Johannine Writings Word Origin a prim. General Epistles But he has made us free through Christ (Romans 3:22-23) God promises to send a king that would rule wisely and who will do what is right and just. If you think that God will ignore the evil and the arrogance of our days, you have to know that the day of punishment will certainly come, the same why it came to the people of Judah. For example, when Yeshua decried the hardness of heart of the people of Capernaum, He said: "For if the mighty works done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day" (Matt. Poetical Books nacham, to be "eased" or "comforted." Wisdom Literature We hear preachers use it in sermons, and we sing it during hymns and songs: "Guide me, O Thou great Jehovah, Pilgrim through this barren land. A verification email has been sent to the address you provided. You exist inside this truth as a passion and this truth informs all of the decisions you make in life.The idea that we can genuinely appeal to God is central to the idea of teshvuah, or "repentance." The literal meaning of the name is "I am the one who is" (Dictionary.com) or, more simply, "I am." verses in the Hebrew concordance of the KJV Reiki is a beautiful healing art offering beneficial, calming, balancing and stress-reducing effects. The idea that such a mighty and immense God desires to be close to us inspires humility and praise in my heart. Hebrew Name: Jehovah Rapha English Name: The Lord your Healer Key Reference: Exodus 15:26 Strong’s Numbers: 3068, 7495 3. The prophet Isaiah invoked the name, usually in the context of praise and worship: "Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation." But the essence is the same. This is a thorough bible study about the meaning of the Hebrew word נָחַם, 'nacham' translated 'relent or comfort' (Strong's 5162), and gives every verse where the Hebrew word "nacham" appears. IThe literal meaning of the name is "I am the one who is" (Dictionary.com) or, more simply, "I am." they are almost ready to stone me.' Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon - New American Standard, California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information, to be sorry, console oneself, repent, regret, comfort, be comforted, to be sorry, be moved to pity, have compassion. The Hebrew view of God is that of a Living Person, a Speaking Word, and a Fiery Breath broods that over the events of the physical world.The idea that God can "repent," then, is connected with His intimate interaction with His creation, and in particular, with His people. They decreed it should only be spoken by the high priest during the designated Day of Atonement, one of Israel's major holy festivals. The first use of nacham reflects the meaning of the name Noah - "Now he called his name Noah, saying, “This one shall give us rest from our work and from the toil of our hands arising from the ground which the LORD has cursed.” (Ge 5:29) In Ge 6:6-7 Jehovah said he … (from 'Days of Elijah'). For, lo, thine enemies make a tumult...That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth." By proceeding, you consent to our cookie usage. Names of Jehovah 1. Not only is Christ the greatest "Wonder of God" but He is the one who has done and would do "Wonders" in his people. The Whole Bible A change in man's conduct brings about a change in God's judgment" (The Prophets, p. 194). Moses' intercession caused God to "repent" (i.e., nacham: נָחַם), or to change His intent regarding executing judgment upon the people of Israel for the sin of the Golden Calf (Exod. Pentateuch nacham: to be sorry, console oneself. The Hebrew mind seemed less preoccupied with static and unchanging essences than with the (dynamic) formation of the character of the person (resulting in a sense of obligation to "restore" the world). "Thriving with Chronic Illness", This site is a proud member of the Salem Web Network, a subsidiary of, Copyright © 2020, Crosswalk.com. 12:1, 40:1, 52:9. In the 13th century, the earliest Latin form of this word was introduced, which in English became "Jehovah.". So, why not to think of Christ as that “wonderful counselor” as stated by the apostle Peter when he said, “you alone have the words of eternal life”. -------------------- Jehovah is one of the ways of saying YHWY, the true, personal name of God. Most Christians are familiar with the word Jehovah. Latin Vulgate, Would not God's Name be profaned among the Egyptians if the LORD destroyed bnei Yisrael (the children of Israel) after leading them out of bondage? Article Images Copyright © 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. If we take the time to reflect on what "Jehovah" is meant to convey, we can't help but be changed. ), Summary: In the O.T., repentance is the English word used to translate the Heb. Christ himself is therefore identified as that “wonder” because we could say that Christ is “the wonder of God in person”. I have a question about the proper translation of the Hebrew word nacham (H5162) found in the OT. GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, Select a Beginning Point Please see Blue Letter Bible's Privacy Policy for cookie usage details. Major Prophets Pauline Epistles 32:9). Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. Blue Letter Bible is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, Currently on page 1/2 (Gen 5:29–Isa 1:24), David Guzik :: Génesis 14 – Abram Rescata a Lot y Conoce a Melquisedec, G1 - alpha - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV), David Guzik :: Hechos 9 – La Conversión de Saulo de Tarso, David Guzik :: 1 Corintios 7 – Principios Sobre el Matrimonio y la Soltería, A Summary of Each Bible Book - Study Resources, Chuck Smith :: Sermon Notes for Matthew 7:6, David Guzik :: Génesis 3 – La tentación y caída del hombre, Jehovah's Witnesses, Jesus and the Holy Trinity (Walter Martin), Exodus 16-18 (1979-82 Audio) (Chuck Smith), Revelation 7-9 (1982-85 Audio) (Chuck Smith), Intro. http://www.gospelfortoday.bibleanalytics.ca, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AKLR0qY-xk&list=PL46821BED906A4CDB&index=25, Grace & Peace be multiplied unto you, in Jesus. (Exodus 6:3 KJV). Historical Books May you be blessed with a new appreciation for the word Jehovah—knowing what a precious gift it was between God and His people. Learning more about the name of God goes beyond being a simple study. "Let them know that you, whose name is the LORD—that you alone are the Most High over all the earth." Johannine Writings (Isaiah 12:2), "Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength." (Niphal) to be sorry, be moved to pity, have compassion. Historical Books The Lord who smites. "And in that day thou shalt say, O Lord, I will praise thee: though thou wast angry with me, thine anger is turned away, and thou comfortedst me. Poetical Books My main point is that God does not ever change His mind, or repent. Christian Standard Bible, naw-kham'. "Today is the day of salvation." New American Standard Bible, His nature or character is immutable, that is, it has never worsened or bettered - it remains the same. Moses is transformed by this experience at the burning bush. The evil and the proud will get what they deserve. The result over time was that the original vocalization of God's name began to fade from people's minds. He also said, “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and acts on them, will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock” (Matthew 7). Die Zeugen Jehovas (Eigenbezeichnung: Jehovas Zeugen; englisch Jehovah’s Witnesses) sind eine christliche, chiliastisch ausgerichtete und nichttrinitarische Religionsgemeinschaft, die sich kirchlich organisiert.Sie bezeichnen ihre innere Verfassung als theokratische Organisation. Or speak and then not carry it out? The Old Testament נָחַם nâcham, naw-kham'; a primitive root; properly, to sigh, i.e. That name means "Jehovah saves." Moreover, what about the covenant promises God made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (i.e., brit avot)? Through all the adaptations and transitions, the underlying intent was that God would be revered above all—and that His name would be treated with the highest respect. Revised Standard Version, God can change His mind..if ye have seen the son,ye have seen the Father. Historical Books So how do we respond to Your grace and mercy? 3:6), the verb translated "change" is shaniti (שָׁנִיתִי), which comes from the verb shanah (שָׁנָה) meaning "to repeat, to do again." GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, (Hebrew/Greek Search by English Definition), Search verses, phrases, and topics (e.g. -------------------- "That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth." (In his prophesy of the coming Savior, Isaiah 7:14 predicted the birth of Jesus by using the name Immanuel, which also means "God with us."). The Logos is complete, but it is not completely understood. Definition. Minor Prophets "And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. We'll discuss the original Hebrew, plus the words and names Jehovah is related to, plus the occurences of this name in the Bible. Let us give ourselves, for that is what Your Word says You really want: our hearts, minds, and spirits. "In that day shall this song be sung in the land of Judah; We have a strong city; salvation will God appoint for walls and bulwarks...Trust ye in the Lord for ever: for in the Lord Jehovah is everlasting strength…" (Isaiah 26:1, 4). GenesisExodusLeviticusNumbersDeuteronomyJoshuaJudgesRuth1 Samuel2 Samuel1 Kings2 Kings1 Chronicles2 ChroniclesEzraNehemiahEstherJobPsalmsProverbsEcclesiastesSong of SongsIsaiahJeremiahLamentationsEzekielDanielHoseaJoelAmosObadiahJonahMicahNahumHabakkukZephaniahHaggaiZechariahMalachiMatthewMarkLukeJohnActsRomans1 Corinthians2 CorinthiansGalatiansEphesiansPhilippiansColossians1 Thessalonians2 Thessalonians1 Timothy2 TimothyTitusPhilemonHebrewsJames1 Peter2 Peter1 John2 John3 JohnJudeRevelation, The Whole Bible Prophets The KJV translates Strong's H5162 in the following manner: comfort (57x), repent (41x), comforter (9x), ease (1x). Reina-Valera 1960, In this passage, Isaiah lifts up praise to the Lord for forgiving His people when they repent, and for restoring their relationship to Him. Pentateuch It is rather a matter of being true in the sense that you are living it, you are "one with it," you are part of it. In other words, our relationship to God is not "prewritten," and therefore we can appeal to God for mercy and grace. Our website uses cookies to store user preferences. Indeed, the Hebrew word for "year" is shanah, referring to the cycle of the moedim or seasons (Gen. 1:14). Minor Prophets The Gospels For other occasions, the name Adonai was substituted for YHWY. Pentateuch Isaiah foretells a time when Israel will break into a song of exaltation for God's protection over the nation, and is clearly anticipating that occasion. Christ is our wonderful counselor before God. The name Jehovah is a Latinization of the name YHWY, God's personal name, as He revealed it to the Hebrews.