Ms Knight Craft, 57, a major Republican fundraiser, is currently US ambassador to Canada. Many Democrats opposed Craft, questioning her on a range of issues, including the impact of her family's coal fortune on her ability to work on climate issues at the UN. "I have no doubt Ambassador Craft will faithfully represent the United States and I look forward to working with her as she assumes her new role.". Democrats had expressed concern that she lacks the experience needed and that her family ties to the coal industry may influence policy. Craft also faced questions about her extended absences from Canada during her tenure as ambassador. Ms Knight Craft was chosen after Mr Trump's first choice, Heather Nauert, withdrew her candidacy in February. .css-8h1dth-Link{font-family:ReithSans,Helvetica,Arial,freesans,sans-serif;font-weight:700;-webkit-text-decoration:none;text-decoration:none;color:#FFFFFF;}.css-8h1dth-Link:hover,.css-8h1dth-Link:focus{-webkit-text-decoration:underline;text-decoration:underline;}Read about our approach to external linking. She previously served as an alternate delegate to the UN during President George W Bush's administration, where her focuses included Africa. Craft was introduced at her confirmation hearing by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Kentucky Republican who on the morning of her hearing spent time on the Senate floor calling for the rollback of coal industry regulations. Ms Knight Craft has been married to billionaire coal mining businessman Joe Craft since 2016. Craft a third-generation Kentuckian emphasizes the importance of her Kentucky roots. Congress approved Ms Knight Craft's appointment by 56 votes to 34. “As the U.S. UN Ambassador … “Countries think Americans when we arrive they know there’s hope. Is an Irish accent the hardest to master? US results: How will this endless election end? VideoTrump appears at Veterans Day event. Ron Klain has served as an aide to Joe Biden since the 1980s on the Senate Judiciary Committee. CORBIN, Ky. (WYMT) - U.S. Should you tip the takeaway delivery driver? "We need another strong ambassador who will not only advocate for the US, but also be a staunch voice for global human rights and democracy," the Florida Republican said. image caption Ms Knight Craft will replace Nikki Haley who resigned last October. Only five Democrats endorsed her confirmation. Craft is a third-generation Kentuckian, emphasizing the importance of accountability and efficiency throughout her work with nations around the globe but never forgetting where it all started. Sen. Robert Menendez of New Jersey, the leading Democrat on the committee, noted that Craft was away from her post more than 300 days between October 2017 and June 2019. Todd Young of Indiana and Ron Johnson of Wisconsin. In her first U.S. televised interview since accepting her role as ambassador to the United Nations, Kelly Craft explained to Fox News' Eric Shawn on … Trump announces Kelly Knight Craft as UN ambassador pick, Trump appears at Veterans Day event. Washington (CNN)The Senate voted Wednesday to confirm Kelly Craft to be the next US ambassador to the United Nations on a 56-34 largely party-line vote. That’s been one of the most for filling things for me as an American.”. Copyright 2020 WYMT. Read about our approach to external linking. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Ambassador Kelly Craft Permanent Representative U.S. Mission to the United Nations New York City September 12, 2019. “Surround yourself with people that are smarter, people that can say no to you, people that you respect, ask a lot of questions.”. Please login to view this content. .css-14iz86j-BoldText{font-weight:bold;}The US senate has confirmed President Trump's nominee Kelly Knight Craft as the next ambassador to the United Nations. “You know I always tell people that regardless of how long I serve I’ve got my tennis shoes on and I’m going to put them together and come home. Meet Kelly Knight Craft, Trump's UN ambassador pick 01:57 Washington (CNN) The Senate voted Wednesday to confirm Kelly Craft to be the next US ambassador to … Why are the FA boss's comments so offensive? Ambassador to the United Nations, Kelly Crafts, stopped in Corbin on Tuesday to speak to the Southeastern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce. Contact BBC News online - help, feedback and complaints, The burning scar: Inside the destruction of Asia’s last rainforests, 'Murder hornets': More nests likely to be found in US. Craft, who is married to the CEO of Alliance Resource Partners, one of the largest coal producers in the US, said she would recuse herself from any UN discussions on coal. Craft has been a major donor to the Republican Party, the Republican National Committee and Trump's 2016 election campaign, as well as to several of the Republican lawmakers on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee who voted to approve her nomination in June. Kelly Craft started as U.S. © 2020 BBC. She is the 30th and current United States Ambassador to the United Nations since September 2019. 