I don't want to overload myself, so I want to choose the easier of the two. From what I've noticed, part 1 emphasizes the importance of using Taylor Series to develop an intuition about the behavior of a function at limits such as 0 and infinity. Insights and guidance from experts that will smooth the path during your college admissions journey. I'd like to give a you guys an overview of the course, and my experience through this journey. Loved it and will definitely be looking into the multivariable videos soon. This brisk course covers the core ideas of single-variable Calculus with emphases on conceptual understanding and applications. what a silly university lecturer, what is that tone?!!! Also he sounds like a computer and the whole thing is just a shit show. It's an amazing course. Learnt a lot and gained deeper insights into the calculus. It will be abit easier and slowed down so you should be able to throw down A's in it (assuming you are prepared, etc). Great tips and tricks and background information. So I just completed a Discrete Calculus course, offered by UPenn, through Coursera. The coupon code you entered is expired or invalid, but the course is still available! There are assignments in this course that leave the student unprepared to pass based on the material. Following that, there is a very comprehensive study of convergence of series. College Confidential. I cannot overemphasize how bad this course is. That was a brilliant journey through Single Variable Calculus-land. I had a blast learning about them. It was also my first time learning about topics like orders of growth and big-oh, forward differences, Fibonacci and Pell sequences, falling powers and discrete calculus. He is here to answer your hardest application questions. Things will be a bit more complicated, and if you take it as a college class you might have less time to pick up the material. Looking forward to Multivariable Calculus by Prof. Ghrist. Loved it ! Are you talking about the difference between Math 170a and Math 175? But MVC isn't going to be that much different than what you've actually done before. A fantastic course. Finally, part 5 introduces discrete calculus. Thanks for the MOOCs but this guy needs to change or go. The course is ideal for students beginning in the engineering, physical, and social sciences. This might be review for some. Distinguishing features of the course include: 1) the introduction and use of Taylor series and approximations from the beginning; 2) a novel synthesis of discrete and continuous forms of Calculus; 3) an emphasis on the conceptual over the computational; and 4) a clear, dynamic, unified approach. As to the material, the course begins with Taylor series without giving any explanation for how Taylor series work. Man, it's going to be a difficult schedule... Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. 170 on the other hand works with series and sequences for the first few weeks and then you hit the multivariable stuff very late in the semester. An excellent course, very challenging, but doable and enjoyable. ASIANS AT VANDERBILT? Life is hard enough! Learners in this course can earn a certificate in the series by signing up for Coursera's verified certificate program and passing the series' final exam. I xould really love to take another ! Which Is Harder, Single-Variable Calculus III or Multivariable Calculus? Math 175 is a much more condensed version of the 170 sequence. Needing to listen to these lectures makes it nearly impossible to penetrate through to the material itself. I do not recommend this course to anyone in his/her right mind, specially for such a challenging topic in calculus. The instructor speaks in a bizarre, halting cadence that in no way tracks natural speech, and more closely resembles The Twilight Zone's introduction monologue as delivered by your eager-but-untalented uncle. I kind of of fell in love with math with Prof. Ghrist help. A complex and completely new course of Mathematics. Prof/G developed a great approach to make complex things clear and simple. How does lifetime access sound? The course starts now and never ends! Want to see how it looks before the big move? Life is hard enough! Calculus is one of the grandest achievements of human thought, explaining everything from planetary orbits to the optimal size of a city to the periodicity of a heartbeat. Professor Ghrist is a really good teacher and so I would recommend this course to anybody who wants to learn a different aspect of calculus. NOTE: the course assumes you have covered basic calculus upto AP calc AB. The difficulty in Challenges is quite cool while the homework problems and the tests are reasonable. which makes concentrating on the material that is being taught almost impossible. This course is tricky and also excellent. He got me interested in taking a course on each one of these subjects. Homework and exam problems were challenging and helped solidify my understanding of the material. In this fifth part--part five of five--we cover a calculus for sequences, numerical methods, series and convergence tests, power and Taylor series, and conclude the course with a final exam. this Vedio lesson and animation very helpfull. Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers. Can someone please help? For my freshmen year, I don't know which Calculus course to choose. The tone of the lecturer is mocking and silly! I couldn't take calculus at university and this course offered me an opportunity to cover most of the topics in single variable calculus. I thought it was a joke voice but he kept doing it. Kudos to Prof. Ghrist for making this a fun, interesting and challenging ride at the same time. Med schools like 2 semesters of non organic intro chemistry. This was a great course. Can someone please help? Basically, continuous calculus, retaught with the perspective of series, in a discretized, non continuous setting. In this course a college grad explains in an easy to follow manner all the ins and outs of working on Single Variable Calculus. We can't wait to share it with you soon. This whole series is just amazing. Absolutely horrible!