It was a little time consuming but turned out very delicious! 1 1/4 pounds well-marbled chuck beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks, Read more about our affiliate linking policy, 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 7 cups), 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled carrots and/or parsnips (3 to 4 carrots or parsnips). Bring mixture to a simmer. Please try again later. Also I use 1.5 small cans of tomato paste to thicken it up. Elise is a graduate of Stanford University, and lives in Sacramento, California. Its a casserole of indeterminate origin which might be delicious but is not Irish. Discard the bay leaves. Set aside until the beef stew in step 2 has simmered for one hour. This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners; your purchases via these links can benefit Simply Recipes. Read more about our affiliate linking policy. Hello! Making it again tonight! Sauté the onions and carrots until the onions are golden, about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to the lowest setting, then cover and cook at a bare simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. An excellent, hearty stew. https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a26258692/irish-stew-recipe Pull up a chair! I omitted the water because the guinness, wine and beef broth provided enough liquid and I didnt want to water down the flavours. Next time I think I will use 2 lbs of stew beef. Add the onions and carrots. I used about 2 1/2 tablespoons of tomatoe paste and added a teaspoon of Knorr bovril sauce to give the stew another layer of flavour. You are in luck! Delicious flavor though! Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. I’ve not made this, but that amount would give me pause. Made with venison and have made with beef a few times since. It’s always possible to add more later on, anyway–but you can’t take it out! But i can see the potential of this recipe if next time i don’t put as much or no thyme at all. Although a typical Irish recipe would use lard, I chose to use extra virgin olive oil instead. Readers, whatever you are making and enjoying, I hope your St. Patrick’s Day is wonderful. But the choice is up to you. Add the beef stock, water, Guinness, red wine, tomato paste, sugar, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, and bay leaves. If making with lamb, what meat cut works best? Elise launched Simply Recipes in 2003 as a way to keep track of her family's recipes, and along the way grew it into one of the most popular cooking websites in the world. Pat dry the beef with paper towels and working in batches, add the beef (do not crowd the pan, or the meat will steam and not brown) and cook, without stirring, until well browned on one side, then use tongs to turn the pieces over and brown on another side. Thank you! This is definitely the BEST stew I have ever had…and my husband LOVED it!! The last is the case with this Irish beef stew. This particular stew has all of the classic trimmings of a good Irish stew—meat, stock, plenty of root vegetables—with the addition of some Guinness extra stout, for its malty flavor and some Irish authenticity. Delicious with the wine and beer combo. It’s the first time I’ve made Irish beef stew. Lean stew meat will end up too dry. Added some more carrots than recipe. 1 Brown the beef: Sprinkle about a teaspoon of salt over the beef pieces. on Amazon, $18.00 Under no circumstances is either red wine or garlic, tomato paste (Italian) or Worcestershire sauce (English) or sugar (?) I am not a stew fan…but this is excellent!! I’m never sure where to sit on it, but I will certainly not turn down a shamrock cookie. I also reduced the amount of potatoe to approx. It was really good but next time I’ll make it thicker as it was more of a hearty soup. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Save prep time by prepping the onions, carrots, and potatoes while the stock with beef is simmering in step 2. 