'Don't weaponise the net' warns former cyber-chief. The former Fox News presenter said she made the decision for family reasons after a "gruelling" two months in the spotlight. All rights reserved. Kelly Craft: Congress confirms UN ambassador pick. Kelly Craft has taken her Kentucky raising to one of the biggest stages in the world, serving as the United States Ambassador to the United Nations. 1 August 2019. image copyright Reuters. Read this story and more for just $.99 cents today, or subscribe to get access every day!. When Menendez pointed out that her absences continued well after the talks had concluded -- with Craft spending an average of 20 days a month outside Canada in the eight months since negotiations ended -- she said other conversations were required to iron out issues. “To be able to talk to mothers that want the same things that we want for our children it will forever stay with me and I learned that you can’t get back on that plane and shut the door," said Ambassador Craft. The job is not expected to be the Cabinet-level posting that Haley had insisted upon, leaving Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and national security adviser John Bolton firmly in control of US foreign policy. Her appointment ends a period of more than seven months when the US was without a permanent ambassador to the UN. Ambassador to the United Nations, Kelly Craft, visits Corbin. During her confirmation hearing, she vowed to continue efforts to push for UN reforms and defended Mr Trump's decision to reduce payments to the UN. How the UK reached 50,000 coronavirus deaths, In pictures: Two minutes' silence to mark Armistice Day, I am desperate to go home, says worried student, What Trump could do after leaving the White House. ", Meet Kelly Knight Craft, Trump's UN ambassador pick, Senators press Trump nominee for UN ambassador on climate and her coal ties. “As the U.S. UN Ambassador one of my main priorities is to protect American taxpayers and Kentucky taxpayers dollars at the UN and that’s by really encouraging transparency actually demanding transparency," said Ambassador Craft. President Donald Trump tweeted his congratulations on Thursday. U.S. Updated 1250 GMT (2050 HKT) August 1, 2019. Sen. Marco Rubio said he applauded the Senate for confirming Craft. Later reports found that Craft spent the equivalent of seven of her 20 months as the US ambassador to Canada in the United States, in places where she had homes. Before, she was the United States ambassador to Canada, the first woman to hold the post.. On Wednesday, McConnell praised Craft's confirmation, calling her "a very impressive individual. Kelly Dawn Knight Craft (née Guilfoil; born February 24, 1962) is an American diplomat. No 10 exit much more than a random resignation. Craft said she had been traveling for the trade negotiations with Canada and Mexico. Published. 119 in Bell County, Governor Beshear: ‘This entire state is in danger’ as Kentucky reports another record number of new COVID-19 cases, Appalachian Artisan Center telethon raises more than $21,000. Ambassador to Canada in October 2017, plunging immediately into contentious trade negotiations on behalf of a president who was … .css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:link{color:inherit;}.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:visited{color:#696969;}.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:link,.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:visited{-webkit-text-decoration:none;text-decoration:none;}.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:link:hover,.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:visited:hover,.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:link:focus,.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:visited:focus{color:#B80000;-webkit-text-decoration:underline;text-decoration:underline;}.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:link::after,.css-1hlxxic-PromoLink:visited::after{content:'';position:absolute;top:0;right:0;bottom:0;left:0;z-index:2;}Trump announces Kelly Knight Craft as UN ambassador pick, Heather Nauert withdraws bid to be US envoy to UN, Biden names top aide as White House chief of staff.