yet for All In My Family. All In My Family is a fine look at how modern, western sensibilities butt up against ingrained biases in cultures that have been around for millennia. I will self-disclose I am not of Asian descent, so I do not have a perspective of the film maker. Cinemark Please click the link below to receive your verification email. The filmmaker is a gay Chinese man living in America with his partner and soon to be two children while his very traditional family still live in China. Just leave us a message here and we will work on getting you verified. I stumbled across this fairly short documentary on Netflix and I'm glad I did. | Fresh (2). Coming Soon, Regal See our. There are no approved quotes yet for this movie. This is, in my recollection, the first documentary that showed a chinese gay couple with childrens through surrogacy have to face the 'traditional' chinese family, dogmas, and an interesting dynamics with elderly family members. The entire movie is about how "affected" is his homofobic family by his "gayines". Join now. You're almost there! The storyline itself is refreshing but real. Metacritic Reviews. When the children come along, his mother is clearly a doting gran but still worries about the children being brought up without a female parent. All in My Family ; Where to watch. The film itself was well done, with engaging content and family members. Skip this lame movie. In the end, love wins - maybe not right away and on the terms you might want it but it still wins. Moving, mature conversion-therapy drama has strong cast. In terms of content, there's infrequent profanity ("bulls--t") and some drinking. Parents: Set preferences and get age-appropriate recommendations with Common Sense Media Plus. Get full reviews, ratings, and advice delivered weekly to your inbox. The importance of being true to oneself, even if it may run counter to the values of family members. All rights reserved. Many Asians can relate to the story. All in all, a lovely little documentary and well worth a watch. Thank you for your support. Wu later came out to his immediate family, and while they continued to love him, Wu's homosexuality was particularly difficult for his mother, a domineering and opinionated woman who had no real conception of homosexuality. and to receive email from Rotten Tomatoes and Fandango. By opting to have your ticket verified for this movie, you are allowing us to check the email address associated with your Rotten Tomatoes account against an email address associated with a Fandango ticket purchase for the same movie. Cinemark Parents need to know that All in the Family features a main character who is racist and homophobic -- and was recognized as such even when the show initially aired in the '70s. Parents need to know that All in My Family is a short 2019 documentary about a Chinese filmmaker trying to come out as gay to his traditional and socially conservative extended family. | They won't be able to see your review if you only submit your rating. Common Sense Media's unbiased ratings are created by expert reviewers and aren't influenced by the product's creators or by any of our funders, affiliates, or partners. Against this conservative cultural backdrop, Wu and his partner are about to be the parents of two children in the wombs of surrogate mothers. Wondering if All in My Family is OK for your kids? Coming Soon. As he began to realize that he was gay, he had no support or understanding of it except for a textbook that claimed that homosexuality was a form of mental illness. What parents need to know. Hao Wu explains in ALL IN MY FAMILY that while growing up in China, he knew that he was somehow "different" from those around him. The image is an example of a ticket confirmation email that AMC sent you when you purchased your ticket. I watched this movie 3 times, I loved it that much. ", Parents and caregivers: Set limits for violence and more with Plus. I enjoyed it immensely. It would be easy to imagine less skilled (or more narcissistic) filmmakers trying to pad this story into a feature-length documentary. Regal This 10-digit number is your confirmation number. This is, in my recollection, the first documentary that showed a chinese gay couple with childrens through surrogacy have to face the 'traditional' chinese family, dogmas, and an interesting dynamics with elderly family members. Just below that it reads "Ticket Confirmation#:" followed by a 10-digit number.