4 Add onions, carrots, potatoes to beef stew, simmer: Add the onions, carrots, and the potatoes to the beef stew. I dredged the beef cubes in cornstarch and then seared. Incredibly tasty! Very true, 1 tablespoon is a lot of dried thyme! As any Irish person will tell you, lamb is the preferred meat for a good Irish stew. Remove … Lovely recipe, but this most definitely is not Irish Stew. Elise is dedicated to helping home cooks be successful in the kitchen. We have an Instant Pot Guinness Beef Stew recipe right here on the site. Transfer stew to serving bowls. Every time we make this recipe it gets raves! I did make a few changes. Heat oil in a heavy based pot over high heat. Elise Bauer is the founder of Simply Recipes. I just served it with hot out of the oven garlic buns. Put 1 TEAspoon instead. I’m no Irish food scholar, but I do know many of the dishes we Americans like to bust out in March to get our Irish on are not authentically Irish; they’re either reflections of Irish-American traditions, or simply frivolous fancies (e.g. Thank you for making this important point, Donna. <3, Ive made this several times and use 2.5 lbs of beef and 10 oz ginger ale instead of beer. The recipe originally came to me through my friend Tomas, who got it from a chef friend in Europe, who had adapted a Bon Appetit recipe for Irish stew by adding Guinness and some red wine. Best stew I’ve ever had. All photos and content are copyright protected. Hi Keith, I use lamb shoulder or lamb shank when making stew. The enthusiasm and sentiment many Americans hold for these foods is touching, though. Add beef in batches and brown well all over. I’ve made this every year for the past 5 years. Thanks for reading and cooking with us! I’m glad you made the call to reduce the amount to 1 teaspoon. Trust me the thyme is way too overbearing. Once the beef is browned on all sides, remove it from the pot and set aside. Heat the olive oil in a large (6 to 8 quart), thick-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. $40.61 (69% savings) We’re here to help you put dinner (and breakfast and lunch) on the table with less stress and more joy. 4 cups. Sorry, our subscription service is unavailable. I usually cook it bone-in, and then remove the bones later. I made it yesterday, of course and everyone loved it!! ever in an Irish stew.An Irish stew was made by very poor people with only what came to hand and the above was most surely not it. Pat dry the beef with paper towels and working in batches, add the beef (do not crowd the pan, or the meat will steam and not brown) and cook, without stirring, until well browned on one side, then use tongs to turn the pieces over and brown on another side. Try that, or adapt the recipe above using the Guinness recipe as a guide. This is so delicious!! Your comment may need to be approved before it will appear on the site. Wayyyy to much thyme. Can this recipe be converted to an instant pot recipe? We all loved it! Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Sprinkle with parsley and serve. How to Make Irish Beef Stew. Served to dinner guest in March, of course, and completed were heartily exchanged. Please use beef chuck stew meat that is well marbled with fat. Tilt pan and spoon off any excess fat. Have these ingredients delivered or schedule pickup SAME DAY! Figure I try a new beef stew recipe for St. Patrick’s Day and made it today to see how it was, well it’s a hit! on Amazon. Thanks for waiting. I reduced the thyme to 1 teaspoon. Perfect recipe. Americans have a curious way of celebrating St. Patrick’s Day. Please review the Comment Policy. Toss beef cubes with flour to coat, then fry in the … I will definitely be making this recipe again. shamrock sugar cookies with green icing). The first step in making this beef stew recipe is to brown the beef. Add black pepper and two teaspoons of salt. Simmer uncovered until vegetables and beef are very tender, about 40 minutes. The trick is to carmalize the beef while browning it, so I do 8 minutes and then turn it and another 8 min for 2 batches, This is a great recipe. Excellent point. But here in the states we eat a lot more beef than lamb, so when we want to make a stew to celebrate all things Irish, it’s usually done with beef. We pinch each other if we forget to wear something green, we make green foods regardless if they have anything to do with Ireland, and we adapt traditional Irish recipes to our own taste. Irish stew recipe made with beef, garlic, stock, Irish Guinness beer, red wine, potatoes, carrots, and onions. 2 Add garlic and sauté, then add stock, water, Guinness, wine, tomato paste, sugar, thyme Worcestershire, bay leaves, simmer: Add garlic to the pot with the beef and sauté 30 seconds or until fragrant. First time commenting? Have made it multiple times. Look elsewhere if you want an authentic Irish stew but by all means cook away for a tasty dinner. What changes are necessary? Did you know you can save this recipe and order the ingredients for. Best stew I’ve had.The variety of potatoe we used did not break down into the stew so added a little flour to thicken.Thanks for the recipe, I’ll be able to make my Irish mum proud next time she comes over :p. Absolutely amazing. Stir to combine. 3 Sauté onions, carrots in separate pan: While the pot of meat and stock is simmering, melt the butter in another pot over medium heat.