As a general rule of thumb, these are the timings I aim for when slow cooking meat; As we’re using chopped meat, rather than a big joint, it may be ready a little sooner than these timings. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. There must 27 bazillion different recipes out there for this. Sizzle the bacon until crisp, tip … But as slow cooking takes ALL the hassle out of getting dinner on the table, it’ll make the perfect end to those long days out exploring. It’s the perfect size for 1-2 people, however if you are a family of around 4 I would recommend a 3.5 litre slow cooker. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Tip all the ingredients into a slow cooker. This post may contain affiliate links. And if a family was strapped for cash, then no doubt rabbit or hare would have been the meat of choice, as these were freely available to all that could hunt. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. You saved Simple Slow Cooker Irish Stew to your. This slow cooker Irish stew tastes like it’s straight from the Emerald Isle. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. I love how easy this is! Being from an older sheep (2 year plus), the meat is tougher, stronger in flavour, and fattier. I’m all for hearty winter meals and we just can’t ever get enough of soups, stews and chilis at our house. Now obviously I’m only going to be able to use that teeny one when we are parked up on a campsite that has electric hookup. You don;t need to cover all the ingredients. Ridiculously easy delicious stew. I received this recipe when I was in the third grade. Thanks so much for supporting the work that we do here on hedgecombers.com :), Filed Under: All Recipes, Autumn Recipes, Campervan Recipes, Campfire Recipes, Dairy Free Recipes, Frugal Recipes, Gluten Free, Lamb Recipes, Paleo/Whole30 Recipes, Slow Cooker Recipes, The Kitchen, Winter Recipes. Add flour, … Perfect for after a long hike or a day out adventuring. The biggest slow cooker (6.5 litre) is for large joints, batch cooking and bone broth. I’ll give yours a try. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition From tasty wholesome meals to simple camping recipes, I guarantee a real foodie adventure! This Irish Stew is just like how my Irish mum makes it. Feel free to browse my recipes and hopefully you’ll find some new family favourites in my archives! 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, or as needed. My name’s Jane and I’m a slow-cooker … And as with all traditional recipes, every family will enjoy theirs a little bit differently. Required fields are marked *. My first choice for a slow cooker Irish stew would have been mutton. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. And I love the idea of you using the teeny tiny slow cooker in Myrtle! It makes for a warming, stick-to-your-ribs meal. We breed Muscovy ducks for eggs and meat and have laying hens in the garden. My kids to love all the combination in making this amazing stew. And your composition is on point! It really is Kate, not sure why I haven’t done this before! Pour in enough water to come halfway up the pot. If you would like to thicken the gravy, in a glass or cup, stir a little cold water into the cornflour to make a smooth paste. The middle one (3.5 litre) is my original slow cooker and is used for ‘normal’ slow-cooked meals. Will make this one again! A low-and-slow stew might seem like the kind of dinner you have to babysit all day, but making a traditional lamb stew doesn’t need to be difficult. Lamb neck is a cheaper cut of meat and something I love about this simple stew is that it is great for keeping food budgets down, with just carrots, potatoes and onions as the other key ingredients. 394 calories; protein 22.4g 45% DV; carbohydrates 33.2g 11% DV; fat 19g 29% DV; cholesterol 62.6mg 21% DV; sodium 292.6mg 12% DV. You just can’t beat a tasty bowl of Irish stew. Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium … Pour this into the slow cooker and stir well. So if you are particularly ravenous, it may be worth trying a little sooner. I’m Janie, I’m a food writer, photographer and recipe creator. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Meat, veggies and a stock cube kinda simple. So, let’s talk about an Irish Stew recipe. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Perfect for after a long hike or a day out adventuring. It makes for a warming, stick-to-your-ribs meal. Our teacher made this for us in class on St. Patrick's Day, and I've made this very simple, hearty meal every year in March since then. There. This looks absolutely delicious. Here’s a link to the tiny little slow cooker I bought. So instead he recommended lamb neck, which was just perfect. The timings can be reduced again for a vegetarian version of this recipe. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. If they were on a smaller income, then lamb or mutton would have been used. Learn how your comment data is processed. Read More…. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Simple Slow Cooker Irish Stew Simple Slow Cooker Irish Stew… And as all other slow cooker addicts will know, as the steam is contained within the slow cooker, you can safely leave your meal cooking for much longer than these time guides without fear of it burning, drying out or ruining your dinner. I share my home with Jonny and a little black rescue cat called Sassy. Transfer browned meat to the insert of a slow cooker. Your recipe comes just in time! I see lots of recipes with all sorts of veggies and extras added, but your version looks just how it’s supposed to be. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add oil. An excellent base recipe for anyone looking to make stew :), Congrats! Pop the lid back on and leave for 5 minutes to thicken. This delicious Slow Cooker Irish Stew is easy to make and is hearty and packed with goodness!